What struts for 04 track model?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
scottstrickland
Car: 2004 350z Track

So I have a 2004 350z Track model, and while replacing the brakes the other day I noticed that the inside rings of my tires are significantly worn= time to replace the struts and coil springs. As far as I know the car still has the original so this makes sense.
Now I know that the struts (and maybe springs too?) on the Track and Nismo versions are different than other versions of the Z, and due to the mileage and tire wear I'm sure that my coil springs are shot too. I'd like to buy a complete strut assembly (with a new coil spring already installed) that will fit the Track model Z. Any Track model owners out there been able to find complete strut assemblies for the Track Z? Will any from the coupe Infiniti G's work, maybe a strut assembly for the coupe with the "sport" suspension?
Z1 offers OEM strut replacments specifically for the Track and Nismo models, and this is the closest thing to what I need except it doesn't come with coil springs installed.

Thanks for any help

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Maybe if you just want the whole assembly, you could just look at coilovers. Better performance and will come with the springs installed like you want. You can dial down the dampening so that it provides a more comfortable ride, similar to factory. And you get adjustable ride height.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Slight semantics issue, the Z33 chassis uses "shocks", not "struts". The rear of the car has the springs located independent of the shock so you'll get no assembled unit for the rear unless you go to an aftermarket coil over, even then many of the aftermarket kits keep the spring in the stock location. This is helpful for those who participate in motorsports as many sanctioning bodies have classes that restrict relocating the spring. Me I'm a motorsport guy, I have koni adjustables, on stock springs, which is the limit of what I can do in SCCA "Street class". I believe the 04 track had slightly stiffer springs than the rest fo the range so might be worth keeping those stock springs unless you are planning to lower the car. The stock Coil springs should last indefinitely,my first Z, a Z31, the rear springs did loose a bit with age. but those were a very low spring rate and the semi trailing arm suspension cause a lot of travel and expedited the wear and they were 25 years old at that point.

Your tire wear issue might simply be due to poor alignment, only the toe is adjustable int he front and the rear has a small amount of camber adjustment, unless you go to aftermarket arms. Lowering the car will increase the static camber and increase tire wear.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

evildky wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm
Slight semantics issue, the Z33 chassis uses "shocks", not "struts". The rear of the car has the springs located independent of the shock
Huh, did not know that. TIL. I guess I kinda assumed almost every modern Z was coil on strut.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Z33 like the Z32 uses coil on shock up front but rear places the spring inboard like the z31, but without the trailing arm and terrible geometry. They saved the terrible geometry for the front of the Z33. 14 control arms on a Z33, fourteen!

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”