What's Your Mileage

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

I would like to know what you all are getting for fuel mileage if you have had the car long enough to find out? I am interested in the CVT especially but wouldn't mind hearing any version. I was going with the 6 speed but didn't like the way it hangs at higher rpm between shifts. Hope I am not going wrong by going with the CVT.

rwanttaja

electech wrote:I would like to know what you all are getting for fuel mileage if you have had the car long enough to find out? I am interested in the CVT especially but wouldn't mind hearing any version. I was going with the 6 speed but didn't like the way it hangs at higher rpm between shifts. Hope I am not going wrong by going with the CVT.
I've gotten a bit over 25 MPG on the first couple of tanks, commuting ~9 miles each way with stop-and-go traffic and the air conditioner running. My wife has the car out for the weekend, and says she got a bit over 30 on the freeway (also with the AC).

Car has the CVT and about 700 miles.

Ron Wanttaja

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

I've driven my 1.8SL 6-speed for 4 tanks now. This is mixed highway/city driving, and commute using the carpool lane (which still sometimes really sucks).

3 tanks have been at 30 MPG, when I shift at 3000 RPM.1 tank has been at 26 MPG, shifting at 4000 RPM.

I have not taken any long trips yet, but because it is consistently getting the rated City mileage, I would estimate it will probably get around 32-33 on the highway.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Goodness, I sure hope that it will do better than 25!! I drive between 32 to 35 miles each way to work. About 25 or so miles of that is freeway at 65 mph speeds, the rest is at 45 with some stop lights. I am buying this for the mileage and to keep miles off my Explorer which is my tow vehicle for my boat and camper. I was hoping to get over 30 all the time. Somewhere on here I saw a post mention 41+ mpg. Anyone else get that high.

skoobahead
Car: Powder 1.8SL CVT

I have the CVT TransmissionNot too impressed with my mileage so far. My driving has been mixed with most of it city with the AC on. I have filled up two tanks and am averaging only 25MPG. That's quite aways off of Nissans claim of 30/38! Anybody else getting these numbers? 750 miles on the car. I sure hope it improves

John

Ever Victorious

Actually, your commute sounds exactly like my monday/friday commute when the roads are more open. I'd expect about 30mpg for you,

toby

I'm still on the tank of gas the dealer gave me with the car, and it's at the halfway mark, with 207 miles on the odometer. Not bad at all, if you ask me. By the way, about 85% of that is highway mileage. Hope that helps, and sorry, but I haven't broken down the miles per gallon just yet...

skoobahead
Car: Powder 1.8SL CVT

Fuel gauges can move at *ANY* time. Not a reliable indication of fuel economy. Fill it to the top, drive it, fill it to the top and do the math or....check out this new device:

http://www.scangauge.com/

Spanke
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD, 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2004 Titan SE Off Road

30 mpg on the first tank with only 214 miles, brand new just bought on Saturday. This is with the CVT trans. and a/c running. Mileage should improve as we get more miles on it.

electech

Sounds like we have identical purchase dates!! We got ours after a lot of searching late Saturday, around 7 pm!!! I am trying to follow the break in procedure so I will reserve mpg judgement for now. So far, we love it.

toby

What, pray tell, is "the break-in procedure"? I was told by the dealer that no special way of driving new cars for the first however many miles applies anymore, and I'm assuming that's what you're referring to. Anyway, thanks for the post about the Scan gauge II. I've sent an email for more info, as that would be a cool gadget to add to my planned modifications. Who knows, maybe it'll even enable me to reset the TPMS, which is now brightly illuminated every time I turn the car on, and this after just getting the car Saturday afternoon! I'm kind of pissed that I've already got an issue, but at least the car still works otherwise, so I won't complain too much just yet...

Ever Victorious

Could be worse, toby. The issue my car developed after 24 hours was severe clutch slippage... thankfully it was just a switch attached to the cruise system that needed adjustment.

versabbo
Car: Versa SL CVT

when the low fuel light turn on that mean there is still about 2 galon left on my versa. I divide the total mile which is 320m / 11gal = 29mpg.

SL CVT, mixed driving of 60/40 highway city. some traffic.

my experience is that it will do better mpg in city than on highway, especially high cruising speed of 70 and up.

the gas pedal is really soft so i try stepin lightly and maintain steady rpm.

toby

I have CVT trans, which the dealer said (for what that's worth) is the best trans available on the Versa, no doubt because he was interested in making the sale after spending three and a half hours negotiating with me. Anyway, I do mostly highway driving, 70 miles each way. As I've said, I've driven over 205 miles on a full tank, and just reached the halfway mark. If this holds, I'll be at just over 37mpg. We'll see if it holds. By the way, that's with the AC on all the time, and cruise control on about half the time. I just don't see how folks are getting 25mpg and whatnot... Hopefully I'll still have that problem when I finally have to fuel up. Again, we'll see...

rwanttaja

toby wrote:I have CVT trans, which the dealer said (for what that's worth) is the best trans available on the Versa, no doubt because he was interested in making the sale after spending three and a half hours negotiating with me. Anyway, I do mostly highway driving, 70 miles each way. As I've said, I've driven over 205 miles on a full tank, and just reached the halfway mark. If this holds, I'll be at just over 37mpg. We'll see if it holds. By the way, that's with the AC on all the time, and cruise control on about half the time. I just don't see how folks are getting 25mpg and whatnot...
The fact that you're ABLE to use your cruise control should hint at the reason. I rarely can use the cruise on my commute due to traffic congestion and the number of red lights. Stop-and-go traffic has a tremendous impact on mileage. Plus the fact that my commute is nine miles...the engine barely has enough time to warm up.

Still and all, that's exactly the scenario that the "City" MPG test is supposed to simulate. What bothers me is that the Versa is getting just 5 MPG more than my previous car, which was 1,000 pounds heavier with 80 more horsepower.

And it didn't have a TPMS light blinking at me all the time. :-)

Ron

electech

Toby,

The Nissan manual actually has a break in procedure. Usual stuff about varying rpm and not running long periods at the same rpm but it goes farther by saying to not go over 4000 rpm for the first 1200 miles. Engine longevity is greatly affected according to the manual. Now, with that said, I have always owned other brands, mainly Ford, and always drove them like I stole them!!!

indus49
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S, Magnetic Gray with Beige/Black Interior, Power Package.

I just did my second fill up, and this time around I got a little over 28 mpg. This is pretty much split 50/50 with city/highway driving, so I hope the mileage will improve as well. Half of that time has also been with the a/c, and no real warm up (which I may change, because a cold engine guzzles more gas, I believe.)

karmandrew

ok we have had 3 fill ups. Nice to be paying under $30 to fill up when light comes on. Anyway. Mainly city driving (guessing 30 highway, 70 city), air con on almost constantly.

1st 28 mpg2nd 27 mpg3rd 27.5 mpg

We are now at just over 1000 miles on the clock and with over half a tank left we are looking at quite possibly our first 30+ mpg.

It is either to do with changing the way I drive my CVT (after reading one of the threads on here), or a to do with the break in? I am a little more encouraged.

toby

Someone said in one post about mileage not to pay attention to what the gauge says, stating that it can change at any time and dramatically so. Well, whoever that was is right. I'm a bit over 300 miles now, and at about a quarter tank... though today's traffic didn't allow me to use cruise at all, and I was running late, so I was driving at times at over 80mph. Still, Nissan says you can get over 400 miles on a tank of gas, and I don't doubt it looking at how I've done so far. That equates to about 36mpg, which is damned good in my opinion. I'm hoping to be able to report tomorrow that I achieved that, as I'll definitely have to fill up tomorrow, what with a total of 140 miles driven per day for my commute. I'll let you know...

Ever Victorious

My gas gauge moves at the same rate as yours... 200 miles is right at the 1/2 line, 300 miles is right at the 1/4 line...

If you run on the highway the whole time, yes you should get over 400 miles on a tank. 13 gallons @ 30 mpg (city) is 390 miles. Even at the 34 mpg for a manual on the open highway, that puts the range at 442 miles.

Return to “Versa General Chat”