What I've learned with my 320 rebuild

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
kenbagby

I have disassembled the U 320 for paint. Noticed that the fly wheel had some ground teeth. No problem I though, Jacob has one for sale, Bought it and installed it. Sent the clutch off to Fort Wayne Clutch for a rebuild (they're fantastic) Got the clutch back tonight and decided it would be my project. Much to my suprise the clutch wouldn't line up. I got out the tape measure. Measuring across the alignment pins I got a measurement of 12 1/8 on mine and 11 5/8 on the new fly wheel. At that point I checked the starter mounting and found that the U had a larger starter. Any one have any ideas on this one. The black starter is the same as my NL but the red one is the one out of the U model. Anyone know what other modle this starter/flywheel came out of, 411?? 410??

matti

your red starter motor is the same as the one on my J15. The only thing is I'm not sure what flywheel and clutch I'm using. Sorry it's too late for me to go through the crap of unbolting the box and measuring the flywheel for you.

cheers

IMH

In my 320 manual, they list two clutches which they refer to as 'Clutch' and 'Clutch (new type)'.  The outer diameters of the disc facing is 184 mm and 200 mm respectively.  Their designs are somewhat different from each other as are the flywheel/starter that they use.  Here's a scan of the earlier one:

IMH

And one of the later one:

kenbagby

Stephen, You pictures show it's obvious I've got the older clutch in this vehicle. I guess I'll take my flywheel in and see if they can repair it Monday. It was a little disheartening because I wanted to build a repair supply for "just in case" when I get it running. I've contacted Jacob to see if he has the mounting plate that bolts to the rear of the engine and the clutch parts for the "new clutch". I'll also email Tana to see if she has anything. I'm planning on making the truck a daily driver but as you all know with the parts being so hard to find its best to be ready for anything. Thanks for the help on this folks. And another thing.... why the heck couldn't they figure out how to use the same brake parts for the front and rear... Well there's a topic for another day.

Also here's a heads up on Advance auto parts. Up until yesterday they listed front and rear brake shoes but not any more. They still list W/C rebuild kits for front and rear and a new front right wheel cylinder but I don't know how much longer that will last. They list them under the 411 model.

Return to “Datsun 320”