What is up with Nissan Dealers?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Coral Spring Nissan literally rejected to create an appointment to get my brakes done for Sunday May 20 @ 3pm and Tuesday May 22 @4:30pm. This is where I bought my Rogue from. Called the Local Nissan dealer and they got me an appointment for this saturday. So what the hell is going on? Does it really take "2 HOURS" for a simple rear brake pad replacement? If this is how dealers will keep on treating me, Nissan's dealerships will loose my business.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

2 things.
Why go to the dealership for brakes when most brake shops will do it for half the money?
Brake pads are quick and easy...thought about just doing it yourself? You can get better than OEM pads at pretty much any parts store.

RCA

Desert Rat wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm
2 things.
Why go to the dealership for brakes when most brake shops will do it for half the money?
Brake pads are quick and easy...thought about just doing it yourself? You can get better than OEM pads at pretty much any parts store.
Hey Desert Rat, techboss isn't asking if he should replace his own brakes or where he should get his brakes done.
He's asking if 2hrs for a rear brake pad swap is normal.
It probably doesn't take 2hrs but they are under promising, and over delivering.
If they tell you it take 15mins and it take 30mins it could upset customers.
IDK if this is a common thing across Nissan dealerships or even the industry.
I haven't dealt with anything like this as a Nissan owner but I only have done oil changes.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I wouldn't go to any Nissan dealer for anything besides free/warranty work, and even that is highly questionable.

Nissan's dealer network is atrocious.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Depends on the dealership, or more correctly the shop personnel ! Recently I brought my 1967 Datsun RL411 in to Southern California Torrance Nissan to have the transmission serviced [I do that every 4 years even if it does not need it, hint for longevity!] and after about an hour of technicians worship of such an old Datsun the nitty gritty started. The only 411 in the Nissan software was a VW ! So we punched in a 1967 Sentra [should have been an Altima, the JDM Bluebird} and the dumb computer said "OK" and proceeded to write a service order. The head mechanic found out that there was no part number for the transmission [British Borg Warner M45] anywhere in the system even though it was used in the early 510s. He worked his !@# off and found out that this transmission was still in production for European cars and found a local import dealer who had the needed parts! Thanks to his efforts I was able to source and buy a complete BW transmission rebuild parts kit for future safe keeping.

Bottom line, if your car is older than the supervisor or mechanic that is assigned to work on it you are in trouble !

If the dealer is smart enough to keep some grey beards, you have a fighting chance !

Torrance Datsun was my dealer of choice when I first moved to the So Cal area, and though they have relocated and other newer to my home dealers have since opened, I still prefer them, they have retained many of the techs and parts folk that I have dealt with for 40 years, and that experience cannot be beaten !

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:08 pm
I wouldn't go to any Nissan dealer for anything besides free/warranty work, and even that is highly questionable.

I mostly agree with James. I have also actively avoided dealerships except for warranty/recall stuff. You can save a lot of money going to a good independent shop. The trick is finding an honest one. They definitely exist, but it requires a little bit of networking/research to find them. Don't assume a new car dealership that sells your brand is always the best choice for repairs...or is the only choice. That's literally playing Russian roulette. There are some reputable new car dealer service departments out there, yes, including Nissan, but unless you do your homework, and most folks don't bother, you could easily get screwed or overcharged and not realize it until it's too late. Good luck.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

RCA wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Desert Rat wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm
2 things.
Hey Desert Rat, techboss isn't asking if he should replace his own brakes or where he should get his brakes done.
He's asking if 2hrs for a rear brake pad swap is normal.
It probably doesn't take 2hrs but they are under promising, and over delivering.
If they tell you it take 15mins and it take 30mins it could upset customers.
IDK if this is a common thing across Nissan dealerships or even the industry.
I haven't dealt with anything like this as a Nissan owner but I only have done oil changes.
I can read - thanks. Don't think anyone would ask unless they were considering it, and I presented alternatives.
You can get off your high horse now.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Bubba1 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:48 am
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:

I mostly agree with James. I have also actively avoided dealerships except for warranty/recall stuff. You can save a lot of money going to a good independent shop. The trick is finding an honest one. They definitely exist, but it requires a little bit of networking/research to find them. Don't assume a new car dealership that sells your brand is always the best choice for repairs...or is the only choice. That's literally playing Russian roulette. There are some reputable new car dealer service departments out there, yes, including Nissan, but unless you do your homework, and most folks don't bother, you could easily get screwed or overcharged and not realize it until it's too late. Good luck.
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:

I learned my lesson with going to dealers for my Honda Accord... the guys charge me why too much and those f***ers decided to hit my Accord with a brand new car... But then, there is always the chance and opportunity to suck money out from the dealers for causing a scene. I also do try to be cheap on my parts too, but I try to go OM, not those crappy chinese knockoff materials.

However, we kinda put roughly 25K miles on the Rogue per year, and we just only do oil changes and tire rotations at the dealer. The brake fluid job was done at the mech near to my high school, like the other suspension work we had for the Accord. However, it is my dad paying the money and he prefers to have it done at the stealership; me on the other hand, I'd prefer to DIY the beach. Only thing I go to the stealership for servicing is only Oil changes. Once the tires need to be replaced, its gonna be done at Costco, cause I'm too dang cheap to pay for tire rotations every time.

Return to “General Chat”