What is the best thing for someone starting in the Racing would.

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
slowpoke2005
Car: 240sx se

Ok i just got a New 95 S14 its had a little work done to it. I like drag racing, but what is Auto X? All that i have done is a little drag racing. I like the idea of drifing, but like every thing else i cat find somewhere near me to go to. Does anybody know were an Auto X or any Road Races held at in alabama that might be like with in a 2 hour drive of Anniston or Oxford. That would be like a drive from my house to Atlanta GA. Thanks for any help.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

The best thing you could do is get on the SCCA website and find a local chapter and get hooked up on the auto-x. This is the best and safest way to test the limits of your car and yourself as a driver, at least to start. This will also allow you to network and find the driving clubs near you that do driver's ed and lapping days. The BMW and Porsche clubs run both and the instruction you'll get from either one is invaluable.

My personal opinion is to do this, run a driver's ed and assess the weaknesses of your car on the racetrack. You'll find out quickly what the biggest weak areas are when you start pushing the limits. You will also learn a hell of a lot about driving and have a ****load of fun.

Some sites to visit:

http://www.scca.org

http://www.bmwcca.org/members/...lcome

http://www.pca.org/

That should get you started. Good luck and have fun!

repo

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

slowpoke2005 wrote:Ok i just got a New 95 S14 its had a little work done to it. I like drag racing, but what is Auto X? All that i have done is a little drag racing. I like the idea of drifing, but like every thing else i cat find somewhere near me to go to. Does anybody know were an Auto X or any Road Races held at in alabama that might be like with in a 2 hour drive of Anniston or Oxford. That would be like a drive from my house to Atlanta GA. Thanks for any help.
AutoX is a small twisty course set up in a parking marked by cones that you race against the clock. Very fun, very popular. There are lotsa clubs that do it.

If you're not far from Birmingham, there is a wondeful track called Barber Motorsports. Supposed to be a beautiful road course. There are many car clubs that rent the track for 1-2 day HPDE's (high performance driver education) That is where you can experience driving your own car on a race track with instruction. They're not very expensive and you'll learn a lot.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

barber motorsports park, road atlanta, not sure how close roebling road is, but thats another great track

theres a NASA HPDE coming up at roebling road:

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/...shtml

tryiian
Car: 95 blue emerald s14 KADE traded for 1992 black hatch base

since AIM didn`t seem to work too well...pasted from im logs:

"Hi James, I`m Sean, I live in Bham and read your post on nico about "starting in the racing world". There`s quite a few road racers (and even a small group of us s chassis owners) in AL, the two forums you need to sign up on to find out about local events (and meet local people with similar interests and cars) are http://www.240sxforums.com and http://www.bhamracing.com Once you`ve signed up on 240sxforums, look in the Southeast regional`s section and say hi in whatever "alabama" thread is at the top of the list. As for bhamracing, it`s just a good site to learn about local events and meet other racer types, though the site is heavily biased towards drag racing, there is a minority of road racers on it, and another group of drifters.

Finally, to answer your question about how to start in the racing world aside from drag racing, your first step should undoubtedly be to come to come to the birmingham autocross held at least monthly at the Birmingham dog racing track (see details and the schedule at http://alscca.org/solo2/index.shtml ) and to start driving mountain roads (if you don`t already). If you`re familiar with Mt Cheaha, it`s the best road I know of nearby you, and actually, it`s so good that people from a ways away will drive to it just to drive it up and down. It`s so special because it`s a true, barely-two-lane, winding mountain road that happens to stretch for 14 miles or so. Even the best of the roads in the Birmingham area can`t compare, so you`re lucky to be a bit closer to it than us.

other than that... iGuess i`ve talked your ears (or eyes) off enough as is... i`ll let you soak all that in and see where you go from here. See you around, hopefully."

and another thing iForgot to mention in all that is that I know a guy named Kody who lives in oxford, and iSort of know some of his friends. Kody has an eclipse (red, auto, i/h/e with some sticker/logo mess on his rear glass and a wobbly back right tire due to a bent rim) He`s the guy who introduced me to that Cheaha mountain road.

slowpoke2005
Car: 240sx se

hey thanks but i wont beable to race for a while. car is kinda mesed up. I dont realy know whats wrong with it. It wont start or even kick over. All you hear is the starter turning. I was driving down the road and i went to shift into 5th gear and the clutch pedle just droped to the floor and i had to pull it up with my foot now it has a little presher on it. It stayed runing and i pulled to the side of the road and checked every thing. It all looked fine but i could push it into gear without it grinding or anything but it wouldnt move. Well im goung to pull the trany off and check the flywheel and the clutch. any other ideas to what it could be?

Well ill check those forums. Thanks for the info. But i have some ?? about the Mt cheaha im about 45mins from it. Do they have a set times that you can run up or down it. Or Just a free for all?? I saw a few people that have a 240sx. Ill see if i cant find the Kody and talk to him some about it. HEy thanks agin.

tryiian
Car: 95 blue emerald s14 KADE traded for 1992 black hatch base

sorry bout your clutch, or whatever could cause that. Mt cheaha is literally just that, a mountain. No gates, no admission fees. open 24/7

skylndrftr
Car: 07 Versa S / 2010 Ariel Atom (pending...)

i would suggest a couple autocrosses first even if you want to go road racing just to get a limit control baseline. Then go do an HPDE (i prefer them to the Scca race school) and get your doors blown off by guys running stock focuses and rabbits and realize you have a lot to learn

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Driving on the street hard is stupid, dangerous, and inheriantly BAD for learning how to drive properly.

The lane discipline builds incorrect racing line habits.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”