What to look for?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

jrt8222 wrote:Fixin to buy a 91' 300ZX TT with 87k miles on it, lightly modded. The exterior is in great condition but I dont know jack about Z engines. Ask me about a honda and I can tell you but I honestly dont know what to check for as far as what a car with X amount of miles on it. Any ideas? Someone said Fanbelts on Z's but other than that what should I check for? Help me out here guys (girls) need some pointer so I dont buy a lemon. :help
First thing realize that aging cars, especially twin turbo aging cars are fairly expensive for maintenance on a yearly basis. Luckily about 75% of the things that will eventually if not already need to be replaced are easily DIY'able.Hmmm..things to look for.Stumble under WOT.(could be a half dozen different sensors)Max Boost under WOT, Boost during cruise. Just pay attention to the boost gauge a lot.Floating during high speeds and dipping during braking(dampers)You said "lightly modded", is there a turbo timer, this could be a good sign as the owner was interested in the vehicles health. Ask for maintenance records.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

First off, you should have posted this in the 300zx section.

anyhow, while i was in the market for another car i was madly (and still am) in love with the Z31 (84-89 300zx)

check on the recalls for the car and find out if the owner has addressed them, because there are many, and DEFINITELY BY ALL MEANS check out http://www.z31.com they have a faq about what to look for in a z31, and there are enthusiasts on the board there to help you out

hope that helps

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

Yeah, check out 300zx forums to see whats up.The best thing to do is test drive it. Learn from it first hand, and make sure it has a clean record.

jrt8222
Car: cars,girls,cars...

Fixin to buy a 91' 300ZX TT with 87k miles on it, lightly modded. The exterior is in great condition but I dont know jack about Z engines. Ask me about a honda and I can tell you but I honestly dont know what to check for as far as what a car with X amount of miles on it. Any ideas? Someone said Fanbelts on Z's but other than that what should I check for? Help me out here guys (girls) need some pointer so I dont buy a lemon. :help

boileralum00
Car: 94 Miata, 95 FZR600R

Also, join twinturbo.net and check out the FAQs in the Tech section there. There is a great writeup on what to look for when purchasing a used Z32 Turbo. Also, the recalls on the Z32 were few and far between, and they pretty much are only for very early 1990 models (that were manufactured in 1989).

drjohn

First ask for maintenance records,oil changes,tuneups, timing belt should have been replaced at 60K this can be a $400-$600 job, brakes and check auto trans if equiped. This vehicle can be a high maintenance purchase if it has not been kept up with. Ask if you can take it to the dealer to be checked out for needed work and go from there. This may cost a few bucks but in the long run you will know what your getting. If they say no I would probably walk away.

quiksilvia
Car: 95 s14 se

skydragoness5 wrote:First off, you should have posted this in the 300zx section.

anyhow, while i was in the market for another car i was madly (and still am) in love with the Z31 (84-89 300zx)

check on the recalls for the car and find out if the owner has addressed them, because there are many, and DEFINITELY BY ALL MEANS check out http://www.z31.com they have a faq about what to look for in a z31, and there are enthusiasts on the board there to help you out

hope that helps
You're a moron skygragoness... first off, he is in the 300zx section.. and secondly, he's talking about a 1991 (Z32) Nissan 300zx and you're rambling about Z31.com ..... If he wants to learn about a Z32 (300zx's between 1990-1996) he needs to chek out : http://www.twinturbo.net and read under FAQ and SEARCH.

boileralum00
Car: 94 Miata, 95 FZR600R

Holy post resurrection, Batman!

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

quite.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”