What is this worth in your opinion?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Ahennem

I was wondering if I could get an experts opinion. What is this '64 L320 worth?

I will be 100% honest and say I know nothing about Datsuns. I've been into mustangs my whole life. Had an '88 GT and currently own a '13 GT. As much as I love mustangs I feel there is nothing new to learn. I've been wanting something completely different than i'm used to, learn some new skills, step into the unknown. That's how I stumbled across this truck.

The seller is currently asking $2000 for it. The car runs but idles high. Goes into first and reverse. Hasn't tried the other gears because the brakes haven't been bled yet. All the glass is there. Looks to be missing some trim on the drivers side. I really appreciate the help. Thank you! :biggrin:

Pics of the car:
http://imgur.com/a/0giIg

Video of engine running:
https://youtu.be/sfLJYEtSQps

waynosworld

There is a lot of work there, it has cancer.
I can also tell you this, that carb is not the one it came with, at least I don't think so, the front glass on the 320 carbs had 4 screws holding the glass front on, and I believe it is a E1 engine, because it has the canister oil filter.
I think $2000.00 is a lot, but that depends on where you live also, I am kinda cheap, I don't like paying a lot unless nothing needs done to it, and there is a lot to do there.
I would ask you how tall you are also, there is not a lot of room in the L/NL320 trucks.
I will also point out that these little trucks came out from the factory with 60hp, that is a far cry from what Mustangs had, these little trucks top speed was about 70mph, I suppose one could get going a little faster if you were going down a steep hill or if you drove it off a bridge, but I would say if your in a hurry all the time, this truck is not for you, you can change the gearing in the rearend to drop the RPMs down, but 60hp is only going to push the truck thru the air so fast.
Around here(Pacific NW) they are asking $2000.00 to $3000.00 for a 320 that in some cases don't even run, so I guess that might be a decent price, but these trucks don't seem to be selling either.

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

Asking price seems reasonable, but I have paid less for better condition 320s (before you figure in shipping/transportation). I recommend doing some quick "get it on the road math" for parts and make an offer.

I caution on the "just need to bleed the brakes" line. These are old little trucks with polished aluminum lined wheel cylinders, brake and clutch master cylinders - i.e. the score easy. Kits are available on eBay, just have to look, and all brake and hydraulic items are available from your local parts store, but this will cost you up to $500 if not more if you do a complete rebuild, which I highly recommend.

So again I'd figure in some numbers and make an offer around $1200 and compromise at $1400.

Wayno hit on the rust, and from what I see the rocker and behind the seat look to be the worse - rust repair can get expensive, is not guaranteed, and you will be paying even more for fabricated panels that probably will not match very well.

As Wayno pointed out 320s do not seem to be selling - One is because someone asks an outrageous price for a 320 with a missing motor, front glass, doesn't run, or desert/barn find missing lots of bits. Tried to sell my one '65 and got just one bid - and I was not asking something stupid. Oh well, it's still my daily driver and it helps out the neighborhood for all sorts of things.

Carburetor looks to be from an A Series Datsun engine but not too sure of this.

All mechanical parts are available or can be had. The exception is the transmission gears. You said it goes into first, so the first (no synchro) and second gear sychro cluster should be good. If you have to use gorilla strength to get it in first gear the synchro is bad, I recommend walking away at this price. There are no internal replacement parts available and a transmission swap is your only and expensive option.

Here's the link to my flickr account if you would like to take a look the different rebuilds and pics for reference.- https://www.flickr.com/photos/113742723@N07/albums

Any questions just ask
Good luck,
Li'l Truckie

Ted Heaton
Car: 64 Datsun 1500 Roadster
63 NL320 Sport truck

TOO much rust.
The gas tank in the bed is NOT stock. TACKY!
Price is too high
Find a better truck.
Ted.

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

The rust already discussed and the make-shift gas tank in the bed, leads me to think that the original tank under the bed is probably rusted out in the bottom. An original tank can probably be acquired on one of the forums; get out more $$.

Get ready for lots of work and scrape up a sack of $$. Good advice from 'Truckie' on on a 'shoot-em-a-price' strategy. Decent driveable 320's do turn up for a reasonable amount more from time to time if one digs in and is patient.

Steve

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

Ahennem,
I'm just curious. I always study the items in the periphery and background of photos. What is that black car sitting beside the 320? My guess is an early 50's Mercury that is part way through a section job.

Steve

Ahennem

Thanks for the opinions guys. After looking up parts and how much it'll take to get back on the road I think I'll go a different route.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Ahennem,

Probably the wisest choice (sorry, but my one parts truck has less rust than this one). I would say that if this was local, I would pick it up for a parts truck. Again, max $1000 to $1200 (if they deliver), sell off or keep/exchange out -

Front Glass, not crack/pitted ($350-$450)
Front and Rear bumpers/bumperettes with brackets ($250-$350)
Emblems and trim (~$150)
Front turn signals and rear lights with steel boxes (I think these are missing) but if present $300 if not more. Seriously, half of all 320 are missing the rear taillight box housing.
Hydraulic bits (~$250)
Transmission (~$300-$400)
etc, etc,

BUT patience and time is required to recoup ones investment.

Andy

waynosworld

That's hilarious, I just cut a set of them off an L320 box a few days ago, who would have thought they were worth that much.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Oh I know. I've been able to pick up an unused OE left box from eBay and my '64 came with a left one (but was/is missing the right one).

Pretty sure the one I picked up on eBay has been the only one on there for the last 2-3 years.

So I'm currently missing 1 x left and 3 x right boxes and of course all of the lens, bezels, and lamp housings.

Andy

Return to “Datsun 320”