what mileage did you put your turbo on? what miles you got now?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

subject basically says it.........oh yea, and have you heard of anyone turbo'ing their motor w/ over 100k miles? and is the motor still going?

Daunttless

A motor with over 100k can be turbo'd. Most don't suggest turbo'ing on a motor with over 70k though. At that point everything is fairly old, you may wish to consider rebuilding before you turbo with over 100k.

UncleBen

yea i knew that it probably wasn't smart to turbo over 100k miles, but i've heard of people doing it and having no problems. as long as i don't boost over like 7 psi should i be aight u think?

Daunttless

I can't tell ya one way or another, because who knows, it might work, and it might not, it depends on your individual engine. : ) I don't know what shape its in, and theres no way for you to tell me, so pretty much it boils down to this. While turbos are not necessarily a direct cause of engine failure, they can be, whether in OEM or aftermarket turbo setups. They DO put more strain on the engine, which may or may not lead to failure. At 100k+ your engine has fairly warn gaskets and seals. You are taking those worn gaskets and seals and subjecting them to even more pressure. Who knows one way or another. Your engine may have some seals that are close to breaking, but they aren't because they don't have any additional strain besides what they're used to. Or who knows, everything in your engine may be in great shape. I'd say if you put a turbo on and only run 7 psi, as just a ballpark guess, your engine will be fine for a while, but expect a shorter life from it. If you are already at 150k, I wouldn't expect more tha 30k out of it, problem free. If are you are at 100k, I still wouldn't expect more than 40-50k out of it problem free. However, it very well could be dramatically less than that. So its whatever you are willing to try. : ) Good Luck!

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Hey Ben,

I think it would be a good idea to sell it and buy an SR20. I was pro KA for a long while, but after owning a Turbo KA, I have absolutely changed my mind. Granted, I bought a turd, but in addition to what Daunttless has pointed out, anytime you turbo something that wasn't that way from the factory it just doesn't seem to work out.

Plus with the SR, not only do a get an engine that is meant to be turbo, you get an engine with a much larger aftermarket that can easily outrev the KA any day. Plus, there's just something about putting the engine back in that was SUPPOSED to be there.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Dammit, when am I going to get rid of these F$#@^g hubcaps!!!!!

UncleBen

yea man your car has been on my mind like this: "don't let this happen to you...." yea i wish stupid nissan had put the sr20 in our cars. retarted ****ers. but i still love my car:D

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”