What octane are you using in your rogues?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
maddchase
Car: Rogue SL AWD

I posed this question in the gas mileage log thread and got a couple good responses. Rossifumi posted a great explanation over there regarding octane, so be sure to chek it out. Still, I just wanted to get more input from everyone.

Basically, I'm curious as to what octane you all are using in your rogues, or has anyone tried different ones and seen any significant change in mpg and performance. Thanks.

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Personally, I go by the manufacturer's recommendation, so I'm sticking to 87 octane on this car. However, I am picky about who I get my gas from, and generally only buy from Exxon, Shell, Mobil, Sunoco or Valero.

I'm hesitant to get Hess gas, though I suppose if I'm really low I'd hit that. No way on Earth I'm putting Getty or Gulf swill in my tank.

-Ed

Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

I plan on using the middle of the road stuff. The low end grade doesn't have the fuel cleaners added and the middle of the road and top line (premium..) claim to have cleaners. For years I put premo in my X90 and Rodeo and their systems are clean, and I put Techron fuel injector cleaner in a few times a year. That made each tank run smoooooooth. Oh baby. But I don't know if Premo is all that necessary. The reason I am going with mid grade is that the owners manual clearly states not to use any fuel additive with a tank of gas (anything that comes in a bottle that you dump in your tank first before filling up) therefor, my days with the little pint bottles of Techroline are over, and I'll stick with mid grade because of it's cleaning properties. I too am picky about the gas vendor. I know of a Syracuse University study from years ago on the various manufacturers quality. A certain widespread but commonly known maker that has lower cost gas than the other mainstream makers had so much water and other crap in their fuel it wasn't even funny. The mom and pop stations usualy carry this stuff too. Buyer beware! Of couse that was years ago and maybe they have improved their quality. Alas, it's mid grade for me and I hope and pray that the 10% MTBE's don't eat my fuel system alive..

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

I'd be careful about calling it mid-"grade". Octane and grade are often confused, and from my research, the only reason for upping the octane is for engines that require it. Most engines are optimized for 87 octane fuel, including the Rogue's so I would suggest it.

Gas companies do a really good job of trying to upsell gasoline by naming it the "premium" grade, and introducing cool sounding chemicals like CLEANTRON and MEGASPEEDATHOL to entice you to spend that extra penny, but I'm finding that this might actually dampen the performance you get from your engine, and possibly even damage it in the long run.

I'm no expert though, but take a look at wikipedia's article on Octane ratings: . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

87, with no issues.

philipa_240sx

There have been a few threads on this so I will be resurrecting them to add some more information.

On the Rogue, regular fuel is recommended. There is no need for premium. The Octane rating refers to fuel's ability to resist engine damaging detonation. Normally, you will not get any more power or increased fuel economy by using premium fuel. The QR25DE engine used in the Rogue features a very sensitive knock sensor. This will retard ignition timing if pinging or pre-ignition occurs to prevent engine damage. This can occur when using poor quality fuels, carrying heavy loads, high heat, etc. When ignition timing is retarded, fuel economy and power will decrease. This probably the only time using mid or premium grades of fuel can produce more power and hep fuel economy.

And lastly, please DO NOT use fuel injector cleaners, additives, octane boosters, etc. Some of these products can be harmful to the engine. Some older Nissan's suffered fuel injector failure by use of fuel injector cleaners. Nissan released a TSB recommending NOT to use these products. The dealer has a proper fuel injector cleaning system if cleaning is required.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Wow, that is pretty surprising that off-the-shelf injector cleaners can be damaging. I'm sure most people don't know that (like myself), and the consequences of that ignorance could have terrible consequences. I imagine the warranty would be voided if the injectors failed due to these additives?

Do you feel there will ever be a time when having the injectors/fuel system flushed would be a good idea? Perhaps after a lot of city kilomters, short distance driving? How about an engine flush?

philipa_240sx

I edited my post above.

Nissan does have a special fuel injection cleaning system that is made by 3M. It is not a DIY kit. If the dealer feels you need injector cleaning, they can do it properly and without damage.

The TSB regarding fuel injector damage is for older Nissans (up to '94). Nissan may have improved thier injector design since. IMHO fuel additives are of little benefit. You might as well flush your money down the drain!

Stay away from engine flushes, Seafoam, etc as well. You engine does not need it. The best thing you can do is change your oil and filter regularly! My Altima had 230,000km on it and I never used any of that junk and it ran just fine.

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

Off Topic?

I was wondering about the winter de-icers like "Heat". Years ago their blend was harmfull to fuel injectors. I did not use any this last winter btw.

philipa_240sx

De-icers? Do you mean gas line antifreeze? I haven't used the stuff for years and I never noticed a difference with or without it.

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

philipa_240sx wrote:I edited my post above.

Nissan does have a special fuel injection cleaning system that is made by 3M. It is not a DIY kit. If the dealer feels you need injector cleaning, they can do it properly and without damage.

The TSB regarding fuel injector damage is for older Nissans (up to '94). Nissan may have improved thier injector design since. IMHO fuel additives are of little benefit. You might as well flush your money down the drain!

Stay away from engine flushes, Seafoam, etc as well. You engine does not need it. The best thing you can do is change your oil and filter regularly! My Altima had 230,000km on it and I never used any of that junk and it ran just fine.
I'll have to disagree on the Seafoam statement. It actually does a great job of cleaning the injection and air intake system. I'm not sure how it is on Nissans, but I've used it on my Mustang and Truck. Rogues of course would not need it because they just came out and should not need any kind of cleaning this early.

neovision1981

What about those Lucas brand oil additives and fuel line cleaners? Anyone have any experience with those?

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

....neither, I use the mid-grade.....but I could probably easily get bywith the regular grade because of the altitude here.....(requires lessoctane, the higher you are...), I'm at 5280' here....

spicekay
Car: Rogue

Does anyone here buy 87 grade gas for the Rogue? Since I bought the Rogue last year I have only been using premium gas, but paying $68 to full my tank is no fun. I am considering going to 87 but need some advice. I dont remember what the manual says.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

AFAIK premium won't get you any benefits in the Rogue and the OM says to use 87.

Search this forum and the web and you'll find a lot of discussions about Regular vs. premium.

You've probably wasted all those extra premium bucks, IMO.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

That's right, no benefit to buying premium. That is one of the benefits to having the Rogue rather than the a vehicle like the VW Tiguan, for example, which requires premium.

spicekay

Guess I have been brain washed into thinking not that I have to buy premium but that its better for my Rogue

philipa_240sx

I used 87 octane in my Altima that had the 1st gen QR25DE motor. It ran fine for 5 years. The Rogue uses a newer 2nd gen QR25DE motor. It runs just fine on 87 octane as well. There is little benefit to running a higher octane fuel in the Rogue... unless you like paying more for gas.

BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

Just buy a quality 87 with detergents. Premium won't buy you ANYTHING with this engine (from a Sentra). However, buying cheap gas is a different story. Avoid supermarket, Walmart, etc. gas.

I think Texaco and Chevron have the best 87 gas; heaviest on detergents and I believe they don't use ethanol at all in them. Shell only puts it's best detergents in its V-Power premium gas.

Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, BP, Conoco, Valero are all ok as well but I always look for Texaco and Chevron.

I'm not a oil/gas expert but my father has exclusively used Chevron gas in all of his cars for 20+ years and he drives them like a grandpa. He's never had any fuel system problems.

Our 2002 MDX at 70k miles was really running like crap. The dealer determined the EGR ports and head were totally gunked up. I spent $250 and had it completely cleaned and now it runs great. They told me not to put junk gas in it. My g/f had nearly exclusively used the Murphy Gas station at the Walmart for that past 20k miles.

The ~$.05 premium you pay for a real brand is totally worth it. It's like good vodka vs bad, there's a HUGE difference.

philipa_240sx

BrianV wrote:It's like good vodka vs bad, there's a HUGE difference.
I'll take the good vodka!!!

roguetoad

"good wodka"

That's good advice about supermarket fuel. However, if you add the proper additives to it, it'd probably be OK according to some industry articles I've seen. But, the price of the ad\additives would more than offset any discount on the fuel.

Re Chevron: That's been my experience during 50+ years of driving/racing/rallying also. Wish we had it around here. All we've got is Sinclair and Conoco. Despite what it says on the pumps, I'm not sure about Sinclair.

had a Jeep/Chrysler dealer friend who said his techs often commented how much better injectors looked on fleet cars that ran Chevron only.

Leo2005

hmm. really cold vodka = any good vodka.

bshess

Tehe...try finding any gas in Flori-duh now without any ethanol in it...nearly impossible thanks to our state government.

spicekay

I have never seen a Chevron gas station. I live in NY. Shell and Mobile are the mains ones by me

roguetoad

At the Michigan Nascar Sprint Cup they were talking about Mobil backing out of the retail gasoline biz. So maybe Mobil sites will get replaced by something else in MY.

Sure hate that as I grew up in upstate NY pumping my bike tire at an old Mobil station. Will miss the horse!

philipa_240sx

Various news reports stated Mobil stations will keep the brand name:

http://www.reuters.com/article...80613Quote »The company will maintain the Exxon and Mobil brands, Exxon spokeswoman Prem Nair said.

Consumers will still be buying gasoline at stations that carry the Exxon and Mobil names, but they will not be owned by the company.[/quote]

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

I have always used 87 grade Shell gas.....

roguetoad

[QUOTE=philipa_240sx]Various news reports stated Mobil stations will keep the brand name:

Long live the horse!

Fudd
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Wife driving 2011 Rogue SL. Currently using 87. Getting less than advertised MPG of 22 - 26. My mileage is 20.2 - 20.8 urban and highway miles. Dealer service manager says I need to go to 91 octane for improved mileage. Says gasoline I'm using is leaded, contrary to what the sticker on the pump indicates. SUGGESTIONS?

takeshi

Using higher octane fuel in a vehicle designed for 87 provides no benefit. Our other car requires 91 and gets 91 or higher (93's what we have around here). The Rogue gets 87. If you're not getting the mileage you expect then the fuel is the least of your concerns -- unless you happen to consistently get bad fuel.
Fudd wrote:Dealer service manager says I need to go to 91 octane for improved mileage. Says gasoline I'm using is leaded, contrary to what the sticker on the pump indicates. SUGGESTIONS?
Always consider the source. I'd consider anything the service maanger says to be dubious based on the above.

Return to “Rogue Forum”