Whats wrong with the pacesetter Headers?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
sohc90adel
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx HB 5 speed Grey

Cmon people whats wrong with the headers? Nobody has anything good to say about them? Did anyone try them? They have to be better than stock. Explain to people why these headers are no good. There only 130 bucks new. I understand you get what you pay for but thats a really low price and they cant be non funtional can they?

daniel240
Car: cars/motocross

they dont fit good, they will rust, they are very poor quality, and will probably crack on you, and wont gain much hp. go hotshot for headers.

sohc90adel

Really i could care less if they rust i want to know if they perform better than stock. I saw these headers and they looked pretty good. I need to know if anyone has installed them in their ka24e. let me know

JJ240
Car: 95 white 240

You should do a search before you post. If you search Pace Setter you will see an article called Hot Shot vs Pace Setter. It would have answered your question if you had read it before posting.

daniel240
Car: cars/motocross

yes please search, basically all you will find is that pacesetter sucks, hotshot rules.

goshoryuken
Car: Tuning, Dentistry

They probably perform a little better then stock but then again . .would you really want it to rot and decay on you? I don't think your engine would agree with that decision . . .always ask your engine first.

sammy
Car: cars, guns, music......the usual guy stuff

hey now.......i have a pacesetter on my 89......it works WAY better than a warped manifold..........the rust prob can easily be solved, just install the header and burn the shipping paint off, then remove it, clean it up and paint it with high temp paint. some of these guys bash them, but i'm happy with mine

goshoryuken
Car: Tuning, Dentistry

Or you can use the high temperature header tape.

toki

They don't fit. They make them wrong, they are horribly slow to make and ship, and if they don't make it wrong, they make the wrong kind, or send you the wrong kind. Seriously. Don't even try and deal with them.

:: orion ::
Car: '96 240SX, with KA-T @ 12psi...

You get what you pay for. Period.

ShadowKnight006
Car: 95 240SX & 96 Altima

toki wrote:They don't fit. They make them wrong, they are horribly slow to make and ship, and if they don't make it wrong, they make the wrong kind, or send you the wrong kind. Seriously. Don't even try and deal with them.

Who sends you the wrong kind? Wouldn't you go through an authorized dealer who has them in stock(i.e. Summit Racing for me, though I haven't bought any yet)? Don't try to deal with who? I have read many of your posts, are you always in a bad mood when you post?

toki

No, i've never heard of an "otherized dealer" of pacesetters, but then you deal with them personally or through mail order, even through a shop, they very frequently will send you the wrong pre made equipment, "custom make" you a header that doesn't fit, or mess up some other random way. Pacesetter = thumbs down.

toki

ShadowKnight006 wrote:I have read many of your posts, are you always in a bad mood when you post?

no, but you are welcome to leave whenever you please if you don't like it, the door is to your left.

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

actually, i have heard decent reviews of the pacesetter on the ka24e. i have heard many bad things about the ka24de header fitment. really unless you have done everything that you can think of to your kaE (dont forget cams, high comp., porting, ecu, injectors to name a few) a header is far from necessity. stock sohc cast iron manifold with full 2.5 exhaust system will carry you past 200 n/a hp, if you build the engine. if you want a cheap bolt-on to gain 3-5 hp go for the pacesetter, hotshot really imho is not worth the price, and thats all i can really compare to

ShadowKnight006
Car: 95 240SX & 96 Altima

toki wrote:no, but you are welcome to leave whenever you please if you don't like it, the door is to your left.

With that I rest my case.

And now back to the topic........

I have heard that there have been cases(here on NICO, try searching for them) where welds have blown on the pace setters but I don't know under what condition or which engine(DE or E) and a little weld re-enforcement(sp?) was all that was needed. I say for anyone on a budget or who isn't putting out that much power yet they would probably be fine. For the price, if they turn out like s*** there not much lost, knowledged gained.

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

deviousKA wrote:really unless you have done everything that you can think of to your kaE (dont forget cams, high comp., porting, ecu, injectors to name a few) a header is far from necessity. stock sohc cast iron manifold with full 2.5 exhaust system will carry you past 200 n/a hp, if you build the engine.
what's the point of building the engine then suffocating it with the stock manifold? forget the 3-5 peak hp gain, you're cheating yourself out of gains across the powerband by not switching to some type of header.

show me a built KA24E that's pulling over 200hp n/a and still using the oem manifold.

-demetrius

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

ok i dont feel like a flame war, no i dont have any dyno sheets to back anything up, nor do i want to argue. just speaking from my knowledge of building the ka and maybe 200 crank hp is a bit high. but all i said was that i would not have a hotshot if was goin to get there. and that stock manifold will carry more flow than one would think (for a stock mani. anyway). i would/am upgrading other aspects of engine first.

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

not trying to flame. just stating that building any n/a engine with most of the stock manifolds used today isn't smart. imo, the first upgrades should be to the exhaust system. cams, intake, headwork etc. all allow the engine to pull in more air, but all that work isn't going perform it's best through a stock manifold.

-demetrius

sohc90adel

well i have the headers and i am so pleased! car responds better and the headers are ugly, i have to admit, but who cares! im not going to a car show any time soon. all i have to say is if you want the headers and are worried about pacesetter quality, you are just fine. i doubt very much the other headers can do any better... any real mechanic will look at the sets of headers and price and they will pick pacesetter because of price. They will tell you the coating you put on it does not do much.. and as for the welds it wont break. but hey if you dont believe me waste your money..

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”