I bought my 2002 Maxima new and now have 188,000 miles on it. I only drive a few times a week and I'd love to drive it until 250,000 miles or longer! It looks great. I've had it serviced religiously up til about 2017. No major repairs, just power steering pump, radiator, alternator, and valve covers. Now I'm ready and able to get it checked out and update all needed maintenance. Online advice is mixed, some recommend routine maintenance based on mileage, some don't ever flush fluids, etc. until "needed".
I'm 70 year old woman with no car repair skills but research extensively, and on a limited income. I have questions about need for the following and sure would appreciate your input.
1. Double platinum spark plugs replaced at 117,000 - 70,000 miles ago. It's starting a little rough, then smooths out. I have visible exhaust when revving. Is it obvious when I need to replace them, or should I just go ahead and do it? Should PCV valve, ignition coils, oxygen sensors be replaced at same time? Oxygen sensors were replaced 35,000 miles ago.
2. Timing chain replaced around 100,000 miles, dealer recommended. Should I go ahead and replace it, or wait until I have a problem?
3. Fuel filter replaced 35,000 miles ago. Go ahead and replace it?
4. Brake fluid, transmission and power steering fluids all look good and flushed 40,000 miles ago, flush all of them?
5. Cooling system flushed 27,000 miles ago - go ahead and flush?
6. Valve cover gaskets last replaced about 20,000 miles ago. No visible oil leak but it does use some oil. Rear value cover replaced twice by dealer. 35,000 miles ago they told me it needed replaced again but new mechanic never saw a problem. Front replaced twice, last time 20,000 miles ago. Will it be obvious if I need rear valve cover replaced?
I'll replace air filter and in-cabin micro-filter myself. I'm asking that everything be checked - suspension, belts, brakes, etc. Am I missing anythng? Thanks in advance for your help!