what struts can handle it??

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
91nis240

ok people ive got ground control coil overs on my s13 w/a pretty hefty frop of about 2 1/5 - 3inches all around. My stock struts blew with ina week, went out and bought some kyb gr-2 struts(non adjustable, pretty much factory struts) and they blew in about a month, so now what strut will last! any lowered struts for my 91 240?? and no please dont be smart and just tell me to raise the car, b/c i love the look and handling (when the struts were good)

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

handling... hmm you mean gross understeer followed by oversteer cause the car's geometries are too low and your bumpsteer is all outta wack. I would suggest coilovers... however the AGXs should last for more than a month on the softer settings.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

:withstup

-chet

91nis240

How am i screwing up my car??

Nismo_Freak

Your making it too low... there is a point where normal struts just cant make the car handle cause they require this magical thing called stroke to be effective. Im also sure you have about 3-5 degrees of negative camber and about 2 degrees of toe-in in the rear. The front may be corrected however it still should have a good 2 degrees of camber (which is good). Having toe-in on the rear makes the car have worse turn-in and overall handling... plus having the gross amount of rear camber makes you lose a good inch of rubber that would be keeping your rear end from sliding around. Also the fact that you dont have the proper spring rates and dampening for being that low you are most likely sliding around alot. If you arent... you arent pushing the car. The 240 likes to have a minor rake and to have about .5" of wheel gap height on 45 sidewall tires. I've found that anything below that (even with better spring rates) the car will push at the beginning and swing the rear end out after it turns.

Auto-X 240
Car: SCCA autocross

Quote »and no please dont be smart and just tell me to raise the car, b/c i love the look and handling (when the struts were good)[/quote] Ok then get short stroke struts. Many ways to go about this. You could look for some JDM short strokes (Tokiko may make some for the 240, I know they do for the AE86 but they are JDM only) or call up Koni North America and try to find something that will cross into a 240 but is a shorter stroke. We did that with a guy's AE86 to get the later design konis that don't have to be removed to be adjusted.

Hope this helps

p.s. You didn't say what your spring rate is

91nis240

my srping rate is 350lbs in front and 250 lb in the rear,

Nismo_Freak

Teins have a 336 front and a 280 rear for the HAs.... I bet you have a little push unless you've removed the dampening a bit in the front.

91nis240

what do you mean by "a little push"

Exar-Kun

understeer. your rear end is "pushing" your front end around.

R240NA

We've already been over this whole topic with your car before. There are no good dampers you can buy that will hold up your grossly exaggerated lowering, no matter how much money you spend. Your 'handling' has also got to be somewhere in the range of a U-Haul truck, with large amounts of snap oversteer at the limit. I'd recommend you quit asking questions concerning this if you're only looking for the answer you want to hear, we won't provide it for you. RAISE your car. That is the answer.

Exar-Kun

:withstup

AznRide
Car: Cars, hondas, import cars, girls, cars, girls, girls, and more beautiful girls.

Dropping your car under 2" is stupid.

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

Do you guys think that some gr-2s could handle the tein s-type springs? I read that they drop around 2" and im afraid that if they are a little over 2", it might blow out the oem shocks and maybe the gr-2s. I like the look of an slammed car, but everyone is right and it totally ruins the handling of the 240sx. Thanks for any replies i get.

Exar-Kun

Tein makes good quality stuff, an I havent heard of any struts blowing out with TEIN springs on them, the KYB-GR-2 I believe is only 10% stiffer than stock(anyone know this for sure?) and should hold up fine as a daily driver improvement.

you might want to look into koni yellows, or possibly a bilstein HD shock, they are stiffer and bilsteins can be revalved if you need them to be. I would sreiously reccoment gettting an allignment correction setup, just in case, before you install the springs. you wouldnt believe how much simple allignment settings can affect your cars handling.

-chet

raging panda

ive heard of the konis blowing out, but that might just be a rumor. Wouldnt getting shocks revalved cost quite a bit of money? thats why i was looking at the gr-2s, they dont blow 2 of my paychecks at once. If it really comes down to it, i think that i would go the route of the agx shocks. Would that be a big improvement over the shocks Exar named? Theyre adjustable and everything and they only cost 150$ or so more. Is it worth the money, because ive heard over and over how much people like the adjustability. Thanks for the reply Exar.

Exar-Kun

yeah, I would save the extra 150, adjustability is a nice thing to have, even if you rarely use it. being able to pick how you want it is worth the money, and will pay dividends later if you race your car.revalving a shock can get expensive, but its nice to be able to do if you race, and I mean RACE. like, autocross or road race professionally/for money/all the time. otherwise, its not worth it.

-chet

raging panda

I am actually thinking of auto-xing later on possibly so maybe I will spend the extra 150 or so. We will see but if the gr-2s will be okay, maybe they will have to do for now. Thanks again Exar.

tad_240
Car: working on and customizing cars and stereos

i have done a search to find the best struts and springs for my 90 240sx, and this seems to be the most educated one that popped up, so here goes, and sorry if anyone thinks this is too simple a question. I love driving my 240, but i have a stock suspension, and have been saving to replace it. but before i go and buy all the stuff( springs, struts, etc.), i wanted to make sure i got the best for my dollar, now i don't have alot of money, but the car is worth it. My camber is already bad for some reason, but i want to go 1 1/2 - 2 inches lower, and be able to zip around tight corners in town and accerate nicely out of the turn without waering away all my tread. if neccesary, what potions would i have on the camber thing, i know some struts have a slotted top bolt hole on the strut that allows for some adjusting in the front. I don't know much about over steer and understeer, so any kits that would just make the car handle like a dream would be great. I only have minor mods done, and i want the suspension to help put what power I have to the ground. any answers would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to the forums, but have already learned a great deal from doing searches and giving advice where i can. thanks

:smoker

Exar-Kun

well, I always reccomend coilovers. a cost-effective setup for most people, true coilover, is apex-i world sport setup, it allows ride height adjustment, and has a nice ride quality setting, but will tighten everything up nicely.

otherwise, a set of tein S_tech springs, and some koni yellow, or suitable shock(AGX, bilstein HD) with a setup that qallows for caber corrections(allignment bolt in the front and a set of larger eccentric cushings in the rear.) will work wonders for you.

see the MFR pages and FAQ for links and things, if you want some specific parts let me know, I'm working on compiling the "where to get X" stuff for the FAQ in between all my school/workout/work/car/girlfriend stuff.-chet

Jean
Car: Wing chun

How much do stech springs cost?

tad_240

i have been doing some looking for some suspension components and have found the following for my car, and at these prices:

KYB AGX adjustablesset of four for $360 shipped

Dropzone coilovers for $160 shipped

Are these good prices, and are the coilovers from Dropzone that good? Also, where can i find the set of larger eccentric cushings that you were talking about Exar? I will try to find them on the internet, but do you know a good place to look? Thanks for the advice. Oh yeah, are anti-sway bars worth the money, and should I add them for the purpose I would want them for, and that would be for pleasure, with the fun of beating the local ricers in some twisties, ha ha. any help or advice would be great. thanks

tad_240

oh and jean, if you mean ST springs (Spring tech ), then there are some on ebay right now for like $135 shipped, they are a 2" drop, and are blue. I am not sure of the quality of these springs though, so somebody else would have to tell you that. anyways, just trying to answer your question, see ya

tad_240

sorry jean, if you are talkin about tein stech springs, then exar-kun has a page set up for the link to tein, and the stach springs on there are $200 for a S13, and $230 for a S14. the set for a S13 gives you a 1.5 inch drop in the front and a 1.2 drop in the rear. for the S14 however, you get a 1.3 inch drop in the front and a .9 inch frop in the rear. sorry if i misunderstood your question earlier, see ya

raging panda

the S-tech are only $150 on enjuku, so theyre a good deal if you ask me. Where did u find the agx for 360? I'm still not sure weather to get the agx or the gr-2. But for sure im gonna get the s-tech.

tad_240

hey raging panda, just go to ebay and do a search for 240sx agx, that is all i did and they came up. good luck on the search, and i would rather get the gr-2 if i knew they would hold up to a 1/12- 2" drop and ride good. I am getting the s-tach springs too, so thanks for the link, if any one knows whether they think they would let me know, thanks

Jean

COol, There is a few places offering the agx for 360 shipped. I'm in on the tein springs too.\

Jean

Oo. Groupbuycenter.com has agx for 370 w/ free shipping!

myRed240
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX with a KA-T!
'07 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
'11 G37S Sedan

are you sure it's free shipping?

tad_240

I like the agx's alot better, but money is tight, but at that price, who would pass them up, not me. I am still savin to get the teins though, anybody out there know how good of a ride you get on the combo, with agx's and tein s-tech's? just wonderin, thanks

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”