What is HICAS

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
240_optimist
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx

im still new to the 240 scene and im not experienced with cars even though i've had mine for a few months (only running for the first month) so i was wondering what are HICAS i see this all over NICO and i was wondering what it is?

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HICAS

HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Suspension) is Nissan's rear wheel steering system found on cars ranging from the more recent Skyline and Z iterations to smaller models like the 240SX/180SX. It is also found on models from Nissan's Infiniti division, such as the Q45 and the M45/M35. Unlike other four wheel steering systems, HICAS and Super HICAS is fitted to improve handling rather than as a parking aid.

Earlier HICAS versions used hydraulics to steer the rear wheels. The hydraulic system was powered by the power steering pump and used speed sensors to determine how much and which direction to steer the rear wheels. Later versions, called Super HICAS, moved to an electric actuator for the rear steering rack, making the system much lighter. The Super HICAS system also used its own computer to control the system insted of speed sensors. HICAS and Super HICAS rear wheel steering is limited to about 1 degree in either direction.

HICAS was introduced on the 1986 Skyline GTS coupes (GTS, GTS-R, and GTS-X). The system was later adaped to work on many models in the Nissan range, beginning with the Passage GT.Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HICAS"

Category: Automotive steering technologies

RB20DETodd
Car: Green 92 s13 coupe SE Rb20det

JeromeS13 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HICAS

HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Suspension) is Nissan's rear wheel steering system found on cars ranging from the more recent Skyline and Z iterations to smaller models like the 240SX/180SX. It is also found on models from Nissan's Infiniti division, such as the Q45 and the M45/M35. Unlike other four wheel steering systems, HICAS and Super HICAS is fitted to improve handling rather than as a parking aid.

Earlier HICAS versions used hydraulics to steer the rear wheels. The hydraulic system was powered by the power steering pump and used speed sensors to determine how much and which direction to steer the rear wheels. Later versions, called Super HICAS, moved to an electric actuator for the rear steering rack, making the system much lighter. The Super HICAS system also used its own computer to control the system insted of speed sensors. HICAS and Super HICAS rear wheel steering is limited to about 1 degree in either direction.

HICAS was introduced on the 1986 Skyline GTS coupes (GTS, GTS-R, and GTS-X). The system was later adaped to work on many models in the Nissan range, beginning with the Passage GT.Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HICAS"

Category: Automotive steering technologies
LIAR!!!

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

Hi Cas, is when Cassey gets stone off her ***, and starts filling drinking glasses full of hand soap.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

drink a lot water, or hold your breath, you'll eliminate it.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

oh wait, thats hiccups

justmerging
Car: 07 Versa SL w/CVT Cuz I'm lazy

lol!!!!!! that's hilarious

Hicas, as stated above, just steers the rear wheels ever so slightly to aid in handling. Every car does it differently but the end result is still the same. The hicas system on our cars essentially is a computer that takes you speed and sends a signal to a small motor to a rear power steering rack which in turn steers you rear wheels at certain speeds. The rear steering rack is powered by the power steering pump (makes sense don't it).

It's a love it or leave it type of thing. I personally like it but others absolutely despise it. It does take getting used to that's for sure. The biggest problem I find is people form their opinion of it without enough experience with it. You can't really appreciate it and drive it to it full potential after one or two runs. You need to learn the system and get a feel for it so you know what it is going to do.

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

hicas is a rear stearing functionand welcome to NICO, don't forget about the search button

shayrgob
Car: 95 240sx

have there been any objective tests on this? I would be very interested to see some type of test between a hicas equipped 240 and a non-hicas 240. would be interesting. I guess tehre are a LOT of variables involved so coming up w/ an accurate conclusion would be dificult.

~4N~

I know that auto-x people love it, and everybody else hates it.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”