What happened to my cruise control?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
PongAtari

(89 240sx hatch)It worked fine for a long time.. about a week ago I tried to use it, and it just wouldn't come on, and still won't. All the other stuff mounted on that trim piece (headlights up/down, rear defogger, hazards) works, but just not the cruise control. Any idea what's wrong?

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

PongAtari,This is what I've been able to gather fr a Chilton's:Check the Servo and Release valves. They appear to be bolted one right on top of another. The 'actuator', which has the cable from the throttle body coming from one end, will have the vacuum hose at the bottom going to the Release valve. Needless to say, if the valves aren't releasing/engaging that would be easy to diagnose.I believe those two valves will lead you other things.Check them out by having someone help you set the C.C. while you check their operation. Good Luck, hope this helps-out.:thumbup :rockon

drjohn

If the cruise light comes on and the cruise won't set, check the clutch and or brake pedal cruise switches under the dash at the top of the pedals. They have little plastic grommets that break apart over a long period of time and the cruise cancel switches don't shut off if the grommets are gone. The controller thinks the clutch and or brake are on all the time and the cruise won't set. The grommets are 2-3 bucks each. If the brake switch grommet goes out the brake lights stay on all the time. Might be a good idea to replace them if this is the problem.

vududoc
Car: drag drift autox

id start at the switch..... there are 2 on the clutch pedal (asssuming its stick) the one you're looking at is on the bracket closer to you. the wires are twisted and i believe green. with the pedal not depressed make sure the switch is fully depressed by the clutch.

ive made this mistake with clutch pedal adjustments.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

If your car is old enough (mine is :( ), then you may have worn the contact from the wheel to the hub out too. Try turning the cruise on, then putting upward or downward pressure on the wheel while setting it. I have yet to find a fix for this, but at least i know what the problem is....

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Just to let you know, if u remove the steering wheel you will notice 3 small copper pins coming off the hub. These make contact with the backside of the steering wheel transmitting the electricity from the cruise switch to the ECU. They are spring loaded inside the black plastic housing, so they are replaceable. Havent done that yet, although i swapped 2 of them, now my cruise Set works perfect, just Cancel doesnt work like it used to (thats ok, i can just hit the brake or clutch).

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”