What Oil filter???

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
II Kings 9:20
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SV

casperfun wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:22 pm
Long story short, I use to buy amsoil at my local hardware store until I couldn't. Then bought amsoil online from people (non distributors). I prefer not to buy an amsoil membership just cuz.

Anyways, Since u can't easily find amsoil at stores and now that I have over 100k miles, I'm just buying the cheap stuff at walmart.

Moreover, since I'm changing every 4k miles now and no longer doing 15k oci's, it's fine now.

Why am I using Quaker State? Because after watching project farm, I read the comments, and somebody mentioned a blog where a real oil expert who actually studies motor oil and with a background in oil at the molecular level, not just a youtuber testing oil but a real scientist type of person found out through his research that Quaker State full synthetic BEATS Amsoil 5w30 in wear tests.

Easier to find, and cheaper to buy. A double-win!

Anyways, any oil, conventional, blend, full synthetic will be fine on 4k oci's.

The end. :bigthumb:
With over 100k, I agree. Any oil will do.
Costco Kirkland full synthetic 10 qts for $25 would be my go to oil. Great oil and super cheap. I’ve never heard of one engine ever failing because of oil brand A over brand B. Some have been poorly designed with narrow oil passages that are prone to sludge like some of the Chrysler V6 and Toyota V6 is that if synthetic oils were NOT used, a “small number” of cars had some big sludge problems.

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

macgiver wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:11 pm
When you look into your oil ' filler ' opening do you see clean metal surfaces or is there any brown buildup and coatings of sludge in there ?
Mac - i looked into the fill hole with a light, and I did not see much since it's a small diameter. But I did not see black or sludge, and just saw metals in their normal color.

After reading this post, I have decided to switch to a synthetic oil and a better filter. Thank you.
I was changing the oil every 5k simply because of a bit of OCD and because for $20 (filter plus oil cost), why not. Can I go longer with a synthetic oil? I assume so.

Again, thank you

macgiver

Purely from a cost standpoint , going to say 7500 mi ( reasonable with FULL Synth. ) , " some " will arguably say your spending probablly a little more . BUT FULL synthetics are SO much better , and with a good micron rated filter media , deals can be had . And in your area you don't have DUST storms and 120 F like I do where I'm at !!
Also your motor sounds like it looks pretty clean , it then well deserves an upgrade in the oil department .

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I just posted about my 21 Altima and fuel dilution from being direct injection. You can run redline or Schaefer, but won’t help a thing if your oils being watered down by gasoline. I’ll keep the oil changes short, even using idemitsu or eneos in the winter and adjust accordingly one warm up times happen faster. I wouldn’t thing twice about running the qr25 7500 miles but the new engines are a different animal.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

On my last oil analysis, on a severe schedule with stop & go traffic in the city and idling alot during a 5000 mile oil change interval, my results displayed a TR on fuel dilution.

I didn't know the significance of it but I later found out that it was something good because Scotty Kilmer said that it was a beneficial sign on a car he was reviewing.

Anyways, I was using as stated previously Amsoil 5w-30 SS with the longer Mobil 1 M110 extended performance oil filter. :mike

I know I wasted the Mobil 1 filter way too early but I will be using my Fram Ultra 7317 oil filter more often on a couple of future oil changes.

macgiver

People !! We're ALL " ON IT " , you all know what to do , good job , your cars LOOOOOOVE you :yesnod

Hello Casper :wavey:

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Casper,
Your rogue isn’t DI so a trace (I guess) would be considered normal, although diluting oil with gas is never good. Scotty’s full of crap. My 21 that calls for 0w20 dumped enough fuel to cause the dipstick to go from full to quite a bit over. Granted it was pretty much snow and ice and highs in the teens and my cvt doesn’t shift until it’s warmed a bit, so I idled way more than normal for my first start of the day. I’m gonna pay attention to my oil levels from here on out, and if it moves I’ll change the oil.

macgiver

Scotty's full of TOYOTA :rotflmao

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:04 am
Scotty's full of TOYOTA :rotflmao
Off topic: Can anyone explain why folks buy Toyotas? My understanding is that most people can afford a full-sized Ota.
:lolling:

casperfun

Just wanted to mention my Rogue. Silly me.:inout:

Well who would you likely believe these days, the YouTube mechanics who show you what their doing, or your Nissan Dealership where you have to take their word? :poke:

Well excussseeeee me. :banana:

macgiver

Unfortunately many youtube mechanics are FAR more " Straight Shooter's " than those Service Associates we have to deal " up front " , more & more mechanics are secluded and verbotten from mingling with and HELPING? The customer , ya know.

macgiver

If you have a demonstrably high threshhold for B O R E D O M ...............gets ya one IOTA closer ........ to a F 'n TOYOTA :inout:

macgiver

No brains ?????...................then T O Y O T A is a NO BRAINER :spitout:

nabril

II Kings 9:20 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:43 am
I’m also using the truck sized filter because it’s a little bigger and I hate tiny filters.
Kings...how and where do you get a truck filter for a Rogue? I looked at the Wix website, for example, and they offer 2 filters that measure the same length.

nabril wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:39 am
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:43 am
I’m also using the truck sized filter because it’s a little bigger and I hate tiny filters.
Kings...how and where do you get a truck filter for a Rogue? I looked at the Wix website, for example, and they offer 2 filters that measure the same length.
Fram XG7317 Which is the same filter Hondas use. I will cross reference this filter with other brands or plug-in 2013 Honda Accord when you’re doing your search for WIX filters and that will do it. WIX also makes Napa filters and word on YouTube is that WIX are making Walmart Supertech filter now. Need to confirm that one.

casperfun

I’ve been using the Fram Ultra XG7317, the longer version for the last decade. They still look pretty puny in my opinion but I’m still willing to keep them through 2-3 oil changes. No problem.

casperfun wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:42 am
I’ve been using the Fram Ultra XG7317, the longer version for the last decade. They still look pretty puny in my opinion but I’m still willing to keep them through 2-3 oil changes. No problem.
:rotfl XG7317 is Puny indeed but still bigger than the thimble Nissan uses. Ever see a Hemi V8 filter. Looks as big as a quart pickle jar.

casperfun

I did use the thimble size version of a extended performance Mobil synthetic oil filter ONCE to see if it improved startup rattle. Personally, I thought it might have been quieter.

But not so much quieter that I didn’t want to trade away more filtering medium. So I went back to the longer Fram ultra’s I usually use.

The only thing I worried about is if the Fram ultra’s have the same bypass pressure settings as the smaller oem Nissan oil filters. I’m too lazy to research specs, but if the oil was bypassing the filter every so often because of different pressure settings in the longer one. That be bummer. Just ocd thinking here.

But not too worried since I had no problems for nearly 13 years. More worried about my original cvt. :spitout:

casperfun wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:42 pm
I did use the thimble size version of a extended performance Mobil synthetic oil filter ONCE to see if it improved startup rattle. Personally, I thought it might have been quieter.

But not so much quieter that I didn’t want to trade away more filtering medium. So I went back to the longer Fram ultra’s I usually use.

The only thing I worried about is if the Fram ultra’s have the same bypass pressure settings as the smaller oem Nissan oil filters. I’m too lazy to research specs, but if the oil was bypassing the filter every so often because of different pressure settings in the longer one. That be bummer. Just ocd thinking here.

But not too worried since I had no problems for nearly 13 years. More worried about my original cvt. :spitout:
How can you tell when the filter is in bypass mode other than wondering about it? I've not researched it either but every filter cut down test I've seen never mentions the filter length vis a vis bypass pressure. I did my own cut down test for magnet performance and saw no apparent difference in the rubber bypass unit on different filters although I wasn't looking for that purpose nor did I use calipers to measure thickness. My guess would be thicker rubber means more pressure to bypass but they all "look" the same :gotme .

casperfun

Apparently, it’s a problem with Subaru’s I read long ago. I did find an article that does mention it.

PERSONALLY, I don’t think the Rogue has this issue. The longer the filter, the better ability to collect more contaminants! :bigthumb:

https://www.oildepot.ca/use-longer-oil-filter/

:clap: :domo: :clap:

casperfun wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:51 am
Apparently, it’s a problem with Subaru’s I read long ago. I did find an article that does mention it.

PERSONALLY, I don’t think the Rogue has this issue. The longer the filter, the better ability to collect more contaminants! :bigthumb:

https://www.oildepot.ca/use-longer-oil-filter/

:clap: :domo: :clap:
Yes, the arithmetic makes sense that a filter that is larger with more media and it would do a better job of filtering especially if one goes long-term between oil changes. BMW Mercedes routinely have 12 to 18,000 mile oil change intervals. I never go that long unless it’s a leased vehicle. On a turbo charged car, I generally like to do five or 6000 miles and on a non-turbo 7 to 10,000 if that’s what’s called for in the factory specifications. These tiny filters don’t make a lot of sense to me. I always thought Honda used tiny filters and now that I’ve seen the Nissan, it is the smallest filter I’ve ever seen for an automobile. I asked the dealer if they would use the larger truck filter if they did the oil change and they said they would not. I suspect that if you use a different filter and it is noticed by them if there’s an engine problem, they will claim that it caused the problem which we know it didn’t. Under warranty I’m not taking any chances. I’ll stick with the factory size filter and even bought Nissan brand filters for that.

nabril

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:33 pm
casperfun wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:42 am
:rotfl XG7317 is Puny indeed but still bigger than the thimble Nissan uses. Ever see a Hemi V8 filter. Looks as big as a quart pickle jar.
Amazon mentions that the xg7317 does not fit my 2015 and 16 Rogues.
Do I ignore that, which seems like a dumb move?

nabril wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:54 pm
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:33 pm

Amazon mentions that the xg7317 does not fit my 2015 and 16 Rogues.
Do I ignore that, which seems like a dumb move?
It’s not a listed filter for my 21 or 22 either. You have a different engine. As you look at the filter, is there space for a longer filter? It may be an inch longer so it probably matters not if you use the tiny Nissan. I checked mine and the diameter is identical and there’s plenty of space for the 7317. I have not used it since I am under warranty but I’m probably going to skip that line of thinking and use it on my next oil change.

casperfun

I wouldn’t trust the EBay or Amazon compatible listings. Do your DD.

I trust car forums though. Luckily, I learned that there was a longer version of our oem filter like a decade ago thanks to car enthusiasts!
:domo:

nabril

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:49 pm
It’s not a listed filter for my 21 or 22 either. You have a different engine. As you look at the filter, is there space for a longer filter? It may be an inch longer so it probably matters not if you use the tiny Nissan. I checked mine and the diameter is identical and there’s plenty of space for the 7317. I have not used it since I am under warranty but I’m probably going to skip that line of thinking and use it on my next oil change.
I'm sorry, but I'm confused about the response.
On the 2015 and 16 Rogue, the filter is protected by a plastic cover that moves back for access, so I assume with confidence that a filter that's an inch longer will fit.
But, will it screw in properly? That's the obviously important question, and I don't know if your answer helps since your Rogue is of different years, right?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

nabril wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:08 am
But, will it screw in properly? That's the obviously important question, and I don't know if your answer helps since your Rogue is of different years, right?
People have been substituting the longer truck filter for the weenie filter for years, and practically everything Nissan since the late 90's takes one or the other. The threads and seat are identical, the truck filter is simply longer.

nabril

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 am
People have been substituting the longer truck filter for the weenie filter for years, and practically everything Nissan since the late 90's takes one or the other. The threads and seat are identical, the truck filter is simply longer.
thanks Vstar. Using a bigger filter makes sense, and I'm sorry that I just discovered that "trick" and not years ago when I had an Altima.
So, I if understood your reply correctly, the XG1317, for example, will screw in correctly on my 15 and 16 Rogues, but will simply be longer.

And if I wanted to try another brand, how do I know what the truck equivalent of that brand that will fit on the Rogue?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The original Nissan p/n for the truck filter was 15208-31U00, the most current p/n is 15208-9E01A. If you just search for equivalents to those, you should find the right stuff every time.

nabril wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:08 am
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:49 pm
I'm sorry, but I'm confused about the response.
On the 2015 and 16 Rogue, the filter is protected by a plastic cover that moves back for access, so I assume with confidence that a filter that's an inch longer will fit.
People have been using the longer truck filter for years. I cross referenced the longer pick up truck filter which also fits the Armada and other V8 Nissan and it too is the Fram 7317 which fits our beloved Rogue.

From Vstar
The original Nissan p/n for the truck filter was 15208-31U00, the most current p/n is 15208-9E01A. If you just search for equivalents to those, you should find the right stuff every time.
Attachments
4AA06E4F-B00B-4FA3-879F-77AEC8ACE936.jpeg

nabril

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:20 pm
From Vstar
thank you for your continued help.
1) What is Vstar?

2) According to my research, my 2015 & 16 Rogues should take the Vix 57356. Can either you or @casperfun or whomever confirm if that is correct?

Return to “Rogue Forum”