What's causing this awful noise (vid inside)

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
rob321
Car: 1995 200SX SR20DET

Hi.

Noise is there when pulling away ie engaging the clutch. In the video the rear wheels are off the ground and I'm just letting the clutch out in 1st. Car drives fine and once moving is quiet. Some info:

New comp 6 puk clutch and flywheel. ARP flywheel bolts torqued down as per instructions.

Hardrace Street gbox and engine mounts

Exhaust isn't hitting anything as far as I can tell

Standard diff that didn't make any noise before the car was rebuilt. Poly subframe bushes.

350z box but it made the noise with the std gearbox too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it's driving me mad!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

It sounds like hard chatter to me. Doesn't sound like an issue with bearings at all. With it being new components, I think something is up with the installation. Something is just a bit off. I'm not knocking your work. The only solution I can come up with with be to drop the tranny again, take apart the clutch and even remove that flywheel, then install it all over again. Stuff to check: You had the flywheel resurfaced and balanced, correct? You used the alignment pin for the flywheel and the alignment dowels for the pressure plate fit properly? Pilot bushing is new and in there snug? Everything was tightened is stages and then finalized with a torque wrench? You didn't forget the sandwich plate thing? Those tranny to engine bellhouse flange things on the bottom are tight at both ends? Throw out bearing shaft is well lubricated and bearing is seated all the way? Clutch fork, spring retainer and pivot all line up? ARP bolts matched your OEM bolts?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Can that disc design be installed with the disc backwards? Some few can but most can't.

Dbarry
Car: Nissan 240SX

It is kinda annoying indeed. As suggested it might be better to drop and check the tranny again to make sure everything is tight.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

If you have an aluminum transmission case [which most transmissions today have] any imbalance in the drive train, like the drive shaft, will cause wear in the transmission shaft outlet hole which does not have a collar or bearing between the shaft and the transmission case. Given enough time, this will cause drive shaft wobble. Cure ? get another case and sell the car or get an experienced tech to bore out and install a shim, self lubricating like sintered
bronze.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Most RWD driveshafts will make noise all over the place if the tailshaft housing is worn, not just at the shifts. The faster car drives the worse the noise.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”