What're your computer specs and what do you use it for

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Format will be
PC:
Case
Motherboard
CPU
CPU Cooler
Memory
Storage
GPU (Optional)
Power supply
"Others" (Sound card, network card etc.)

Peripherals (all optional):
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor
Headset
Etc.

What you use the PC for.
Last edited by wa-chiss on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

NZXT Source 530
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
Intel 6700K not overclocked yet
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) clocked st 2133Mhz
Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD for OS and games I currently play
Seagate 1TB HDD for all other storage needs
Gigabyte GeForce GTX1070 8GB G1 Gaming (planning SLI in the near future)
EVGA 750 bronze
Cooler Matser Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler (Barely fits my case)

Razer Black Widow
Razer Death Adder
Turtle Beach Earforce Stealth 450
Vizio 32" 1080 HDTV that I already had as my monitor (Saving up for an actual monitor)
and One of my XBOX One controllers for flying.

I use the computer mainly for gaming (As you probably noticed). It does the regular low load PC tasks often as well. Streaming and browsing, NICO posting, stuff like that. I mainly play Battlefield 1, Subnautica, and Titanfall 2 right now.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Main Rig:

Case: Thermaltake Core V31
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC Mate (cheaped out a bit here and regret it a bit)
CPU: i7 6700k bouncing between stock clock and mild OC to 4.5 (haven't really needed more than that)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H55
Memory: 2x8GB generic DDR4 (cheaped out here and don't regret it a bit)
Storage: 1x Sandisk 120GB ssd (forget the model; it was cheap), 1x Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, 1x Seagate 2TB 7200RPM, 1x WD 3TB 7200RPM, 6TB RAID5 network share on 15KRPM spinners over GbE.
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 (in need of an upgrade, but not holding up terribly)
PSU: Random 80+ Bronze 850W, don't remember the brand (it was cheap and hasn't died yet)
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy FX (since my cheapo mobo doesn't have onboard 7.1)
Removable media: Optical (DVD/CD) read/writer, USB 3.5 floppy.

Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate with MX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G900
Monitor: 3x 24'' 1920x1080
Headset: Don't use one
Speakers: Logitech Z506 7.1
Gamepad: Xbox One (non-S) controller with the world's most unreliable and oversized wireless dongle, Steam Controller, Xbox 360 controller

What you use the PC for: Gaming

====================================================
Secondary rig:

Case: Some freaking monolith-looking off-the-shelf Asus case. I kind of like it.
Mobo: Asus Rampage Gene II
CPU: i7 920 with stock cooler and mild OC
Memory: 2x 4GB and 1x 512GB DDR3 (forget the brand and don't feel like cracking it open. I think it's Crucial?) for an odd total of 9GB
Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 1x Seagate 1TB 7200, same 6TB 15K network share
GPU: Radeon R7 270
PSU: No freaking idea. Some 650 watt thing?
Removable media: Optical read/writer, 3.5'' bay card reader
Other: Add-in PCIe USB3.0 card (this thing is way older than the USB 3.0 spec)

Keyboard: Logi K120
Mouse: Logitech G602 (not my favorite mouse ever, but it's wireless with a decent polling rate)
Monitor: crappy LG Flatron W2046 (19'' 1920x1080)
Headset: don't use
Speakers: Logitech Z4 2.1
Gamepad: Xbox 360 controller

What you use it for: Basement lan parties

==============================================================
Portable rig: Microsoft Surface Pro 4
CPU: i7 6650u
Memory: 16GB LPDDR3
Storage: 256 GB NVMe, 128GB UHS1 MicroSD

Keyboard: Type Cover or Filco Majestouch MiniLa Air
Mouse: Type Cover, Logitech MX Anywhere 2, or Steam Controller
Headset: Sony MBR1000X where needed
Gamepad: Xbox One Controller S (with bluetooth), Steam Controller, 8BitDo NES30 Pro
Other: Touchscreen

What I use it for: Everything. Gaming, productivity, media, work...everything. I take it with me everywhere. Fantastic mini-powerhouse.

========================================================
Around-the-house-and-garage-rig: Lenovo Thinkpad W520
CPU: i7 2760QM (4 cores, 8 threads @ 2.4GHz)
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Storage: 160GB SSD (can't remember what brand or model)
GPU: Nvidia Quadro 1000M 2GB
Other: Oversized 8700mAh battery

What I use it for: Media, googling crap with greasy hands in the garage, googling crap with greasy hands in the kitchen,

==============================================================
Bedroom rig: Dell Optiplex 780
CPU: Core 2 Duo
GPU: um...some ancient ATI thing that lets me output 1080p over Displayport without the computer exploding. Has 512MB VRAM. Yeah.
Memory: 4GB DDR3 made by whoever Dell used as a supplier at the time (probably Samsung)
Storage: 250GB 7200RPM WD
Other: Absolutely effing nothing. Not even an optical drive.

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech K400 Plus
Monitor: Spectacularly horrible and ancient Dynex 32'' 720p LCD that takes 3 minutes to turn on and looks like crap.

What I use it for: Watching movies. Also doubles as a space heater in the winter thanks to the Core 2.

========================================================================
Steamlink Streaming box (work-in-progress)
Case: Dell Poweredge R810
CPU: Xeon E6510 (8 core, non-hyperthreaded) at 1.7GHz
Memory: 48GB ECC DDR3
Storage: Above-mentioned 6TB Network share
GPU: None, currently (and Xeons lack onboard graphics, unlike desktop Intel chips) This box will get the R7 270 once I upgrade my main rig and move the GTX 970 into the i7 920 box.

Peripherals:
Steamlink
Gamepad: Steam Controller, Xbox One Controller, Xbox 360 controller
Monitor: My living room TV (an older Samsung 40'' LED with only two freaking HDMI inputs)

What you use the PC for: Silent living room couch multiplayer gaming. The Dell's upstairs in my server rack; the Steamlink is in the basement TV room. Over gigabit, there's very little to zero perceptible input lag, even on latency-intensive games like Duck Game.

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

Holy mother of computer bytes! That's a pretty extensive list of hardware. My PC was an AMD pre-built unit from IBUYPOWER. It had an FX-6350 CPU and a GTX950 that left me wanting more. I went with the GTX 1070 and found my mother board was bottlenecking my GPU and I didn't really get the full effect it, so I decided to up my game a bit. Went the Intel route with DDR4 and an SSD. The only thing better would be a new 1080Ti. But only marginal which is why I just think I'll go the SLI route with another 1070.

I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk 4kS AC2600 router that I need to set up. That should handle any and all networking I require and then some.

RCA

PC:
  • ._______Case - DIY desk that houses my PC.
    .Motherboard - What ever comes with a Acer Aspire M3800
    ________CPU - Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz
    __CPU Cooler - Stock cooler from the Intel E4600 @ 2.4Ghz.
    _____Memory - 4GB
    _____Storage - 55GB SSD for OS + 1TB data drive
    ._______GPU - AMD Radeon HD 5670
    Power supply - 1000w Rosewill
  • Keyboard - Logitec wired backlit membrane keyboard
    .__Mouse - Logitec tiny claw grip generic wireless mouse
    ..Monitor - Samsung 24" BX2440 LED for PC + ASUS 24" for Kodi box that handles media.
What you use the PC for.
  • General use system, web browsing + MS office stuff.

Gaming - Football Manager, FIFA, recently played through the Fallout series (<3 FO:NV), Simple Planes, Far Cry's, CS:G0, Skyrim, Civilization, and Stellaris.

Can't really get into many games due to my system. Would love to play through the Witcher series, Tomb Raider, new DOOM, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, GTA V, Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, and VR in general.

Virtualization - Very low end VM boxes for learning and messing around in general.
She is not impressive, but she has been clocking cycles for nearly a decade.

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Primary Desktop
Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe (ver. 1 = onboard Marvel SAS controller)
CPU: Intel Core i7-940 @ 2.93GHz (4-core)
CPU Cooler: Whatever was top of the line in 2009
Memory: 24GB 1600MHz (6x4GB, Triple-Channel)
Storage: Samsung 850 120GB SSD
GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 660 (driving dual monitors and 1080p TV)
Power supply: I forget, but something 1.2kW....way overkill
Others: Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gigabit NIC
OS: Gentoo Linux (on SSD), Windows 7 (on a remote HDD via iSCSI)
Primary Directive: Daily driving, p0rn, and gaming (only thing I use Windows for)

HTPC
Case: Some cheap Rosewill case circa 2007
Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2
CPU: Intel Core2Duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz
CPU Cooler: Stock
Memory: 4GB of who knows what, only 3GB supported by Northbridge.....dumbasses.
Storage: Samsung 840 120GB SSD
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS (driving a 720p projector)
Power supply: Something cheap and around 400 watts
Primary Directive: Watching Netflix or my large video collection

The rest are laptops and servers. One 2U server runs a bunch of virtual machines + stores backups of the data hoarder server. The other 2U server serves my large collection of videos, music, and other data via NFS, Samba, and Rsyncd with a bunch of 4TB drives in Btrfs raid10. Another short-depth 1U server is the firewall/router.

RCA

ArmedAviator wrote:Rsyncd with a bunch of 4TB drives in Btrfs raid10
I haven't heard many good things about btrfs, why not zfs?
ArmedAviator wrote:Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gigabit NIC
Interesting. What does the networking setup look like?

Does the storage server have a 10Gb nic?

ArmedAviator

RCA wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:Rsyncd with a bunch of 4TB drives in Btrfs raid10
I haven't heard many good things about btrfs, why not zfs?
Btrfs has done quite well by me, even on an old laptop that regularly loses power (bad battery and a bad power supply cable). Only once did I have an issue with a filesystem, but 100% data was recoverable and it was a harddrive failure at a critical time (re-balancing array). All recovered data passed a checksum against my backups, too.

I started with Btrfs long before ZFS-on-Linux was stable and mainstream. I like the Btrfs features better. Way easier to add/remove devices and of different sizes. I'll probably start testing out Bcachefs once Kent Overstreet declares the multi-device code complete.
RCA wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gigabit NIC
Interesting. What does the networking setup look like?

Does the storage server have a 10Gb nic?
I have a 1U pfSense router with 4x gigabit ethernet. 1 port is for WAN, the other 3 are bonded/port-channeled/LAGG (whatever you want to call it) to a Netgear managed switch (GSM7328Sv2). pfSense handles all the VLAN routing. The switch has 2x built-in 10G SFP+ ports, and 2 module bays on the back, which I populated with 10G SFP+ modules. My storage server and VM host (which is also backup server) are connected via 5 meter Cisco DAC cables which came with the ConnectX-2s. I have a 100m long aqua (OM-3, I believe) fiber optic cable leading to my bedroom for my main desktop, also using a ConnectX-2. I went to add one to my HTPC, but only has a single PCI-E slot.

RCA

Nice setup!
2 questions:
  • 1) Have you ever documented your setup with pictures or what not?
    Places like reddit.com/r/homelab have lots of awesome setups there.
  • 2) Do you work in the tech field?
ArmedAviator wrote:Btrfs has done quite well by me
The reason I mentioned it was because not long ago (3-4 months) the Btrfs developers said that it should not be used.

ArmedAviator

RCA wrote:Nice setup!
2 questions:
  • 1) Have you ever documented your setup with pictures or what not?
    Places like reddit.com/r/homelab have lots of awesome setups there.
  • 2) Do you work in the tech field?
ArmedAviator wrote:Btrfs has done quite well by me
The reason I mentioned it was because not long ago (3-4 months) the Btrfs developers said that it should not be used.
1) No I haven't. Just one picture in another thread. I peruse /r/homelab and /r/homeserver on occasion. I also am a member on ServeTheHome Forums for some ideas.

2) Not really. I started learning Linux young on my free time, rented a dedicated server and started running my own web hosting business which was fairly small. Became a regular on the dedicated server company's forums and helped others and started getting paid pretty well for being 16 at the time. Ended up one guy had referred me to his employer who hired me to run numerous Linux and Solaris servers for their company in West Hollywood while I finished high school and most of college. I just do this stuff for my own amusement and curiosity these days. Just a few side jobs here and there.

As far as Btrfs goes, it was the RAID5/6 that had issues. There's a condition in the code that, if it detects a bad data block, it will repair the data block, and the parity block. The data is correct, but the parity block ends up corrupt. So now, next time there's an issue, there's a 50% chance it will cause serious data corruption. As far as I've read recently on the mailing list, the RAID5/6 issues are all fixed in the for-linus branch which has been merged into the upcoming 4.12-rc1 kernel.

I've used RAID5/6 for a few years with zero issues (hardware or otherwise, so I never ran into this issue). Once 4.12 is well tested and others confirm these fixes, I'll probably convert my RAID10 storage array back to RAID5 to free up some space. Great thing about Btrfs - this can be done on an actively used filesystem in the background with a single command.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

ArmedAviator wrote:I have a 1U pfSense router with 4x gigabit ethernet. 1 port is for WAN, the other 3 are bonded/port-channeled/LAGG (whatever you want to call it) to a Netgear managed switch (GSM7328Sv2). pfSense handles all the VLAN routing. The switch has 2x built-in 10G SFP+ ports, and 2 module bays on the back, which I populated with 10G SFP+ modules. My storage server and VM host (which is also backup server) are connected via 5 meter Cisco DAC cables which came with the ConnectX-2s. I have a 100m long aqua (OM-3, I believe) fiber optic cable leading to my bedroom for my main desktop, also using a ConnectX-2. I went to add one to my HTPC, but only has a single PCI-E slot.

DAMN.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Made a few tweaks to my setup. Replaced the old dell in my bedroom with a slightly less old Dell (i3 7010 instead of a Core 2 780). It runs a bit quieter and takes up a little less shelf space. Most importantly, I double the RAM and the i3 is way more processor than the Core 2, so it's a Hell of a lot snappier. The 780 would struggle with video decoding when streaming; the i3 has no such issues. It also has a better integrated GPU; the 780 couldn't output video via DisplayPort for some reason, so I had a crummy discrete Radeon in there for AV out over DP. Now I do that with the onboard card, which streamlines things a bit. My TV still loses its mind and things the audio source has switched when the PC switches between media apps and the desktop, but it only takes a moment to recover so it's not the end of the world. And it's the worst TV ever made, so I'm impressed it can even handle audio over DP at all.

Meanwhile, my basement office has gained a few monitors (not very good ones, albeit), so I've rearranged a bit.
The main workstation: (monitor at the far right is for the Surface dock)

The secondary workstation: sits on the opposite side of the same office)

And my latest server setup. I un-racked a bunch of low-end servers that I just wasn't running regularly in order rearrange things a bit. Added some shelving for the network equipment and KVM arrangement so I can still slide the servers out without having everything stacked directly on top of them. Makes it a lot easier to work with individual racked components, and when I re-rack all the low-end stuff or add any other new components it should be a lot less disruptive to everything else. I need to figure out a better cooling solution for that room. I can get cold air in but getting the hot air out is tougher, and the sound volume is quite significant, so I prefer to keep the door closed. I may try to add some ventilation to the attic through the ceiling above the hot end of the rack.

ArmedAviator

Those Logitech speakers you have on your desk were some of the best PC speakers I've ever had. Wish I didn't sell them for these more expensive, less impressive Bose.

I always appreciated the slick look of Dell's servers.

RCA

Jeezz with all these complicated setups you need to eventually ask, what is your power situation?

MoD I see that basement setup and I was thinking "how many amps does all that stuff pull from the wall?"

ArmedAviator

I have everything in the rack on 2 1500VA UPSs. In total, it all uses about 580 watts idle so less than 5 amps on a 120V line. Fully loaded is definitely more, but only the one dual-proc server ever gets up to 100% CPU usage as it hosts VMs. The storage server and pfSense servers never break a sweat.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm not sure on Amperage for the desktops (my freestanding non-rack 1500VA UPSs on my desktops only show voltage and wattage; the rackmount 2200VA ups in my rack gives-real time readings for all 3, though), but the newer desktop (6700k) runs at about 350W under high load (and including all monitors and peripherals), so you can extrapolate from there: 110v @ 350w is under 5 amps.
The older desktop (a first-gen i7 920) runs a little more power-hungry, but it also has an older, less hungry video card, so it comes in at about 300w, which is just over 2A.
The laptops are barely noticeable; even the Thinkpad.

The servers? Well, here's what my UPS says (with all currently racked hardware running under slightly higher than normal load):

I don't have any flash storage on the server side (the desktops are mostly flash), so I'm sure that would improve if I got rid of my spinners.

Almost all my breakers are 30 amp, so even if I got a lot crazier, I'd be fine. I have a few 20s, but they're mostly double-ganged into 40-amp configurations. A few are 50s and the mains are 100amp.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Added a 1-over-3 monitor mount to the main rig. It freed up a TON of desk space. $70 from Amazon. I'm pleased.

lolit

PC: Macbook Pro 15"
Case: ???
Memory: 16 GB
Storage: 512 GB
Power supply: 87W USB-C Power Adapter

What you use the PC for: Mainly for programming, digital marketing, social media, forum interaction, and managing my multiple websites on hPage.com Website Builder.

lolit

PC: Macbook Pro 15"
Case: ???
Memory: 16 GB
Storage: 512 GB
Power supply: 87W USB-C Power Adapter

What you use the PC for: Mainly for programming, digital marketing, social media, forum interaction, and managing my multiple websites on hPage.com Website Builder.

JonhG
Car: going to buy Infiniti

Have an old laptop HP Probook , with i5, 12GB RAM , storage 512GB. Use mostly for internet, google docs/tables and MS Office. Have a PS4 pro for games.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I built a new machine and salvaged a couple old ones into a second new machine, so I figured I'd update. Both are purely for gaming; I have a 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Yoga with an 8650u for general use.

Main Rig:
MSI Gaming Edge X570 motherboard
Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB Ram (Corsair Vengeance at some speed I don't remember; not fancy 3000+ stuff though).
SATA 850 Evo 512GB OS drive
NVMe 960 Evo 256GB for games
NVMe WD Black 512GB for more games
A couple more 850 Evos and a 4TB spinner for other storage
RTX 2080 (non-Super)
A crapload of 140mm black Noctua fans anywhere there's space.

Second Rig:
MSI Z170 (I forget which)
i7 6700k
8GB RAM
AMD Vega 56 (I got a killer deal on this, which is what prompted me to throw the parts together to make a running machine with my old 6700k).
Samsung 850 Evo 256GB OS drive
Two more 850 Evos for games
1TB Samung PM851 for more games. (I salvaged this drive from a Surface Pro 4 with a failed battery.)
Corsair H55 water cooler (sucking fresh air from the rear) and the cheap NZXT non-PWM fans that came with the cheap NZXT case.

The main rig is driving 4k displays, but the second one is only driving 1080p displays, so it tends to look faster in practice. But 40+fps in RDR2 on Ultra at 4K is still very possible on the 3900x machine.

I think my next upgrade will be a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive for the Ryzen machine. I have plenty of PCIe lanes and I want to see what booting an OS from a drive that fast feels like. Unfortunately, my X570 board takes FOREVER to get to OS boot, so speeding up Windows won't help much.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”