Wheel bearing dust cap?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
tiafn2
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

Bought a new Moog bearing to replace the right front one I have going bad on my '06 M45. When I opened the box there is the bearing itself and what appears to be a dust cap that goes on the back but does not seem to attach in any positive way to the bearing. I'm sure I could bend the dust cap edges in a little bit to make it bite onto the bearing but it seems odd that I would have to do something like that. Am I missing something?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

tiafn2

Yes. And that metal cap with the 2 holes fits very, very loose. No way that it stays on going down the road as it is. Wondering if I got a defective cap or if there's something I'm missing to connect the cap to the bearing.

cjstringer920
Car: '09 M35x

Interesting you posted this as I was getting on today to look for the best option. My drivers side front wheel bearing is starting to whine a little bit. For that price it seems to be a no brainer if it works. Let us know!

tiafn2

Ended up bending in the edges of the dust cap just a little bit in a few places to make it slightly smaller than where it attaches to the bearing. Then lightly tapped it in place to bite onto the bearing. I give it a 50/50 shot at holding for the life of the bearing. But there's no way this is how it is supposed to work from Moog. I just didn't want to pull the new bearing back out after getting it fully installed and torqued. My advice would be to check the fitment before installation and install the pieces already together (properly attached).

EdBwoy

I'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't rattle loose and end up affecting the wheel speed sensor.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

@tiafn2 - Was replacing the bearing yourself fairly straightforward? My front driver side just started making noise and cost to have a mechanic around me do the fronts is $900 for parts and labor. Aftermarket bearings like from Moog or Centric look like they will cost me $250 for the parts so that seems like a pretty high labor charge involved. Seems like it comes out to about 7 hours of work according to the mechanic?

Just for kicks I asked the new dealer that just opened up in my city what they wanted to do it with OEM parts and their cost was $1715. LOL. Plus they have to special order parts anyway since they dont even stock items for our Y50 platform anymore. Which if I estimate the high price of the OEM bearing right, and the alignment they want to do, that would seem like it equates to the dealer thinking it will take 4 hours of work. Hmm.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Took a look behind my wheel bearings today, and the OEM ones dont even have a dust camp over the back. So I guess if yours falls off no big deal.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”