Wheel lock keys?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
Nadia
Car: G35 Coupe 2004

Has anyone ever lost these? How much does it cost to get them replaced - I'm assuming the warranty doesn't cover it? The guy I bought the car from lost his.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Go on ebay and get it from there.. I don't think you can get it cheaper anywhere else.

zozoka

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

You probably won't find the correct key on Ebay. If they're factory locks, you need to go to the dealer and give them your VIN. They should be able to order a replacement for you. They're not all the same.

-Jerome

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

zozoka1212 wrote:Go on ebay and get it from there.. I don't think you can get it cheaper anywhere else.

zozoka
I don't think it's quite that easy Zozoka... at least I hope it's not! That is to say that If I were a crafty wheel thief (Not that wheel thieves are crafty, otherwise they'd be wheel doctors or wheel lawyers ) then I could just order a set of wheel locks for the car that I wanted to steal rims off and then take my pick of the litter... I think that defeats the purpose of wheel locks... I had to get mine through the dealership as somone took the key out of my car before delivery and I noticed it a couple days into my ownership experience... Dealership brought me a new wheel key to my office next day free of charge...

zozoka1212

I have to check mine. I don't think it is that difficult. I'll see if I can copy mine. Do you guys want to bet?

Zozoka

ArizonaG35

I'll bet they're not all universal... as when the kid who brought me the wheel key to my office the next day had about 6 keys with him and he had to try a couple before we got one that matched my wheel lock... I think they make a few different key versions so to the original poster, I'd make sure you have the right pattern before you buy...

zozoka1212

Yea I went out to check mine. It doesn't look to difficult to make one. I can probably write a program for it and make one on CNC fast there isn'ttoo many different one. It looks really simple. I check out tomorrow at the dealership how many different one I could find. If I won't show up tomorrow is because I got arrested trying to steal from thre dealership.

Zozoka

infinititech1

they make master sets...i have one lol... the dealership should have a masterset...just ask them to remove 'em

zozoka1212

There you go. How many different keys are in a set?

Zozoka

zozoka1212

arizonaferrell wrote:
I don't think it's quite that easy Zozoka... at least I hope it's not!
If you think you are safe because of the wheel lock then think again. I did not read thru but sure looks simple.

http://members.tripod.com/~mot....html

Zozoka

ArizonaG35

Huh... I didn't think it was that easy to re-create the wheel locks, but I'm not too worried...

1. I live in a gated community with 24 hour security2. car is garaged at the house (under security camera)3. car is garaged at the office (underground and gated)4. There's rarely a time in the day that I don't have a .45 Caliber automatic pistol on my hip... I'm a deadeye shot!

If a car thieving wheel monkey can get past all that and he really wants my factory rims that bad... He deserves them!

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

zozoka1212 wrote:
If you think you are safe because of the wheel lock then think again. I did not read thru but sure looks simple.

http://members.tripod.com/~mot....html

Zozoka
Had you read through it, you would have realized that its only possible to steal the SPARE wheel/tire.

-Jerome

johnparkyourcar
Car: 03 DG coupe 5AT

i have the same problem too. i went to get my brakes replaced and i noticed i didnt have the wheel lock key so i looked like such a dumbass when the mechanic was asking for it. so i bought the car used and the guy before put in zinik rims. so how would i go about this... the mechanic said he can take it off but it'll be a pain and then i can order new locks...

ya i know its super clean. but its cuz im a neat freak.

zozoka1212

As Infinititech says there are masterkey sets. It only takes much for the pro thiefs to get a set. Most likely for couple of hundred $ maybe not even. It is bigger pain in the a$$ for the owners sometimes. Some of them worn out and rounded and useless and you try to take your wheels off and you can't. If you are lucky enough it isn't urgent. If you are on roadside with no warranty than it would be pricey and time killer. If you have a set of nice wheels sure but for the factory set?

Sorry Nadia we went off from the topic.

Zozoka

Nadia

Ha, it's okay. If it would be so easy to get keys off ebay and such, what's the point? Well I guess it still helps. I'll ask the dealership first...ergh..I hope its not actually a couple hundred dollars!

zozoka1212

If you not worrying about losing your wheel just ask them to take them off for you. You can replace them with the original ones. I actually did that with my Saab. When I bought it I asked them to replace it with original. They even give me the locking ones in the bag. I guess they did not need it. I am not worrying about my wheels.

Good luck at the dealership let us know how it turned out.

Zozoka

Nadia

I went to the dealership today(alignment problem) and asked about the keys. It's $65 to replace the locks and get new keys. I'll probably get them next week when I have to go back in. Thanks for all the responses..
Modified by Nadia at 11:56 AM 8/8/2007

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”