What is this??

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
JCClotfelter

Recently failed a serpentine belt on my 2007 3.5 Altima. The wire and connector to this sensor was broken off and needs repaired, but I'm getting varied feedback on what sensor this is. It is directly below the crankshaft pulley for the serpentine belt and a few inches to the right of the oil filter. It appears to be a single conductor wire, but I need to look closer to verify that. I've got a picture but can't seem to figure out how to post a picture to this forum???

macgiver

mac, maybe it's something throwing a "hidden code" ,possibly no Svc Eng light, whereas a Scan-tool may pick it up , translating the code # , Voila , name of the device . :yesnod Ya know Autozone + others scan-check no charge - they usually refuse CLEARING ANYTHING though! :rotfl

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

How to upload pictures on NICOclub:
using IMGUR
using TINYPIC

JCClotfelter

link to a picture of the sensor I'm trying to ID.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix image link

macgiver

mac , I don't see you getting codes out of that situation :lolling: , why don't you take that picture to a local Nissan Dealer's Parts counter ,they'll lookup whatever , flip their screens over your way to see "EXPLODED" views , & whatever.Also helps to go there when they are not so busy :naughty:I mean now it's cool to ask in this "Great Forum" but getting an answer & getting a DOZEN GUESSES - goto dealer & verify what the replys here come up with, and get dealer's PRICE for sometimes it's not that "Steep" . :cool: G 4/3/2018

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

my guess would be the oil pressure sending unit / oil pressure switch

JCClotfelter

I appreciate the info. I did take it to the dealership parts desk and he unfortunately wasn't real helpful. He was guessing that it was either a crankshaft position sensor or oil pressure sending unit. The replacement sending unit had 3 conductors (I think) and the plug looked way different which is why I wanted a second opinion. My best route may be to just take it in to the dealership shop and have them figure it out and fix it.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

To me, the shape of it looks just like the oil pressure switch, and on most cars the oil pressure switch/sending unit is located right next to the oil filter...

Also, crank position sensors look nothing like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-2 ... B00BFE67WA

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+ni ... 1&dpr=1.25

macgiver

mac, if this is still a mystery , and "some say" oil pressure sender (idiot Lt. SW. sender) , and looks like it IS JUST RT. of the oil filter can - That suspected broken wire can be "Grounded " THIS WAY ONLY - for safety- and see if dash lights-up the "oil-Indication" (Lo pressure warning).
Way is use 3A or less FUSED JUMPER that has connected a 12V bulb (bigger than dash bulb ie. 1157,Interior bulb etc. ) IF that wire has 12+ voltage on it to ground when Ign. w/RUN position on - You ground that wire with the fused/bulb-connected jumper WHILE looking for the "Oil Idiot Light" in the dash , again this done w/ Ign = RUN . IF the "inline-bulb" is relatively bigger than those small dash bulbs you should see the particular warning illuminated, and the fuse and bulb combo is such ,because foolish to simply short to ground a wire with "known voltage" on it ; and this does appear to be Oil sender though. :yesnod G 4/4/2018

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Oil pressure switch, it looks like the last bit of the connector is still stuck in the top.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”