What is equivalent to Nissan Power Steering Fluid

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mmartin110
Car: 06 M35 Florida

Took car to Infiniti dealer for warranty repair and they said the power steering and rear differential fluid should be replaced. I checked the power steering fluid and it is brown so I removed all of it from the reservoir. Old fluid was brown and did not look good but have never changed PS fluid in any car I have owned and never had a problem. I put in Valvoline clear PS fluid. I was not sure what the equivalent was, now I see its ATF Dex2 or 3. Could use Mobile synthetic. Question is does it really matter. The fluid is not clear anymore but brown, since the fluid in the lines mixed with what I changed. (car 06 M35 59Kmi) Thx

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

Get yourself 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or Redline D4 synthetic ATF.

BOTH are dexron 3 fluids. Get a turkey baster or better yet a "battery bulb" and suck out the PS res.and replace with the fresh ATF- do this drain/fill procedure after every time you drive the car until you go through the 2 quarts of fresh ATF {should be 7-10 procedures total to use up the 2 quarts}.....your fluid should then look like new and to maintain this level of freshness,repeat using 1 quart atf on an annual basis for as long as you own the car{pretty cheap and easy preventative maintenance to protect a multi thousand dollar rack/pump/lines system} . following the above procedure I currently have 271,000 miles on my original rack and pump on my q45,not bad for a yearly investment of $7-10 for a quart of full synthetic ATF

purchase 2 quarts of Mobil 1 or Redline full synthetic gear oil {$10-12 per quart} and bring to your local mechanic/shop for them to use for a drain/fill of differential {my tech charges me $20 labor to do procedure using my fluid while car is on the rack getting an oil change} repeat every 30,000 miles for optimum longevity of differential.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is what is used as power steering fluid? Maybe thats a retarded question, but I dont know a ton about all of the fluids, just basics about weight and how oil in the car works.

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

EniGmA1987 wrote:ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is what is used as power steering fluid? Maybe thats a retarded question, but I dont know a ton about all of the fluids, just basics about weight and how oil in the car works.
An interesting question. I just did an internet search and it appears that for most applications the two are about the same??!! It seems that the Mobil I ATF is the most quoted as the most all around solution to both ATF & PSF. But then both fluids are readily available. And so to sleep better at night why not get the specifically labeled stuff?

mmartin110

Ok Thx, I guess its not a short term critical problem (old PS fluid) but good idea for long term. I can crawl under and get the rear gear oil but you are right. Its way easier to have Mech do it when doing a oil change. That stuff will stink up your garage. I changed it on my boat and motorcycle and its nasty.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yes, ATF can be used in place of PSF because they are both Dexron III. Same fluid basically.

I ran AMSOIL ATF in my AT and my PSF on the Maxima without much issue. The only thing I did notice is that I did develop a slight leak after a while, but that might have just been my car and not the change in PSF.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

ATF is the same as Power Steering fluid.

However, and here is where my concern arises. For the AT, it is essential to use the Nissan Type J (or later, like Type S) fluids to avoid any damage and warranty issues.

For the Power Steering, it would be best to use the same Nissan fluid there too ... (for some reason, I seem to remember somebody mentioning that the PS reservoir and the ATF reservoir was shared in our cars ... but may be totally wrong about this!)

Need to look at the service manual (link is in my sig) to be certain.

Z

mmartin110

OMG.....Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF smells like gear oil. Its is horrible. Will not be using that nasty stuff..

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

qship96 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Get yourself 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or Redline D4 synthetic ATF.

BOTH are dexron 3 fluids. Get a turkey baster or better yet a "battery bulb" and suck out the PS res.and replace with the fresh ATF- do this drain/fill procedure after every time you drive the car until you go through the 2 quarts of fresh ATF {should be 7-10 procedures total to use up the 2 quarts}.....your fluid should then look like new and to maintain this level of freshness,repeat using 1 quart atf on an annual basis for as long as you own the car{pretty cheap and easy preventative maintenance to protect a multi thousand dollar rack/pump/lines system} . following the above procedure I currently have 271,000 miles on my original rack and pump on my q45,not bad for a yearly investment of $7-10 for a quart of full synthetic ATF

purchase 2 quarts of Mobil 1 or Redline full synthetic gear oil {$10-12 per quart} and bring to your local mechanic/shop for them to use for a drain/fill of differential {my tech charges me $20 labor to do procedure using my fluid while car is on the rack getting an oil change} repeat every 30,000 miles for optimum longevity of differential.
Qship nailed it - that's 100% accurate.

Let's not be worrying about what an automotive fluid smells like - that's certainly no indicator of its quality or appropriateness for the job. :)

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”