What The Hell..???

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

My '06 M just keeps on running and running. Granted I don't have that many miles on it (106k). It still runs/handles/looks like a champ, has all the extras I need and is comfortable. Damn, I wanna' start looking at a new car-but I've got no rational reason nor wife's permission to do same. Can anyone help convince me/her???

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

I am right there with you. I've been looking for something new every year for the past few...but I just cannot justify giving up my 06M35x. It is comfy, has all the features I need, most reliable vehicle I've owned on par with a few Honda Accords.

My only gripe is Infiniti corporate. They tell me if my dash cracks after airbag replacement, I got my money's worth already, so no recourse with them, and that is the bottom line they are taking.

picoman
Car: 2006 M35X

Same boat, broheim.

at 107k, with all the oils/fluids/maintenance up to date, there is a ton of life left in this car and there is nothing about it that concerns me in terms of reliability except for the prop shaft that goes "clink" when going into reverse that I need to replace sooner than later.

I really like the M35x, but want for a more modern auto trans, perhaps another 40-50hp, and improved mileage. The car that fits the bill for me is a 2012 BMW 535i xdrive. I have always been able to do my own repairs but would be unwilling to on a car like that (12+ hours for a turbo replacement or oil pan gasket, no thanks).

If the Q50 3.7 had the same sweet ZF 8 speed auto that BMW does, I think it would be easy to spend some money. Unfortunately for me, most cars that I would choose to afford would be either a downgrade or a potential dumpster fire in terms of upkeep

Newer cars are not getting any cheaper or easier to keep on the road. Hard times for being a frugal enthusiast.

picoman
Car: 2006 M35X

LIBRILZ wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am

Q50 of all years has the JATCO 7-speed transmission, the rear end gearing is different though so gas mileage is supposed to be a little better on highway
I was very disappointed in how slow and confused the 7 speed was on kick-down, even in sport mode. Someone needs to provide a software update for the car that plays the dialup modem sound through the speakers while the car is trying to figure out how to downshift. The ZF 8 speed in the BMW is nearly telepathic, especially with the Alpina re-flash.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

picoman wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 pm
LIBRILZ wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am

Q50 of all years has the JATCO 7-speed transmission, the rear end gearing is different though so gas mileage is supposed to be a little better on highway
I was very disappointed in how slow and confused the 7 speed was on kick-down, even in sport mode. Someone needs to provide a software update for the car that plays the dialup modem sound through the speakers while the car is trying to figure out how to downshift. The ZF 8 speed in the BMW is nearly telepathic, especially with the Alpina re-flash.
Im sure it is..I don't trust the durability of it though..Nissan/Jatco need to come out with a 8 or 9 speed for their newer vehicles imo..The Q50 red sports have a smaller engine, more horsepower..yet only 26 on the highway..I think they could/should do better than that

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I hear you lot. There is no point to getting another Infiniti sedan. In fact, my 09 has options that aren't even available since 2010 (temp controlled reclining rear seats with full A/V controls in the armrest, dual sun visors, tilting front head rests, etc. The models after 2010 lost a couple inches in width and length, they have the same radio, same everything, but less options and less kit. Mine does not have all around camera view but I have no need for it. My 09 has 105k miles, is more than up to date with maintenance, and looks as good or better than anything in the dealer showroom today. If my car went titz-up tomorrow, my first choice would be a used Jag XJ. If I was unable to find one I liked, then I MIGHT consider a used Q70L. I refuse to take the 'hit' by purchasing a new car and losing half my investment in 2 years. I'm hoping my 09 will last until the actual re-designed (2020) models start coming back after the 2-3 year leases run out.
I've even considered and driven a Bentley Arnage R (2004). It had 17,000 miles, was in pristine condition, and was offered at $45,900 with a 12 month / 10,000 mile warranty. I was soooooooooo ready to grab it, but the lovely Misses reminded me of the $400 oil changes, the $1,500 yearly check-up / maintenance fee , etc and I changed my mind.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Call me Mr. Me Too. I so want to get rid of this and get something else, but can't justify it. Compounding I simply don't enjoy driving like I used to, spending the type of money on the cars I'm interested in would be a waste. It feels so good having a car that runs and looks like new with no payments. Panamara, Q7, XJ in that order. It's crazy wanting a car to go or look bad....better be careful of what we wish for smh.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I traded in my 07 M35x with 142kmi on it that had ZERO issues. I went to my dealer to get my belts looked at as I couldn't quite get them just right to stop squeeling and walked out with an M56x completely out of the blue. Had I not seen that M56x sitting there, I would probably still be driving that M35x. I miss that car. I had it done perfectly and I didn't de-mod it when I traded it in so someone got lucky with some goodies (one off exhaust from MXP, etc.).

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

I see some of my old-timer (Larz/Ilya) buddies are still around. Yeah, these damn post '05 M's are a real PITA when U wanna' act irrationally...

Larz

antzrus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 am
I see some of my old-timer (Larz/Ilya) buddies are still around. Yeah, these damn post '05 M's are a real PITA when U wanna' act irrationally...
Always great to hear from you, Antz. Try to keep in touch when you're not trekking about in the RV !

gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

I'm on the same page as most of you. My 06' M35X just turned 92,000 on the clock, is up to speed on all service schedules, and has been pretty much free of any issues. I've looked at the Q 70L a couple of times but I can't push myself to buy. I've had a couple of Q70L's as loaners while in for service with the 3.7 and while their nice I can't see $50,000 dollars worth of difference. My M35X still looks and runs great!!

Larz

gavnator wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:09 am
I'm on the same page as most of you. My 06' M35X just turned 92,000 on the clock, is up to speed on all service schedules, and has been pretty much free of any issues. I've looked at the Q 70L a couple of times but I can't push myself to buy. I've had a couple of Q70L's as loaners while in for service with the 3.7 and while their nice I can't see $50,000 dollars worth of difference. My M35X still looks and runs great!!
I hear you mate. I tested a Genesis G90 - fully equipped ($70k). The amount of kit they come with makes the Inifniti look like a stipped down ford. It has features that Inifniti has never had at any price point. The ride is near silent but not as cushy as the Q70. The rear seat has the same controls as the driver - plus dual air/con controls and 4 separate vents back there. It has electric shades for the side and rear windows. It is 90% an S-class Mercedes in every way but for $30k less than an S-class. And it has that VERY long warranty. The only 'thing' is that it's a large sum of money for a Hyundai. I have to say though, they made the G90 as perfect as any sedan can be.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Hey Larz, U remembered I got that RoadTrek RV when I retired. Yes, it's really a ball to play the gypsy role and roll around at will with a built-in bathroom (that damn prostrate keeps getting bigger as I get older...). It really is almost like a car it is so small; about the same size as my wife's Suburban.

I've also got x2 grandchildren now. My oldest lives in Bangkok (company moving them to Singapore this month) with his Belgium sig other. They have a little boy & girl so we've also spent a lot of time traveling to Bangkok over the past 7 years. I see lots of BMW's and Mercedes there, but have yet to see any kind of Infiniti.

Funny U should favor the G90. I've been lusting after it as well. However, as I've said my M is still a too rational choice and the G90 probably needs a few more years under its belt before it's had time to squash the newbie bugs.

I'll be in touch; provided I stay vertical postponing the big sleep and the river don't rise... :-))

nemo1
Car: 2008 m35x

well I am still hanging around as well. My 08 M35x has 114k and runs great. My son is going to be driving it in about 2 months. I bit the bullet and now drive a 2019 RDX Advance SH-AWD. I do miss the M and when I do drive it, it is the same awesome ride. Knock on wood no issues once I (or we) solved the tram lining, steering rack and tire issues back in 08/09. All that said, the RDX is a blast to drive and having the updated infotainment (Apple car play) is just icing.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Good that we are still vertical (most of the time-naps are good...).

" ...solved the tram lining, steering rack and tire issues back in 08/09."

Yes, I remember our struggles with the tramlining. I even lent my new Contis DWS tires to another fellow (he gave me a bottle of wine) while we both were in the shop in Seattle to try to fix his tramlining. It worked! We sure went around and around re all kinds of fixes until we got rid of those damn Goodyear OEM tires.

We also went around and around re this list as the moderators were nixed re all kinds of innuendo et al.

Time does fly and gravity does increase as well too...

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Been a while since I last signed on. This damn 06' M35x of mine keeps chugging away in A+ style. I put new rubber on her; Michelin CrossClimate 2. These are the smoothest, quietest and best in the snow I've ever had on this car. Buying tires has been a scary thing for me recalling the tramlining that plagued the OEM Goodyear's back in the early days '06-'08. But these guys are excellent for this model. IMHO their snow performance is on par w/a dedicated snow tire.

Any of U oldtimers still around/alive...? :dblthumb:

Larz

antzrus wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:11 pm
Been a while since I last signed on. This damn 06' M35x of mine keeps chugging away in A+ style. I put new rubber on her; Michelin CrossClimate 2. These are the smoothest, quietest and best in the snow I've ever had on this car. Buying tires has been a scary thing for me recalling the tramlining that plagued the OEM Goodyear's back in the early days '06-'08. But these guys are excellent for this model. IMHO their snow performance is on par w/a dedicated snow tire.

Any of U oldtimers still around/alive...? :dblthumb:
Glad to hear from you! I'm still driving an M35 and absolutely NO issues. Always been a fan of Michelins and I have read that the Cross Climate is a quieter ride than the Pilot Sport line. Stay safe and well, mate!

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Hey Larz, good to hear from U again. Glad to hear about yer M. Yeah, the Michelins are very quiet but also so smooth riding. It's like my suspension has been improved. I've been lusting after a Genesis G80 for the last 2 years, but again my damn M just won't let me go with her good manners and longevity of enjoyment driving her. I only have about 120k miles on her so I guess we'll stick together for a while. Stay safe.

Larz

antzrus wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:56 am
Hey Larz, good to hear from U again. Glad to hear about yer M. Yeah, the Michelins are very quiet but also so smooth riding. It's like my suspension has been improved. I've been lusting after a Genesis G80 for the last 2 years, but again my damn M just won't let me go with her good manners and longevity of enjoyment driving her. I only have about 120k miles on her so I guess we'll stick together for a while. Stay safe.
The Genesis G80 / G90 are the ONLY choices to replace my M. I actually reviewed the G90 and the article is on the home page here. I'm with you. No need to buy anything for the foreseeable future as our generation M's are simply bullet proof when maintained properly.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Nice piece Larz. A number of years ago I rented a Hyundai and took it all over the little country of Israel. It sipped gas, was well built and did dusty desert and hilly dirt roads w/no problems. I was very impressed. The new G's remind me of my M; similar lines and great interiors. I've seen lots of videos about them and when my too bulletproof M is ready to part ways (maybe someone will hit me... ;-)) ) it's a new G80 for me. The G90 is a bit too big for me as my two sons have long left Kitty and me for lives of their own. I still tool around in my '13 RoadTrek 190P. Been retired now for 9 years. Loving it.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

My '06 is still running strong @ 150k miles. I replaced my original rotors at 139k....one was damaged from frozen pins. I ordered my M with a Sirius radio back in '05....then got a lifetime Sirius subscription for $399. It is still kicking today!

The 2023 G90 will be on the market in the US 2cd. quarter of 2022...so they say. The extended wheelbase model is coming to US market at that time also....so they say! I love the extended version...has a full length console like the BMW 7 series executive seating package option has. If priced right, I am going for it!

I wonder where palmerwind is these days. Back in '05, I joined the newly formed 06 "M" forum on "Fresh Alloy". He was a moderator on Fresh Alloy...I miss those days when we were all new to the 06 M's and we shared all the things we discovered while learning about this new model!
The build date on my M is 07/05...took delivery in August 2005! Never met anyone on an M forum with a lower production number.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Hey Steve: The '06 M does keep running and fun to drive; still after all these years. I remember palmerwind too. I remember there was some scandal back then about some moderator working for another list or something? Was he involved? Whatever, it was a lot fun and helpful back in those days attempting to sort out how to mod and fix the damn tramlining.

I remember discovering for me (and many others) it was the OEM Goodyears that caused the tramlining. It was a change to the Contis that did it. A fellow who lived in Seattle even had his steering rack replaced by warranty (as many did) and it still was a crappy ride. I had a service in Seattle and he came and took my wheels from the shop rack onto his M and went for a drive. It cured it for him. I got a bottle of wine in return and a bunch of our guys finally switching tires after that episode.

As I've said I've lusted after the Genesis M80 for the past x2 years. But my trusty (damn it!) M won't let go of me. I hope the years have been good to you as to me. Stay safe.

Shanemm
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

I only got my M 9 months ago, it was a big upgrade from my '98 Camry. I got it for KBB so about half price of the current market value. Had never been a fan of Nissan and really had no idea about the M series, but I do love the car. It's changed some of my views, though I'll never change my stance on anything with a CVT transmission. Aside from a, long overdue, radiator fan replacement just last week it's been great. The 3 days I was back in the Camry (which I Love) it just felt like a toy. Between my two Toyota's and my '91 Volvo I'll say I've been spoiled on reliability compared to my first 3 cars Mitsubishi, VW, and Ford. The M from everything I have read and done seems reliable and serviceable compared to some of my previous cars. The whole radiator fan was 5, 10mm bolts and a hose clamp. Only took 3 hand tools. I'm glad to read through your stories here. Those Genesis' I've had my eye on for years as well. Though with recent gas prices I've been looking at some BMW 535D's and Lexus 450H's. To replace the Camry of course.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”