Wheel Bearing...?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

It's been a few years (try 20) since I had a wheel bearing go out and my crack father who both diagnosed and fixed it is no longer with us. So I turn to you.

Car makes a roaring noise when making and holding a right turn or curve. Makes no noise when going left or straight but is very slightly perceptible when stopping straight.

Tires need rotating but are about 17K into their 60K mileage warranty, the brakes are new all the way around as of 15K miles ago, and the steering rack was replaced by the dealer when I bought it 18 months and 22K miles ago.

My call is bad front left wheel bearing.

Any other thoughts or confirmations? Thanks!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey schaffs04, whats a crack father? (no disrespect intended, just curious)

As you describe, I'd suspect your front left wheel bearing is going bad. To confirm, jack the car up, put your hands on the front tire and wheel and see how it turns, if it wiggles or can slide in or out. Any movement other than smooth turning in the proper direction is a sign of bad bearings (not to be confused with a little drag from the front brake pads rubbing on the rotor). That you don't get issues in a straight line or turning the other way is good news that you probably won't have the bearing burst right away but bad news because it might be a little tough to feel the 'play' in movement.

Replacement is sourcing the correct bearings, getting a local shop with large press to swap the bearing on the hub, remove and replace (takes a very large socket a huge breaker bar and a huge torque wrench). Consider swapping the pair (both front) for peace of mind. The play in the bad bearing on one side is making the good bearing on the other side work that much harder so it is stressed and should be replaced imho.

PS - with the car front jacked up and off the ground, turn the wheel all the way right and just check for potential interference or rubbing of any components like the brake lines or something. Maybe after the work was done in the past, something has come loose. Other than that, back to the bearings I'd think. Is your car AWD? That could add potential axle and drive-train issues to be considered.

schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

Sorry, my "crack father" was meant to be a play on "crack detective", or a highly accomplished one. My dad could diagnose and properly fix just about anything. He's the one who taught me to turn wrenches.

In any event, it in fact was the front driver's wheel bearing. Had my independent mechanic replace it for about $450 all in.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Ah, the good kind of crack, gotcha!

I'm glad it's fixed now. That's quite a price, but a fair one I'm sure. Back to business as usual! :bigthumb:

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”