What is the best concert you’ve ever been to?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
NoahSmith20
Car: Maxima

What’s your opinion?

macgiver

KISS @ Orpheum , Boston 1977 / close 2nd Springsteen @ Music Hall , Boston 1978 (?)

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Me personally was the Aaron Lewis acoustic tour. Saw him at the Fox Theater in Visalia CA.

My wife says Brittney Spears.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Being an old fart, I have to go back to the late 60's for my favourite night, as far as experiences go: A Paul Butterfield blues band concert, where me and two of my buddies snuck back stage during the concert, and drank one of their beers while they were on stage. Didn't get caught.
As far as best music goes, there's two that come to mind: late 60's Hollies concert just before they broke up and started Crosby, Stills and Nash.
The other one was a Styx show at the Ottawa Outdoor Blues Festival about 5 years ago. Slick, polished show, but still connected with the crowd.

Should do another thread on most disappointing concert you've been to.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

The original Rock and Roll concert at the Brooklyn Paramont! The star of the show [excluding the police clearance of those standing in the aisle in lieu of a mosh pit]in my opinion was Screaming Jay Hawkins ! He was born on stage in a coffin, leaped out dressed out as a voodoo man and did "I'm gonna put a spell on you!" Screaming Jay did not suck up to d!ck Clark, so was deliberately excluded from follow on "Greatest Stars" compilations the the d!ck Clark organization perpetrated! on the following generations.

To pacify very disturbed parents there was an appearance by Les Paul and Mary Ford. Since the site was a movie theater and did not have the necessary audio tricks to emulate the track delayed vocals, Mary Ford's sister hid back stage and did the vocal delayed voice parts. It worked !

Little Anthony and the Imperials were not bad!

Some at my work were seeking early Rock and Roll concert tickets. Sad to say, the Brooklyn Paramount issued run of the mill red "admit" tickets just like you got for the Saturday afternoon cowboy and serial presentations, or current day Santa Barbra BBQ feasts ! I guess they did not believe that Rock and Roll had a future.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I saw the best and worst in one concert. Best: The Ramones circa 1978 in PA. Great show, full of energy, crowd was really into it. They were the opening act for Patti Smith (her big hit was "Because the night"), which was the worst concert. One of the angriest singers I've ever witnessed, and for no perceptible reason. She broke a guitar every song or 2. After breaking all the stings over-strumming and screeching (her amp was thankfully not on), she then smashed 'it and got handed another one. Half the crowd left by her 4th song/3rd broken guitar. My group stayed 2 more songs hoping the next song'll be better. It didn't happen. Awful.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've seen Foo Fighters a bunch of times. One of their earlier shows was definitely in my top 5. It was just a great time, they sounded tight, the crowd was super in to it, I did a whole lot of crowd surfing, and didn't end up on my head.
I also saw Sevendust back in the day. Pretty much the same story as above, except I brought a girl to this show so I didn't do as much crowd surfing. She caught a drum stick that the drummer threw into the crowd, so it was nice to get a souvenir.
A former NICO member's brother is/was the Sound Engineer for Jimmy Eat World. They came to town down here in Mississippi a few years ago and I met up with him, along with a friend of mine. He took us out to dinner and drinks, then we hung out on the tour bus and watched top gear until it was time to check out the show. We got free merchandise and everything too. No complaints!

I saw Kiss, Ted Nugent, and Skid Row once for 20 bucks. Ted Nugent is the loudest concert I've ever been to. I noticed there was no one standing in the front row, and figured out why when I got up there. The music was so loud it actually blurred my vision and made me dizzy.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

slipknot was a lot of fun the couple times i've seen them. snoop dogg was a great show as well. manson was good for the nostalgia, but he's old and fat now.

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I've only been to 2 concerts so my opinions are quite biased to christian music. lol. I've been to Mercy Me and Newsboys. By far the Newsboys were better. The drummer has a platform that rises up, tilts forward, and then spins all while he's on it and drumming. Was awesome......

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm

I saw Kiss, Ted Nugent, and Skid Row once for 20 bucks. Ted Nugent is the loudest concert I've ever been to. I noticed there was no one standing in the front row, and figured out why when I got up there. The music was so loud it actually blurred my vision and made me dizzy.
I saw Nugent too, looong time ago. Yep, loudest concert ever. Impossible to "make her..ahem..purr with a stroke of his hand" because both hands were busy covering ears. :)

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

been to at least a couple hundred shows over the years. Hard to pick a fave. The Hard Working Americans show I saw last weekend was pretty darn good though. Grateful Dead was always fun. So many of the old classic rock bands put on such good shows, it's hard to pick one.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm
Ted Nugent is the loudest concert I've ever been to. I noticed there was no one standing in the front row, and figured out why when I got up there. The music was so loud it actually blurred my vision and made me dizzy.
Same problem with a Fleetwood Mac concert I went to about 6-7 years ago.
Loud to the point that my ears hurt. Spent half the night with my hands over my ears.
There was no need for them to be that loud. Spoiled the show.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I've been fortunate enough to have seen a lot of bands over the years and I don't think I could narrow it down to just one. I can pull up some highlights though...

Ozzy - Bark At the Moon (Crüe opened for him!)

Van Halen - 1984 Tour
Sammy Hagar - VOA
Van Halen - 5150
(was really cool to see these from a band history perspective)

Police - Synchronicity

Prince - Sign o' the Times

Billy Joel - Storm Front

Metallica - Black Album

Anthrax & Public Enemy (Primus Opened!) - Bring the Noise

I got to see both Dave Brubeck and Chick Correa (seperately) when my college was on a jazz kick. Both of those were great but can't believe I actually got an opportunity to see Dave Brubeck, even if I wasn't old enough to appreciate it as much as I probably should have.

For me, to somehow quantify any one of these (or even leave out the ones I didn't mention) is to say one is better or even more important than another. I can't do that.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Metallica. Nothing else comes close and I've seen a lot of bands.

Honorable mention: The Eagles, Bruno Mars, Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift.

The worst: whoever the chick was that opened for Bruno Mars, she was truly awful. The Band Perry (which sucks because they are from my hometown).

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

So many shows, awesome musicians, great crowds, great venues, great memories. Can't pick. There's too many ways to measure 'best', I've been to so many shows, and my tastes are so eclectic it's tough to compare anything. Not to mention a personality mental block the prevents me from picking the best of nearly anything, anyway.

Hmm, I really like the music festivals. I like getting in 10 or more bands and hearing different styles throughout the day.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Haven't been to a lot of concerts (most of the bands I like are dead or missing members by now).

The best was probably Tom Petty back in the early 90s (I remember it was the same year I saw Nigel Mansell race in Phoenix, so it was a long time ago...heh).

One that surprised me was POD as a followup to some other band. They were fun to watch; good entertainers. The other stuff that night was more technical modern music that really didn't involve the band doing much onstage. But POD got into their act and had fun.

Saw Chicago and They Might Be Giants at the same show. Weird combo, but both were fun.

The Eagles are coming to my area in a few months and even minus Glenn Frey I'm sure it will be a Hell of a show. Currently trying to justify the cost of tickets...

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

TMBG pair off with interesting acts. I've seen them with Moon Hooch one time and Jonathan Coulton another. All were fun, great shows. Did they do a puppet show for you? We got one.

Another act I wasn't ready for was when Asleep at the Wheel opened for Bob Dylan. Though they seemed to have nothing to do with the aging folk crowd, it was an awesome surprise for me since my dad had turned me onto those guys when I was young and I can rock out to them.

I like seeing all these great bands you all have witnessed live. Good times being had by all!

So... who keeps their ticket stubs and who actually has them on display? (I keep some, they're in a treasure box)

Xdisaster240sX
Car: S13 Hatch, R32 GTS4

Theres 2.

1) Scream it like you mean it tour feat: Silverstein and We Came As Romans
2) Moving Mountains opened for La Dispute and THRICE

Rush was also pretty awesome

macgiver

David Byrne "American Utopia" UofA Tuscon Apr 16 2018 :yesnod

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

The original Rock and Roll concert at the Brooklyn Paramount !

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Ace2cool wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 pm
My wife says Brittney Spears.
I like your wife...

For me I'd say Summer Sanitarium 2003. Headlined by Metallica. Had other bands like Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc. It seems odd that this would be my favorite as I don't even listen to this type of music much anymore, but damn... It was a great experience.

Return to “General Chat”