What to do with the TPMS sensors with winter tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

I'm getting a set of winter tires with steel rims and am wondering if I need to get a second set of these devices which I'm sure are not cheap. Or do you just put up with the dash light on all the time when you have these wheels on

Thanks

philipa_240sx

sckeith wrote:Or do you just put up with the dash light on all the time when you have these wheels on
I do not recommend going with a second set of TPMS sensors on your winter tires for 2 reasons:

1. The lack of TPMS sensors does not affect the VDC or ABS systems. It is safe to run without them. Just be sure to regularly check tire pressures.

2. Running 2 sets of sensors will involve costly reprogramming of the TPMS system by a Nissan dealer every time you change the wheels/tires. The system can only recognize 4 TPMS sensors at a time. There is no way to reprogram them yourself.

I don't have TPMS sensors on my winter wheels/tires. No problems except for the annoying dash light... a 1/2" square piece of black electrical tape fixed that.

In the spring; put your summer tires/wheels back on, make sure they are inflated to 35psi, and drive 15 minutes at speeds above 25mph (40km/h). The TPMS light should turn off.

Read more in the TPMS FAQ.

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I also run a set of winter tires and rims without TPMS sensors with no problems other than the constant warning light.

As soon as you mount your original wheels back on in the spring and drive a few miles the light will go out.

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

Has anyone been able to find the re-set ground wire for the TPMS sensors around the drivers side steering/brake pedal area? supposed to be there as per shop manual

Return to “Rogue Forum”