Wheel bearing rwd vs awd

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
sonnyboy80

I have a 2006 Infiniti m35 RWD. I went to autozone to purchase a wheel bearin for the front. The guy gave me one and said it was AWD but his computer said i could use it. I put it on. No issues. Just have some grinding noise which i think is dirt on the brake pads. I lost the recept. They cost $125 for one. I seen a pair of 2 for like
$90 on amazon, but since i lost the receipt, i will just keep this one. My question is is it ok to keep an AWD front wheel bearing on instead of a RWD wheel bearing. The only difference we could see is it has a groove for the spindle, whereas my cars original wheel bearing is smooth and does not have a spindle.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Hmm, that's an interesting one. Personally, I'd rather do the job right but if you replace, you'll have to eat the cost of the $125...so perhaps just drive it an see what happens? Worst case the bearing goes bad quicker than the correct one would have. I don't think you have any risk of ruining anything else, but I'm not an expert...

sonnyboy80

thanks for the reply. thats what i was thinking. so far it feels good, but now i have to fix a grinding noise. i think there may be a tiny pebble on the brake, when i took it off.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

The other thing you could to confirm is take a look at an official infiniti parts site and compare part numbers of the bearings...if it's the same part number then you're 100% confirmed good to go.

cjstringer920
Car: '09 M35x

Digging up an older post..

Did you have to replace the ABS Sensor at the same time?
I'll be doing this repair in the next couple weeks. Want to do it all at once if I have to. Can't afford to have the car down for multiple days.

moftz
Car: 2006 M35x, 140k mi

cjstringer920 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 am
Digging up an older post..

Did you have to replace the ABS Sensor at the same time?
I'll be doing this repair in the next couple weeks. Want to do it all at once if I have to. Can't afford to have the car down for multiple days.
I replaced both front wheel bearings one evening after work. I got the large socket for the wheel nut at harbor freight so it was super cheap. Also be sure to use a torque wrench on the parts that require it. The service manual has the numbers in there. I left my ABS sensors in there, only replaced the wheel bearing.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”