what is this and how can i get some

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
nismo 03
Car: Nissan 240sx

i need a new distributor!!but rather get the coil pack now my question is where can i get a set of them and how hard are they to install????

icice9
Car: 280ZX

ive never seen that version before but i have seen the TEC-II set up.. i know theyre not cheap... well heres the link

http://www.racetep.com/emc.html

JaymzRC
Car: 2002 Hyundai Elantra.....only mods done to it is a cut open airbox LOL

wow nice engine setup...what is that...L28?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I think thats one of braaps, I can't remember what stand alone he's using but it's not megasquirt, I assume it's wasted spark with the coils wired in pairs, seems the logical way to do it, and would work with any aftermarket setup

so what is your current set up? you say you need a new distributor but provided no details, turbo? n/a? using the 280zx n/a distributor? using the 280z stlye? or the optical 280ZXT? stock managment system? looking to upgade? want to run EDIS?

nismo 03

evildky wrote:I think thats one of braaps, I can't remember what stand alone he's using but it's not megasquirt, I assume it's wasted spark with the coils wired in pairs, seems the logical way to do it, and would work with any aftermarket setup

so what is your current set up? you say you need a new distributor but provided no details, turbo? n/a? using the 280zx n/a distributor? using the 280z stlye? or the optical 280ZXT? stock managment system? looking to upgade? want to run EDIS?
aight as u know i had a single weber carb with a t3 turbo. I got the triple webers and want to go with that and a set of headers (i hate fuel injection and all wires). Now i want to clean things up arround the engine bay and im planing on making this a d/d. The distributor on the car is a stock n/a one i dont like how it looks and like i said before i hate all the wires that are ran to it. I like the set up in the picture up top but have not idea where to get something like that or how to wire it. I was told i cound go to a junk yard and find some but was never told what car i could get them from.

I am currently working on getting the webers restored(all i need is a few gaskets now). I am still looking for some headers and am thinking of trying to make my own.I need a new starter, Pulley kit, aluminum radiator, electric fan, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail I just added my oil cooler 2 days ago (ill get some pictures later) i got it from a old l28et that was at a junk yard for $25 all i neeed now is some new fittings and hose's

icice9
Car: 280ZX

ill tell you this.. its not going to be as easy as jsut getting some coil packs from the junk yard and plugging them in.. most stand alone systems run on a computer that you most likely will have to program yourself.. youll need a crank sensor so it will tell which coil pack to fire at certain times.. try searching online for stand alone ignition systems and see if its the route for you.. but if its just for "looks".. then i dont think its the right system for you...

nismo 03

computer program

i dont want them any more

evildky

the only way to run coil packs is with some sort of controller, the cheapest way would be to mount a Ford Edis wheel to your crank pulley, you would nee the EDIS control module as well as the pickup and coil pack or packs, I'm not sure of youcan get edis to trigger the actual coil packs without some computer to receive the saw signals and output the pip signal, and the pick above is a ron tyler setup controlled by a wolf stand alonhttp://forums.hybridz.org/show...spark

nismo 03

nah sounds like way to much work but is their a distributor i can use that does not use the chip or any wires or does it need that

evildky

the 240Z used a points type distributor, it uses only the one wire hooked to the coil but points wear out and have to be adjusted, either the 280z or the 280zx distributors use only 2 wires and you'll need a coil of some sort whatever you use, this guy mounted his coil to his block and re routed the wires, under the oil pan lip, he also wrapped the fuel lines around the block and through the inner fender, and this one is of course fuel injectedhere is a similar one where you can see the coil mount and the heatshield applied over the header keeps the heat down as well as keeping the intake air cooler, he also rerouted his fuel lines to come up the rear

nismo 03

i am running the msd ignition and the blaster 2 coil. Will i have to make a heat shield?? will that dirtributor u are talking about drop into place?? and the wire that u are talking about is that the wire that goes from the distributore to the coil???o and i am also plainin on re doing my fuel line i want it to go around the fire wall and not the front of the engine and the oil cooler as well

evildky

if you're running the MSD box, it needs to be mounted away fro the heat and vibration of the engine; on the firewall, inner finders, battery try, or even inside the cabin, the MSD box will work with all distributors except the turbo, for the points distributor it hooks to the one white wire, if you want to keep it clean I'd recoment the 82-83 280ZX N/A dist and something like the blaster SS coil, it's muc smaller and easier to mount than the traditional coil allowing you to tuck it under the distributor like the one in the pic

and back tot he multiple coild packs, you could also use an MSD DIS system, with individual coil packs, but I thought you wanted to stay away from the additional electronics, I say either the DIS or loose the MSD box

nismo 03

evildky wrote:if you're running the MSD box, it needs to be mounted away fro the heat and vibration of the engine; on the firewall, inner finders, battery try, or even inside the cabin, the MSD box will work with all distributors except the turbo, for the points distributor it hooks to the one white wire, if you want to keep it clean I'd recoment the 82-83 280ZX N/A dist and something like the blaster SS coil, it's muc smaller and easier to mount than the traditional coil allowing you to tuck it under the distributor like the one in the pic

and back tot he multiple coild packs, you could also use an MSD DIS system, with individual coil packs, but I thought you wanted to stay away from the additional electronics, I say either the DIS or loose the MSD box
i say i will keep the msd with stock distributor. as for the blaster coil i can also hide it under the distributor i pulled out the ac pump a long time ago lots of space around that area. if i do get the distributor from the 82-83 zx will it still have wires running to it or not and does it use that chip on the side of the oem distributor??? what would happen if i disconnect the wires going to the distributor????

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”