What is the best size & touring tire (for comfort) on my 2004 FX45?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

I just bought this 2004 Infinity FX45, 315HP, AWD machine and it has 20" wheels and 265/50R20 tires; and I find really grips the road and feels every bump.

I'm 60+ and love the looks, power and handling, but I drive more like an old-man who every once in a while likes to step-on-it. I'm also a Michelin Man and am leaning heavily towards the V-rated Michelin Primacy AS-XL; or the new H-rated Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra which boasts 80,000 mile and UTQG rating of 800AA vs the Pirmacy that is a 55,000 mile tire and has a UTQG rating of 540AA.

A) Can anyone tell me what the best "comfort" tire is on the market the fits my OEM 20" wheel and low profile tire 265/50R20?

...OR MAYBE THIS OPTION MAY DELIVER MORE COMFORT AND GIVE ME ALL THE PERFORMANCE I NEED?

B) Has anyone "up-sized" to the 255/55R20? ...Why am I asking?

NOTES:

* I used the Tire comparison charts and found this tire is just 1/2" taller (+2%) and about 1/4" narrower (-3.8%).

* The Michelin Primacy AS-XL is a V-rated tire; and the Brigdgestone Alenze AS-Ultra is a H-rated tire, which is still pretty fast, and has received a lot of good press. (Priced at ~$240 ea.)

* Here's there rub: The 255/55R20 is a tire mostly used on minivans and some SUVs. So right there, you know it's made for comfort more than performance. However, I'm thinking that this modern tire should still preform very well vs the construction and composition of rubber used in 2004 vintage tires that came stock on my 265/50R20 tires.

* Moreover, I'm thinking the 1/4" narrower tire will "lighten" the feel of the steering wheel -- making it more comfortable to drive and maybe more "nimble" too. (Just a guess vs. going with a wider tire... like the 275/50R20 that is used on a lot of highend SUVs made between 2010-2022.

So for all us "aging" FX45 owners who want a more comfortable ride in our 1st generation FX45's, what have you done to accomplish this?

...And/or what do you think about using a 255/55R20 to replace the OEM tires? ...And how much performance do you think I will be missing if go this route?

imnprsd

I decided to go with 255/55R20 Michelin Primacy and I am very happy with this decision. My steering is also lighter and easier to turn. And I can't see any difference, but my ride is softer now.

imnprsd

OP Update: Changing tires to a slightly higher sidewall will improve the comfort of your ride, but it's just 1 of the many things you need todo in order to restore your FX to the same ride off the shore floor.

To improve the comfort of your ride, without sacrificing handling performance, I would cheaply replace the sway bar bushings and your steering rack bushings.

If this does not help, then you probably need to replace your front struts, rear shocks and bushings, and lower front control arms. I did all these things and found a 5x improvement. However, it it also true all these replacement parts are designed to return your ride to OEM specs. That said, your FX was guilt extremely "tight." So, you can't expect it to ride like a sedan unless you find a front strut and rear shock you can use that will fit and ride like a luxury sedan. ...If you do, please let us know what fits!

Personally, I don't give a "F" how good or bad my FX handles in a corner. Instead, I would prefer to enjoy the "G-forces" and I wish the ride felt softer and more comfortable on the "straight and narrow!"

imnprsd

OP UPDATE: I found the best way to "soften" your FX35 ride is to install the 2003-2008 Front AWD Struts for a Nissan Mirano. (See my other post for more information.) This mod is by far the best way to go... and everything else also helps. You will need to get a realignment so I recommend you also replace your inner and outer tie rods and if you have any slop in your steering wheel you can fix that by tightening the rack & pinion nut to the screw drive. ...If you have 115K miles or more like I do; and you plan on keep your car; I would also replace the sway bar links and probably the lower control arms too!

PS The Michelin Primacy tires are also very good and quiet! And the pric on Amazon is excellent at $169/tire with free delivery to my mechanic's shop!

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”