What is Your System Like?

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

I have a Sony CD player in my 240 hooked to factory speakers. The only boom-boom I have is a pair of Rockford Fosgate subs (10's) powered by an MTX amp. No capacitor, but StreetWires wiring and fuses.

It sounds pretty good, but I may upgrade the mids and highs with new speakers and upgrade to new subs that drive a little harder. I'm thinking of Alpine for the mids and highs (I love Alpine!) and Eclipse AlumaPros (is that what they're called?) for the subs.

Any additional suggestions? Any new, crazy subs that I don't know about that are fabulous? I'm not going crazy with the system as my primary focus is performance, but I do like to blow it out every now and then with a little Eddie Grant on Electric Avenue...hehe.

Post up your system and give me some suggestions! :help

SR20DET240
Car: Um... cars

240SX Stereo Suggestions

Hey repo_man, been a while since I've talked to you. I figured since you're helping find a 240 (or selling me yours) that I could give some advice where I have a little expertise.

That link goes to a thread on a car stereo board that I belong too and was asking them what their opinions were on my stereo plan for a 240. There is some off topic stuff in there occasionally, but overall I got the feedback I was looking for.

I don't go to that board much because everyone there has a pretty big ego. Everytime I'd ask what to use in a particular setup and opinions on it, every single post would conflict with each other.

Guys would be telling me that Alpine sucks and bla bla bla. I guess we're entitled to our own opinions, but a guy doesn't want to ask for advice and get dissed on what he has.

I'm not a fan of Sony's car audio line, but I don't diss people about it like the guys at that board did.

Anyway, I decided not to put the cart before the horse. I want to get a 240, put in the SR20, and when that is said and done, I will worry about the stereo.

Later

Repo Man

Cool. Thanks! The Sony that's in my car came with it when I bought it. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it works. Cold Zero actually has a nicer system than I do. His deck is a brand new Alpine unit and JL Audio subs.

Gotta hate it when someone flames you for no apparent reason...

I like your sig. Hehe.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

some of the best subs you can buy are eclipse (sp?) subs. my freind has a one 10" and it will thump the **** out 3 10" mtx subs. It has an aluminum cone and 500 watt RMS with 1200 watt peak, the one sub weighs like 10 pounds. The one he got is normally $450-500 a sub but it was last years model so he got it cheap. They are tight and sound real good.

SR20DET240

It really depends what you are going for.

I won't doubt that the Eclipse sub is awesome. But if the sub costs that much, imagine how much the amp to power that thing will be!

All I'm saying is you have to spread out your funds equally in your system. If the amp sucks, the sub won't sound as good as it should.

When you are running with the big dogs, be prepared to fork out the $$$

Anand

I have a Kenwood MP3 player for a deck.... Boss component's front and backI left the stock tweeters in the front as well (since they work good)2 Audiobhan 8" in a Custom made box with plexiglassA 1000w interfire amp No capacior..All the wireing and installation and making of the custom box done by none other than ME! =)it's a damn good job if I do say so myself.... Maybe i'll take some pictures and post them up in a day or so.. once I clean up my damn trunk... pluss... i think I still have some bottles of alcohol in my trunk from new years! =)

Oh yea... this is a downgraded system since I got tired of the loud crap I used to have.... this sounds really really clean and enough loudness when I want it.. It will definetly give some of the Bog Dogs some compitition... (depending on if they know what they are doing he he)

Repo Man

Black240 wrote:Oh yea... this is a downgraded system since I got tired of the loud crap I used to have.... this sounds really really clean and enough loudness when I want it.. It will definetly give some of the Bog Dogs some compitition... (depending on if they know what they are doing he he)

Hehe, mine is the same way. I had an '86 Turbo Buick (modded of course!) and had a pair of Soundstream SPL 15's in the back. That SOB would make your ears bleed. People were always rolling up their windows when I pulled up and when I put some 3-6 Mafia, it would set off car alarms and rattle stuff inside buildings that I pulled up next to.

And when some ricer put in some crap rap, I put in some Black Sabbath or Disturbed and blew him into the next parking lot. :D

red240ne
Car: mmm...donuts

I have an Aiwa CD player, which is the first money I put into my car 10 months ago. My factory radio didn't work, so I was like, SCREW THAT, I'm gettin my ICE right now. ;) I also have some Pioneer speakers in front, and NO speakers in back. They were crappy factory ones that were falling apart and sounded crappy, so I threw them away. Hopefully I can get 2 more speakers for the back some time, but for now, Who Cares?

Anand

you know what... I think I have some clarion 5 1/4.. lying around somewehere... I can sell those to you eally cheap.. they are awesome fillers.. IF you want to put them in the back.. that is... you just give me like $25 + shipping... it won't be that much...

RYNO_s13
Car: Kickboxing, driving like I stole it.

I've got Xplode 3way 6x9s in the doors, sony head, eclipse 6.5's in the rear, and as soon as the Rynomobile gets out of the shop, I'm going to put in a pair of Infiniti Perfect 10's in the hatch. Undecided on an amp as of yet.

Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

My front end consists of a custom door application 6 1/2 conversion from 5x7 (factory configuration) filled with Infiniti Kappa Perfect components (doors fully sound deadened). The speaker wires are upgraded CL3 rated 14 awg wires. There are two wires on each side, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. Those wires run back to my Precision Power PC4800 (100w x 4ch @ 4ohms). I am using only 2 channels of this amp right now as I enjoy the front soundstage without any rear fill, although I plan on putting some Infinity Kappa oversized 6 1/2's in when I get some time and money to do so. I have 2 Eclipse Aluminum 12' subwoofers mounted in custom boxes (1/2 and 3/4 inch MDF) that are formed to the contour of the trunk. I built a false wall to mount my Precision Power ampilfier on (1/2 inch MDF). This also creates a small compartment to put small objects in through the arm rest pass-thru. My subwoofer amplifier is the JBL BP.1200 (1200w x 1 @ 2ohms) and the speaker wire used for the subwoofers is Streetwires 8awg cable. It is mounted within the contour of the left hand side subwoofer enclosure. My trunk, trunk lid, doors, and headliner are all covered in Dynamat Extreme. In the rear bumper of the car, there is a styrofoam board that usually rattles I have put some expanding foam in there to keep it from moving. I have the Clarion ProAudio DRX-9675rz (limited production) cd player in the dash connected to Streetwires ZN 2.0 interconnects. My power cable is Streetwires 4awg for each amp, and a 1 farad Streetwires cap for the entire system. I also upgraded the battery ground to Streetwires 4awg as well. No rattles, no light dimming, and great sound that is loud and clear.I worked for, paid for, designed, and installed every part of this audio system. Although it took many many late nights, lots of pizza and beer, and bandaids, it was worth it.

RYNO_s13

Simmsled wrote:My front end consists of ...
:bowdown There's a moderator spot open for this forum, I vote for simmsled.

stretch240sx

my sig has my stereo

Onizuka

RYNO_s13 wrote:I've got Xplode 3way 6x9s in the doors, sony head, eclipse 6.5's in the rear, and as soon as the Rynomobile gets out of the shop, I'm going to put in a pair of Infiniti Perfect 10's in the hatch. Undecided on an amp as of yet.

infinity perfect 10's kick *** too. bu tif you have the money go with Eclipse :ylsuper

RYNO_s13

I never really noticed a large diff. between the IP and an equivalent Eclipse. I do however really like my 6.5's they hit pretty damn hard to be so small. I have to stand up for Sony though, a lot of peeople bag on them, but unless you have tuning forks instead of ears, there a good product for the price, unlike some other brands...coughfosgatecough.

SR20DET240

I'm planning to get a 12" Perfect if you take a look at the link in my previous post.

I've heard many things. Would like to clarify, what is the factory speaker sizes in the 240?

Onizuka

for the s13 its 4x6 in the front and 6-1/2 in the back. hope that helped :wavey

RYNO_s13

I had 4x6's, I believe that's standard. as for the rear, I had none. Someone took them out. But I believe they used to be 4x6 also. I had to cut the mounts to get 6.5's in there

SR20DET240

Yeah I heard that its 4x6 all the way around in the s13.

I'll take your word for it Jspec.

Is it real hard to modify the doors for like 5 1/4" or even 6 1/2" components? Speaker depth is also a concern because i dont want the magnet to hit the window.

P.S.Had that happen once on a stupid honda. Why do they have to use stupid shallow mount speakers on accords?:mad:

Sopdadope

1. Nakimichi CD-45Z headunit (used to run an Eclipse 55430 deck)2. Alpine ERA-G320 indash 14-band Equalizer3. CDT Braxial 6.5" component speakers upfront4. Infinity Kappa 693.3 3-Way 6x9's rear-fill5. Hifonics Zeus Z400 150Wx2 (powers the CDT's)6. Hifonics Zeus Z200 100Wx2 (rearfill)7. Lanzar Vibe 1200D 1200W mono8. 15" Image Dynamics IDMAX subwoofer (used to have a pair of IDQ's in a custom frog-eye fiberglass enclosure) 9. Optima Yellow Top battery

RYNO_s13

SR20DET240 wrote:Yeah I heard that its 4x6 all the way around in the s13.

I'll take your word for it Jspec.

Is it real hard to modify the doors for like 5 1/4" or even 6 1/2" components? Speaker depth is also a concern because i dont want the magnet to hit the window.

(Had that happen once on a stupid honda. Why do they have to use stupid shallow mount speakers on accords? :mad:)
I'm not sure if this helps, because my doors now have 6x9's, but remove the door panel. The speaker grill will be attached to the panel. mounted to the door will be a silver box type thing with the speaker in it. remove that whole assembly. Now, with the speakers out, this is what I did. Remove the speaker grill. Take a few pieces of HARD paper board, and trace the outline of the grill. Cut these out and place them in the door panel where the grills were. you want them flush with the outside of the door panel. From the back of the door panel, cut out the inside edge of the hole from the pieces you just made. Then mount the speakers to the door panel.

Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

240sx speaker configurations1989-1994Front: 4x6...1.75in clearance behind speakerRear: 4x6...1.75in clearance behind speaker

1995Front: 6 1/2...2.6in clearance behind speakerRear: 4x6...2.6in clearance behind speaker

1996-1998Front: 6 1/2...2.6in clearance behind speakerRear: 6 1/2...2.6in clearance behind speaker

hope that helps

SR20DET240

cool!

thanx simmsled!

InstantRice

J-Spec Tuner wrote:some of the best subs you can buy are eclipse (sp?) subs. my freind has a one 10" and it will thump the **** out 3 10" mtx subs.

eclipse are some of the nicest subs in productions but thats pretty much impossible(on an even playing field) based on sheer surface area. if it was a ****ty company like legacy or something yes but mtx isnt exactly good but it aint horrid either.

Onizuka

yeah i guess your right. the only reason i said that is because we were at circut city looking at sub and they had a deal on the tri sub enclosure with 3 MTX 10's and i think the eclipse setup he got is much more impressive.

Onizuka

Simmsled wrote:240sx speaker configurations1989-1994Front: 4x6...1.75in clearance behind speakerRear: 4x6...1.75in clearance behind speaker

1995Front: 6 1/2...2.6in clearance behind speakerRear: 4x6...2.6in clearance behind speaker

1996-1998Front: 6 1/2...2.6in clearance behind speakerRear: 6 1/2...2.6in clearance behind speaker

hope that helps

My 91 240 came with factory 6-1/2 in back 4x6 in front. its a base model so...:D

sorry for the glare

SR20DET240

what are the size differences between coupe and hatch?

yeswepromise

i'm rockin' one door speaker and a pioneer head unit. hell yes!

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

Running an older model Super Tuner, two MTX Thunder 6000 12's powered by an MTX 2150 amp. (In my Toyota TK)

If I ever get my car, I am planning on putting either three or four twelves under the hatch. I have a friend with four 12 inch thunder 5000's getting pushed by an MTX D-class amp in the hatch of a Ford Probe. That is what I am going for. Figure on doing some db drag races.

Onizuka

SR20DET240 wrote:what are the size differences between coupe and hatch?
im not sure for the hatch, but for the coupe its deffinately(sp?) 4x6 in front and 6-1/2 in back.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”