What's the deal on this sexy HKS Rotrex Supercharger

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

"Introducing the long-awaited HKS Rotrex Supercharger kit for the Nissan 350Z! This direct bolt-on kit produces an 80+ Horsepower gain over stock (measured at the rear wheels), with boost set to 0.48bar (~7PSI). The supercharger is a centrifugal type that features a unique traction drive, and a closed oil circulation system. The traction drive utilizes fixed ratio planetary rollers that are more efficient then traditional gear-wheels. Because the planetary rollers do not have teeth like traditional gear-wheels, noise is decreased and reliability increased. The closed oil circulation system cycles a specially-formulated Traction Oil that lubricates and cools the supercharger, dramatically increasing longevity and reliability. The Traction Oil is cooled through an air to fluid oil cooler.

The HKS Rotrex Supercharger kit for the Nissan 350Z includes all the necessary components for a complete installation:

* HKS Rotrex Centrifugal Supercharger Unit * Front Mount Intercooler * S/C Controller (Engine Management w/direct plug harness) * Traction Oil Cooler * Tuned Cast-Aluminum Mounting Bracket (Specifically engineered to reduce noise & vibration) * 525cc Injectors X 2 * Bolt in Fuel Pump Assembly * Super Mega Flow Intake * Bypass Valve * CARB Pending"

Ok this kit is sexy. All this rhetoric hype about it sounds neet, but does anyone have any experience or know anyone with it, or heard anything about it?

I'm getting the itch

Heath
Car: 1992 Q45, 2000 Excursion (towrig), 2003 Yukon Denali (Wife's Ride)

DAMN... Hey, aren't you coming into some money here soon???

350zQ45a

Impressions from other owners on other forums:

"Well, finally got it done last weekend and I had to make a post as I was so impressed with this kit All the components are spot on and built with OEM quality, finish and look. I have done tons of mods to vehicles over the years and never have I worked with such high quality components and never have I finished an install turned the key and the unit ran perfect from the start with zero tweaking ! Now to the performance, the motor runs better than it did as an NA, idle is smooth with no oscillation like stock, gas mileage on the highway is great but when you have your foot in it of course it burns fuel. Power is very linear and is really strong in the mid band and the car feels fantastic, I put on Nismo rims with Toyo T1S tires and they are getting the power to the ground nicely. I am right there with my buddies 04 Z06 now and I just waxed my other buddy in his new Audi S4 (340HP V8). Sound is great, combined with my Stillen exhaust the sound is intoxicating like a race car. I was amazed how much better the exhaust sounds now with the SC. I give it a 10 out of 10, I can't stop driving the car"

"Hope im not HiJacking a thread but here is a dyno sheet and vid of the car on the track and on the dyno. I agree the HKS supercharger is awesome. Have not had any trouble, HKS very supportive, could not be more pleased. Im not the best driver on the track, traction is a problem, I trap between 110-111 in the 1/4, best time so far is 13.015, my 60ft times are terrible, 2.1-2.2. Its a 12 sec car just got to learn how to drive it there. I have only been down the track about 6 times. Hope i did not intrude. Here is the link.

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.asp...W0NCM"

"Yes the kit is CARB approved, I have cams and it did not affect the tuning in anyway. HKS SAID.........no MODS from the cats FORWARD...NO high flow cats.......NO HEADERS. My dyno numbers were 369.9 RWHP ........that is cooling the intercooler with nitrous before the dyno run. STOCK PLENUM has to stay. NOT one light or problem with the kit runs great very torquey....lots of low end power. If you want a mid to high 12 sec car HKS Is the way to go. The kit is awesome......no tapping oilpan.......i can run it down the track a couple of times and lay my hand on the S/C it just gets warm the intercooler and the S/C having its own oilcooler and oiling sytem keeps it very cool. I would not trade it for any other form of FI but my goal was not loads of HP but more SAFE HP. If you wanna see the dyno vid or track runs let me know i can send you a link."

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Must...resist... HKS-boosted G35 coupe....

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Keep in mind Ryan those great RWHP's were achieved with additional Mods usually the HKS puts out much lower numbers than Vortec or ATI.

I also like the HKS kit.Out of the Box a very safe kit albeit with not much room for growth and it look good. and near OEM.

A step up from Procharger in OEMish appearance (which in itself is a step up from Vortech in OEM'is appearance)

If you want a good looking kit dont plan on upgrading power later and want to have a minimum of tuning worries this is it.

But keep in mind most after a few months want more power, and this kit is harder to up-tune and also has a small intercooler.

Vortec kits a lot cheaper and just as complete ( but not as high quality appearing and also totyally maxed out in compressor speed when the 350Z hits its stock redline.

THe Procharger has a <lot> of resevre compressor speed and it a good candidate for "up-pulleying" later for this reason the compressor simpy is beter than Vortec.

The Rotrax is a very nice kit, by all means get it if an extra 80/90 hp is what you want and dont plan on upgrading.

Also keep in mind there is MSRP and streetprices.

All FI kits for 350Z have been suffering some price drop below MSRP as owners are often scared away from FI mostly due to hrro stories of Greddy TT's blwong engine or ATIProCharger run w/o a timing solution (which doenst come with kit) blowing engines.

Fred..

PS: It would be cool if you got an HKS I think, but I htink knowing you, I'd recommend a more upgradable kit like the ATI ( centrifugals are safest FI IMO, as no overboost possible and ATI puts <no> load on oiling system, as it has its own, or maybe try one of those Turbonetics or APS Single Turbos, good kits but not many sold+installed yet at all..)

350zQ45a

heh you know me well.

The thing is I drive my Z 3-5k miles a month, sometimes more. I am looking for something essentially bulletproof, and with a lack of tuning. I need this car to last a long time, and am reallly hesitant to do any FI at all

I think this kit rocks. For people looking for max power for least amont of money, I don't think this kit is really for them.

This kit seems to be designed so you don't have to do jack to it, no tuning, no additional mods or anything.

To be at 370-380 hp would make the car a blast to drive.

I'd like to see what the cheapest is, so far online I've seen 5,600 or so for the lowest.

I'm way paranoid on the VQ, so this seems good. I like the eaton stillen solution, but it is ruined by needing a new hood. What a load of BS.

I like the JDM quality, it comes at a price though.

If I get an FI kit it will be this one.,

350zQ45a

I really want to see your dyno #s and 1/4 times :P

SHIEF

The FI game for the 350z is really a toss-up at this point. I think I'd be leaning toward the APS single turbo kit, or the dual port NX nitrous kit right now (100 shot). I thought that supercharging was the way to go on the VQ, but now I'm having my doubts. Not saying they can't make power, but I don't think that would be my route when I get my 350z. Just my .02

350zQ45a

Yea, I think it boils down to what your goals are.

I drive the Z 3,000-5,000 miles a month, I'm looking for a reliable power solution.

I think for all out power a built motor with a turbo kit would be the way to go

Personally I don't want to waste my money on that with the GTR coming out soon

SHIEF

For reliable power, I think I'll be going with the NX kit. So I can just drive the car when I want w/o boost, and when I need to race then just hit the button. I mostly mess around on the street and go to the 1/4 quite a bit. It's been known that the VQ can handle the NX 100 shot no prob. Being I'm not a 'baller' I can't see dishing $5300 for the APS single turbo kit or the like for a SC kit, when I can get the same power for $800. Not to mention that the temperature won't change how the FI reacts, as it does on a turbo or SC. Being that the APS ST kit hasn't proven itself yet (it's only on 1 or 2 cars right now). Am I excluding the APS ST kit? No, but for now I think the NX kit is the way to go.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”