Wheel bearings

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
katrinastumpf
Car: 2007 FX35

I have a 2007 FX35 and I recently took it to the Infiniti dealership for routine maintenance. They said my front wheel bearings were loose and needed replacing ASAP. I was told they wouldn't pass state inspection (Virginia-even though it wasn't due). I was a little sticker shocked by the price quoted, so I took the FX to another non Infiniti mechanic for a 2nd opinion. I have heard no noise, no steering wobble and there are only 61K miles on it. The 2nd mechanic said the wheel bearings were fine, not loose or even remotely bad.

The Infiniti technician still maintains they are bad but when I called them back, they 'reduced' the urgency a bit.

Has anyone had a wheel bearing go bad without 'symptoms' and at such relatively low mileage? Could the Infiniti certified mechanic really see something they ASE certified one didn't? Or am I getting taken for a ride????

Thank you!

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Premature wheel bearing failure is common on the '02-'08 Infiniti's. The most common symptom is medium to loud humming type of noise when you drive. You may hear grinding noises if they bearings become extremely bad. Wheel bearings should be replaced under the drive train warranty, if you haven't exceeded it's limitations.

calemonlaw

It is possible the hub nut wasn't tightened enough which can cause a knocking noise on hard corners progressing to a knocking noise all the time. The drive shaft moving and the bearing wearing into the hub cause this. If this is the case you need a new hub and bearing. It can also be that if the front drive shaft has been removed to replace a CV joint or boot some dirt was allowed into the bearing causing accelerated wear.

Thanks,
California Lemon Law

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”