What is the normal RPMs at 60mph for 97 2wd 4cyl

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Wileyolecoyote
Car: 1997 D24 Nissan pickup XE 5 Spd manual 2wd

Hi I’m new to this forum and new to Nissan. My uncle left me his 1997 2wd 5 spd XE pickup. It had sat for a long time and I have been chasing down codes related to Evap and MAF control valve. I have replaced everything and so far no new codes. But it seems my RPMs are high. In 5th gear at 60mph it is at 3500 rpms. Is this normal? The truck starts and runs great!

Kdd1234
Car: 1997 Nissan Pickup Xe Extended Cab 2.4 liter, 5speed.

I had a code on my 97 with 2.4 5speed on the maf. I know when I had that problem the rpm gauge wouldn’t read correctly all the time. I hooked up my scanner with live data and compared what it said with what the stock gauge on the dash read. If I remember correctly it read as high as 1500 higher. I would go check to see what rpms are at 60 but mine is currently broke down. I want to say it runs at 3000 at 70 mph. Hope this helps you.

Wileyolecoyote
Car: 1997 D24 Nissan pickup XE 5 Spd manual 2wd

I have been watching my tach more often now and it does seem to fluctuate at times. The engine doesn’t seem to be running high. I started out driving a old 72 jeep with no rpm gauge listening to the engine to shift. I have a lead on a guy who rebuilds gauges in my area so going to him next!

Thanks and good luck on get yours back on the road

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”