What's it worth?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Hi All

The time has come for me to sell my 240SX. It's been a great ride and incredibly fun to restore but retirement is a few years away and I'm building an oceanfront house on acreage at the end of a dirt road. Retirement will be more about tractors and old Cadillacs than Nissan drift cars.

So I'm faced with a "What's it worth" scenario. I'm under no illusion that I'll get anything that would balance out the countless hours I put into it but I'd like to get as much as I can, oceanfront houses aren't cheap and the funds will go to helping build the retirement house.

Here are the details:

1990 240SX Coupe, which I understand is a lot rarer than the fastbacks. Original paint.

I also bought an 89 fastback that had been in a collision as a parts car when I started the restoration so I have 2 of a lot of the parts.

Original 2.4 litre engine with single cam but rebuilt with the head ported and polished. All accessories rebuilt as well (Alternator, starter, distributor, AC compressor, PS pump, oil pump.) I also have spare, rebuilt, alternator, starter, oil pump and distributor from the fastback.

I built a rotisserie and put the car on it and stripped it down to just the body, I then sandblasted the entire under body and engine bay and painted with POR15 rust paint.

While I had it on the rotisserie I cut out the weak frame rails from the engine bay to the rear sub-frame and welded in 1/8" thick steel tubing cut to fit with a plasma cutter. The frame is now so stiff that I can put a floor jack on one side of the car and both front wheels come up off the ground together.

Every suspension piece was sandblasted and painted with POR15 and all rubber bushings were replaced with Energy Suspension Poly. I upgraded the front link bars and tie rods. It has BC Racing coilovers on all four corners.

For the drivetrain I replaced the two piece driveshaft with a one piece aluminum unit from Shaftmasters. I replaced the heavy steel flywheel with an aluminum Fidenza with a replaceable carbon fibre insert. I used a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch pack and I threw in a B&M short shifter. I rebuilt the rear halfshafts but didn't touch the LSD diff.

All of the interior came out and everything inside got painted and then reassembled.

It looks stock but goes like a bat out of hell. I currently have Nokian Sport tires on it for grip.

Spare Parts:
Engine Block with crank and cradle and pistons/rods (no head)
5 speed transmission and limited slip differential (no drive shaft)
Rear drive half shafts (need rebuild)
Steering column with wheel.
2 doors – Red with glass, (locks and hardware separate.)
Nissan Factory Service Manual
Set of electronic modules
Brake caliper and master cylinder castings with rebuild kits, possible rotors.
We can comb through my garage and the buyer can have everything 240SX related.
I'll even throw in any of the Nissan specific tools I've bought.

Now - are you still with me? Do you think $12500 is a fair price for the whole lot?

Do you think I may be able to get more if I were to part the car out, sell all the upgrades and removable parts and then just crush the shell?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Prices can be all over the place honestly. There's no shame in shooting high and seeing what you get.
Do you have any pictures of them?

JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

SOLD!

$9250Cdn without the spare parts.

So now I have a garage full of spare parts.

I'll post up an add in the classified section but here's a teaser...

Big Stuff:

5 speed transmission - $100?
Block with pistons, crank and girdle - $50?
Drive shafts with CV joints - $50?
Steering colum with wheel - $25?
Two door shells (red) - $25 each?
Door Glass $10 each?

Small Stuff:

Door hardware, locks and handles
Front and back brake rotors and rear calipers and pads
Rebuilt oil pump plus two new OEM pump gears.
Rebuilt Distributor
Mirrors and marker lights
All electronic modules including ECM
Electrical connectors and spare bolt kits.
Trim pieces, interior plastic, dash parts
Various engine compartment parts.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Congrats! Where's this all located?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”