what is dictated by the auto trans?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
sclay115

i know in a car like the Q, mine is a 98, probably all the systems on the car work together, using input from the auto trans to tell other parts of the car something. does anyone know specifically what is on there that is required? example, if you weren't using the stock Q45 transmission, could you still have all the other systems on the car run properly?

steve

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

yes, you can run the car (at least on a G50) without the TCU. IT starts up, it does throw a code, but who cares...

I would guess it wouldnt work on an OBDII, but I say try it... See what it does, you wont hurt anything by starting the car without the TCU in..

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

The feedback of get ready, get set, shift then the progressive recovery of ignition advance after the shift occurs is necessary to avoid severe damage to the transmission.

Guess the engine could care less but ecu on cars with manual transmissions still have a sense [software] method to do this......rapid rpm decline when throttle lifted [not speed shifting].

The ecu gets a slip signal from tcu via the engine rpm vs the TC output shaft rpm vs speed sensor for tranny output.

Only those that have a successful manual conversion will be able to observe what the problems might be. [Yet to actually see one].

Same with upgrading to a 5-6 speed AT [none I know of] but at least the Nissan family now has a 5 AT to evaluate the signal line/lines from TCU to ECU and back to see the voltages/waveform changes and compare during shifts redline etc.

Generally why most swap engine, tranny, harnesses, ecu, and tcu as a complete unit then you only have to worry about interactions with dash electronics......other problems are the speed sensor signal which now comes from ABS/TCS, computer on more modern designs.

Nothing a few PHD in electronics cannot solve in a few man years of work.

Life has gotten so complicated with modern cars.

FarFetched
Car: Suzuki SV1000S.

I bet if you could swap a TH350 or such transm, it wouldn't be needing any inputs or outputs. I've done such swaps on OBDII Jeeps. I actually like TH350/700R4 (GM) trannies. I wish there was a way to swap one in Q45!Cheers!

sclay115

but could you feasibly get all the other things running with say a vg30dett swap, making it a....if i'm right, fhy33? i think that was it, i mean, no sense in having a luxury car if you can't have climate control/ cruise and such, anyone ever seen that swap done?

steve

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

It wont effect any of that other stuff I dont think

Like I said, start taking out major modules like the ECU and see what it does!! your not going to hurt it!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”