What is this axle nut cover part?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Right after you remove the cotter pin, the cage that covers the axle nut is missing. Or whatever it’s called.

Most likely, the Nissan technicians lost it or were to lazy to put them back.

So I’ve been driving without one for many years after getting some work done long ago. :bang

Does anyone know the part number or what you call this, I prefer to order online on eBay or Amazon instead of driving to the dumb dealership. Thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've heard them called a bunch of different names, but most Nissans don't use them. DPC doesn't show any in the '09 Rogue drawings, front or rear, and I don't recall any of the Rogues using them. Sure you're not mixing it up with another vehicle?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The most common names are probably Spindle Nut Cage or Spindle Nut Retainer.

casperfun

Ok thanks Vstar, my ocd was kicking in because I was watching YouTube. Apparently 2010 didn’t have one like in the pine hollow video.

But in the auto fix pal video with the 2012 had one as shown. Moreover, 1A auto also had one which was again a 2012.

Just wanted to be safe. I just tried to say to myself that the cotter pin was enough. My only worry was it could loosen with my luck.

I’m in the process of replacing a split inner boot and replacing the outer boot while also in there as preventive maintenance.

Didn’t mean any offense with my speculation. :rotz:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:16 am
Didn’t mean any offense with my speculation. :rotz:
None taken, Casper, don't be silly. Just being helpful and pointing out that many Nissans don't have them. With an actual spindle shaft with conical bearings they're critical, because the spindle nut is keeping the bearings located in the races. With a splined shaft and ball bearings like most Nissan front axles, you can barely call them insurance. I've seen people come in with the nut completely backed-off from a sheared or missing cotter, but the only complaint was clicking from a front wheel. :)

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Just did my summer tire change over and noticed that my 2011 S Rogue has the 12 point axle nut cover "thingama jiggy" with a cotter pin.

casperfun

Shut up I hate you! Lucky bastard! :laugh:

I still have to risk my life and limb.

Moreover, I bought a used part on eBay from a Sentra I think and it showed a washer, 32 bolt and that thingy ma jig. But the stupid part didn’t fit nor the bolt.

So I’m screwed because I can’t find this part! :bs:

You got 4 send me one! :slap:

Johnnymaxwell
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue

So our 2017 Rogue has the locking covers in the front but not in the rear? With 50k on the car just replaced a rear hub bearing, was making a whining noise that got louder with speed. The axle nut came off easily, with just a ratchet. So…. Did it loosen because there was no lock cover or was it not tightened at the factory? 50k seems way too low a mileage for a hub bearing to fail.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The rear axle nuts for AWD are supposed to be 92 lbs/ft. That's about half of the fronts, but they still shouldn't have come loose without a cheater bar. However, like I said earlier, with a splined shaft the nut isn't really doing any work other than to prevent the splines from clicking when you change directions. That's so common there's actually a bulletin about it. So the bottom line is, it's no big deal, just retorque them properly and don't worry too much.

Return to “Rogue Forum”