What part is this

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
GahannaKid

My truck keeps dying on me. It'll start up just fine (usually) but after a minute or two it sputters and dies. I've been having a problem with random loss of power for awhile now and was hoping it was a spark issue but the tune up hasn't fixed it. Since a couple of days ago I've also been having an issue of it dying while driving around. The latest problem started this morning when I was letting the truck warm up and it died on me. I restarted it, it idles for a minute and then dies again. This time it wouldn't restart. I let it sit for awhile, come back and the truck starts right up again but dies as I'm driving away. I'm thinking it's a fuel issue, perhaps the fuel pump or carb but wanted to see what others with more knowledge thought.
Modified by GahannaKid at 10:01 AM 12/22/2009

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

check your fuel lines... and the pump

mine does this occasionally and its the fuel delivery... there may be stuff getting clogged in the lines from a bad gas tank... and sometimes there's just air in the lines... as long as the pump end up still being good... it probably just something in the lines

mine for example i know has a god pump... so when this happens to me i disconnect the lines and make sure just fuel comes out of them pre and post pump... once i reconnect them it starts right up

start there... let us know what happens

it may be a bad pump... it may be a bad tank throwing stuff in your lines... or it may just be air in the system

Project Trucker
Car: Datsun 720 pickup

you might also need to allow more fuel to run through the carburator mine did that for a while and i got it fixed by adjusting the screw on the side of the carb so hopefully its something easy to fix

moredunes720
Car: 1985 nissan 720 4x4

mine was doing that, i finally figured out the maze of stock vacuum crap by having an unaltered one right next to it for comparison. After that was fixed and a few cracked lines replaced, it runs like a champ. Apparently, the stock carbs on these things are real touchy with the vacuum stuff.

PEZi

yeah they definitely are... ALWAYS make sure you have fresh vac lines!

GahannaKid

At this point I'm thinking frack vacuum lines. Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of all the vacuum lines I can get rid of.

PEZi

if you do't have to worry about emissions testing... you can remove all of the lines except for the distributor vac advance... this can be found by following the the line from the dizzy, across the front of the engine, and over to the baseplate of the carb

dogred
Car: 1983 D720

I would start with the fuel filter, a clogged filter could also cause your problem. Had almost the same problem 2 months ago, except for the dying while idleing.

GahannaKid

I was removing all of the vacuum lines and was about to remove the carbon canister when I noticed that this line was already disconnected. I didn't do it so I have no idea what it is or, more importantly, where it's suppose to go.

I assume I can remove it altogether but I need to know where it went so I can seal it.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Ghann, that canister in the left front corner, is it connected to the fuel lines?

The vac lines, remove all except the vac advance. If you're uncertain about any thing, start it up and if you hear any suction on the manifold, locate it and blank it.

PEZi

GahannaKid wrote:
I assume I can remove it altogether but I need to know where it went so I can seal it.
it goes to something that looks almost similar on the other side of the engine bay... its what's known as the 'vacuum switching valves'... what year is yours?

mine is an '85 and on the other end where it ties in there is some electrical stuff that it all ties into... you can remove this as well but there were one or two electrical lines i ended up having to loop to keep the fuel flowing properly

Return to “Datsun 720”