what is the best bolt on TT setup for a G35 with stock internals?

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Mr. Me Too
Car: 2005 infiniti G 35 coupe

Guys, I own a 2005 G35 and I would like to turbo charge it. I did a bit of research and found good reviews on the APS TT setup. If any one has good input on a different setup or knows about the APS TT setup, please could you please help out with some info.

Thankx

Nick240sx
Car: 2009 Ford Fusion SE Sport

Stillen has a few setups and they are a top name brand, good quality and products. is your G the 6mt or is it automatic? if its automatic stillen only has superchargers for it. if its 6mt there are only TT setups available. i was trying to decide what i want to do with my 6MT G35C this fall. thats what i have come across. ill have to take a look at the APS product.

ferman35
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35 6MT

Another advantage to the Stillen system is that it is installed by Infiniti dealers, and doesn't effect the warranty (according to the dealers). You can get it on a new G35 at delivery if you want.

Mr. Me Too

I got the G35 6mt. I have heard about the stillen warranty. Im not sure but I think the warranty is only for the stage 2 supercharger setup. I am not knocking on the supercharger setup, to be honest I've never seen a supercharged G35 other than on the computer, but I own an AE86 that was at one point supercharged with the SC14 with is the bigger supercharge that comes in the toyota previa, long story short I did not like to have to change the belt every other run.

And Nick I did a little bit of research on the APS TT setup and so far Im impress, but you know, with doing upgrades sometime it is best not to go for the first thing that jumps at you. check them out and if you dont mind, let me know what you think. thankx

Mr. Me Too

Although you can never go wrong with having the dealer do the install, I am not too proud to say that I am on a budget, so I am planning on doing the installation.

Nick240sx

oh im still looking around myself, so far ive come across the stillen setups. im actually glad you brought up the aps product ill have a look at it and let ya know what i think.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Stillen system is that it is installed by Infiniti dealers, and doesn't effect the warranty (according to the dealers).

Dealers have NOTHING TO DO with warranty -- that is between you and Nissan.

Stillen sells a warranty that protects you against their supplied equipment failure not your equipment [engine, tranny etc.].

BrianlG35C
Car: 03' 6MT G35C

I have the APS TT kit installed and the motor blew after 5K miles running 443whp @ 9psi. I'm shopping tuners right now and build options. I would recommend the kit for stock internals but only if you stay at 8psi or 380whp as now APS recommends...

APSRegistered User

It's always possible to tune the engine to a higher or lower power level, at APS we custom dyno tune every engine we'd never allow a stock TT engine to leave with over 380 whp. As I said previously, if the owner/tuner decide to tune for higher whp power then you have to accept the possibibility of a rod/piston failure, that's life with over 400 + whp with a VQ engine.

As I said previously, we at APS have twin turbocharged 42 Z cars (all produce around 370 to 380 whp on our dyno dynamics load based dyno, a genuine power gain of approx 165 whp over stock and to date we've never had a single engine problem, if you play hard with the stock engine (over 400 whp) there is going to be a number of engines that fail con rods/pistons imho

Peter__________________Air Power Systems

Mr. Me Too

sorry about your motor, Brian. you can only inprove from here, which is always a good thing. well, that just about seals the deal. thanx brian, obviously if you are recommending APS after a blown motor the product must be good, which is what keep reading. well, good luck with the new setup.. I got some odering to do....

BrianlG35C
Car: 03' 6MT G35C

Mr. Me Too wrote:sorry about your motor, Brian. you can only inprove from here, which is always a good thing. well, that just about seals the deal. thanx brian, obviously if you are recommending APS after a blown motor the product must be good, which is what keep reading. well, good luck with the new setup.. I got some odering to do....
Thanks for your sympathy. It will be a while before I begin building. Trying to get the funds together, shop different tuners and decide on the right package. Yes, the kit makes it a totally different car. Just be careful to keep the boost low and around 380whp. Don't be tempted to go higher or you'll be really increasing the risk of engine failure. Good luck and enjoy!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Q45tech wrote:Stillen sells a warranty that protects you against their supplied equipment failure not your equipment [engine, tranny etc.].
IIRC the optional warranty you can purchase covers the engine for 3 years/36,000 miles. Stillen's website implies the same, but of course, you'll have to refer to the actual warranty contract for details.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

The question one should ask is how much degradation in engine tranny and other power train component life will any power increase create!

Doubling the power may decrease lile from 300,000 miles to MINUTES!

Normally engineers use a 30% power reserve [derating] to allow up to 300,000 miles. [Make sure 95% achieve 100,000 miles with per spec maintenance [90 day oil changes].

6PSI is 20.7/14.7 = ~41% higher peak pressure and thus would decrease the engine life down to 50-100k depending upon the number of WOT applications. Total number of minutes at that pressure.

The tranny is rated [AT] 333 lb/ft so expect a decrease in the 100,000 shift life.

One cannot increase oem power by much and expect oem reliability.

Even NASCAR cannot double the engine power and get much over 3 hour engine life.

The trick to getting the best of both worlds is to decrease the max rpm as you increase boost. LOWER THE REDLINE by a third of the boost percent:

6psi boost =40% reduced redline by 14% [6900 down to 5950-6000rpm PEAK] and you can probably double engine life.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Wow, I've never really thought about reducing the redline after a boost application! Good advice Q45tech!

...now if I can just convince the wife that a 5k+dollar supercharger is "needed"...

Nick240sx

Q45tech wrote:The question one should ask is how much degradation in engine tranny and other power train component life will any power increase create!

Doubling the power may decrease lile from 300,000 miles to MINUTES!

Normally engineers use a 30% power reserve [derating] to allow up to 300,000 miles. [Make sure 95% achieve 100,000 miles with per spec maintenance [90 day oil changes].

6PSI is 20.7/14.7 = ~41% higher peak pressure and thus would decrease the engine life down to 50-100k depending upon the number of WOT applications. Total number of minutes at that pressure.

The tranny is rated [AT] 333 lb/ft so expect a decrease in the 100,000 shift life.

One cannot increase oem power by much and expect oem reliability.

Even NASCAR cannot double the engine power and get much over 3 hour engine life.

The trick to getting the best of both worlds is to decrease the max rpm as you increase boost. LOWER THE REDLINE by a third of the boost percent:

6psi boost =40% reduced redline by 14% [6900 down to 5950-6000rpm PEAK] and you can probably double engine life.
thanks for the info. now im guessing that this is on stock internals. what if you were to build up the internals and then boost it? would it have the same effect or would it give it better life.

G35Bender
Car: 2005 G35 Coupe

Nick240sx wrote:Stillen has a few setups and they are a top name brand, good quality and products. is your G the 6mt or is it automatic? if its automatic stillen only has superchargers for it. if its 6mt there are only TT setups available. i was trying to decide what i want to do with my 6MT G35C this fall. thats what i have come across. ill have to take a look at the APS product.
Not to start an argument or to say that this post is wrong but I do not understand how a car's transmision type would affect what kind of forced induction kit could be matted to a cars engine. A turbo charger cant tell the difference between automatic and manual transmisions. That makes absolutely no sense at all. The twin turbo kit can be installed just as well to an automatic as it can to a manual gear box. Also there is no such thing as a "bolt on" Turbo kit for any car unless the engine came with a turbo already on it.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”