What is the best anti-freeze for Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I am vaguely familiar with 2EH and DexCool being bad and ruining the plastics or seals. So what actual brands is okay to use in a Rogue? Is Peak lifetime or Zerex safe? Thanks :woot:

philipa_240sx

Use the OEM Nissan Long Life... (blue in color) from the dealer.

Lots of reasons why, I will try to dig up my old post on it.

philipa_240sx

philipa_240sx wrote:Japanese mfg's (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda) have been using different coolant additives than most domestics. The technology called P-OAT (phosphated organic acid technology) serves to protect the cooling system from corrosion and leaks. These Japanese coolants also do not contain any silicates or borates. Some say the P-OAT formulation is much better than some of the other types on the market.

You can only get this P-OAT type coolant from Nissan (and other Japanese makes), Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant, and recently Motorcraft (Ford) Specialty Green Engine Coolant. IMHO, the Japanese know what they are doing. Why skimp when you can spend a few bucks more and put the factory approved coolant in? If you don't want to pay the dealership for it, then just buy the Nissan coolant and have someone else change it.

philipa_240sx

The Nissan Long Life 'Green' coolant that came from the factory is #999MP-AF000P. Cost is about $18/gallon. I don't think it's premixed, so you will need to use de-ionized (or distilled) water.

Yes, this is expensive. But considering it only needs to be changed every 60,000mi, it's a minor expense.

One final note: The Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant is actually a P-OAT coolant used by Mazda. I guess even the Ford guys realized this coolant was a better option and hopped on the bandwagon.

philipa_240sx

casperfun wrote:Is Peak lifetime or Zerex safe?
If I had to choose, Zerex Asian Formula is the only one I would consider. It's pre-mixed BTW.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brand ... freeze/105

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

what about for the new 2015 rogue? what's the factory fill for it, and is zerex asian ok for topping off? what about peak blue or peak gold (global?)

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I'm curious about this too. I have a bottle of Zerex from my Toyota Highlander days that's red in color. Don't know if I can mix it up with the blue that's in the Nissan coolant tank.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

When you are talking about a 2015 Rogue, you should be using the OEM fluid. This is the fluid that was designed to work with the Rogue. It will take you many years to go through a jug of it.

Sure, you can use other fluids. But why bother? Your Rogue is not going to consume much (otherwise you have a bigger problem). And, if you are one of those people that gets the dealer to perform the oil changes, they typically include the top-up for you.

engineer20

can you use aisin blue or beck and arnley blue? beck and arnley also makes a red/pink that imitate Toyota red/pink, so i'm guessing their blue should be similar to the Nissan blue?

also, can you use OEM brand coolant they sell at pepboys? there's only one in my area, and they sell oem blue colored coolant too that's cheaper than dealership nisssan blue coolant

and zerex Asian would work? but would zerex Asian mix well with the blue or factory fill or do you need to do a full flush before adding the blue
and where is the coolant drain plug? on my Toyota camry, it's in a very good position not hard to access, is it hard to access in the rogue? the oil filter here is harder to access than on my Toyota and it's located on a flap on the side
what about the coolant drain plug?

engineer20

http://www.recochem.com/us/products/oem ... ezecoolant

Talking about this. So is Nissan coolant the same as Subaru coolant and Honda coolant? I know those coolants are also blue. So I can use zerex Asian, this aftermarket blue, as well as Beck and Arnley Blue (found at S and G import auto parts), but could I use Honda coolant from the Honda dealership or Subaru coolant from the Subaru dealer? Thanks.

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

engineer20 wrote:what about for the new 2015 rogue? what's the factory fill for it, and is zerex asian ok for topping off? what about peak blue or peak gold (global?)
According to the 2015 Rogue's owner manual (section 8: maintenance and do it yourself) the long life factory fill coolant is good for 7 years, or 105,000 miles. If it's necessary to add coolant the manual says use Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/coolant (blue or green) or equivalent.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

phjake wrote:
engineer20 wrote:what about for the new 2015 rogue? what's the factory fill for it, and is zerex asian ok for topping off? what about peak blue or peak gold (global?)
According to the 2015 Rogue's owner manual (section 8: maintenance and do it yourself) the long life factory fill coolant is good for 7 years, or 105,000 miles. If it's necessary to add coolant the manual says use Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/coolant (blue or green) or equivalent.
You should use the blue long life fluid. If you mix in the green it will reduce the life of the anti-freeze. All Rogues since mid 2009 ship with the Blue long life coolant.

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I have Zerex red fluid for Asian vehicles...still not sure if that mixes well with Subaru/Nissan blue, even though they're both rated for long-life.

engineer20

How do you drain and fill coolant on a 2015 rogue? I can't find the coolant drain plug, and do I have to remove the front plastic shield, or no?

Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I am getting ready to replace the water pump on my daughter's 2009 Rogue.

I found an article that says to use
"P-HOAT (Phosphated HOAT) Phosphates & Organic Acids ZEREX™ Asian Vehicle - Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, KIA & other Asian vehicles Color-PINK / BLUE"

I looked at O'Reily's and they have HOAT, but not P-HOAT. Does it matter?
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

All of the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda long life and super long life coolants are P-OAT coolants formulated by CCI
It's big to understand that color doesn't matter. While most Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolants are usually orange, yellow, red or purple, Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) coolants are orange and yellow. There's quite a bit of overlap. Then you have Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) coolants that are usually green, however, some manufacturers sell them in blue. At the end of the day, always be sure to read the bottle to confirm the type of coolant you're using. When looking for the right coolant for your 2018 Nissan Rogue, you need to always check your owner's manual.
Nissan Rogue 2008-2020 Owner's Manual / Maintenance and do-it-yourself / Engine cooling system
Prestone Regular or 50/50 is a silicate free OAT antifreeze. It uses phosphates to replace the silicates.

Ultimately it isn't the color but the composition that matters. It was confusing for a while, but since most of the industry went to OAT you can't go far wrong with any name brand off-the-shelf coolant. The US and Japan are on the same page in 2013.

"The dye color of antifreeze has nothing to do with antifreeze formula or performance. Chrysler’s G-05 contains orange dye to distinguish it from a yellow dye antifreeze previously used. Other users of G-05 have yellow or even blue dye. However, GM DexCool, a purely organic acid type, also has orange dye, and this has been a source of service industry confusion. Fiat’s OAT, although a different formula, also has orange dye and it has been used in early production of the Dodge Dart. The new Chrysler OAT, however, will have a purple dye."

It's far more important to use distilled water, which is less than a dollar per gallon and often overlooked in this discussion. Tap water contains minerals you don't want.

So what gives Prestone the confidence to state "all makes and models?" It contains phosphates, not silicates, so it is safe to use in a Japanese car's cooling system. It can also be used in any non-Japanese car as long as North American water is used! So to support its claim Prestone merely specifies that its coolant be used in North America! Simple.

Return to “Rogue Forum”