What gas mileage are you guys getting on your EX35?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

Hello all, my first post. There are some really good lease deals going on this month on the EX35's this month and I may take a look at one on Thursday. I was wondering what city and highway mileage I can expect from a AWD or a RWD model. I have a daily commute of 74 miles roundtrip and about 65 miles are highway. I would like to now how many miles can I get on full tank. I don't want to have fill up more than once a work week. I was looking at an 2009 Acura TSX but I think I want a v6 instead and will sacrifice some fuel economy to get it. Also when are the 2009 EX's coming in? Is there any changes in the new models? Should I wait? Thanks

aft981
Car: Infiniti EX35

Sounds like we have a pretty similar commute. I have an 80 mile roundtrip commute each day, about 60 of which is highway. Last week I wanted to see what my new EX could do, I filled up on the Sunday night and then had to fill up again on the Friday evening after I got home. I was driving pretty economically, cruising between 65-75 on the hwy the whole week, and not flooring it from stop lights etc. I did have a few lapses when I just got bored - the EX just begs to be driven quickly! I got 438 miles off the tank, and with even more careful driving I'm pretty sure I could have gotten another 20-40 miles.

However, this leads me onto a question of my own - admittedly the low fuel light had been on for maybe 20 miles by the time I filled up, but I know they always come on early and you generally have between 20-50 miles left in the tank (on my prior Murano when the light came on I knew I had about 40 miles left), but I filled up (in Jersey where they pump it for you), and the guy squeezed 20.19 gallons back in the tank. Errr, I'm pretty sure Infiniti says the tank is 20 gallons?! Did I just get ripped off with a faulty pump, or is the tank bigger than 20?

Anyway, to answer your question, basically I got 440 miles off the tank, the trip computer said I averaged 22.1mpg and if you work it out by what they squeezed in the tank then I averaged 21.8mpg. Thats with 300 miles of hwy and 140 miles of suburbia. I have the AWD model (which I think most are). And if it comes to the EX or TSX, I know which one I'd have!

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Typically, Infiniti builds more performance orientated car than economy car. The 300Hp engines in the EX and the aggressive gearing provide for a sporty car, if not the most economical car. My G gets about the same mileage I see reported for the EX. I can tell you this, the VQ engine responds real well to a 60mph speed. If you're even in a position where you need to stretch that last little bit of gas the extra mile, do it at 50 to 60 mph.

Other members in the G forum have reported slight gains in MPH by using synthetic oils. I'm not sure the cost of synthetic balances the gain in fuel economy, but it is an option. There is even a member there who swears by 87 octane, having used it for 60,000 miles with no problems. I'm not sure I would go that far, but an occasional tank along with very conservative driving would probably be okay.

If you are interested in the synthetic oil option, or the 87 octane option, you can search the G forums for the threads.

SprayTech
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 2004 Infiniti G35X

i am getting 23.2 mpg , and I travel 63 miles round trip , 5 days a week . some highway , but mostly city driving , but I use the cruise all the time , even at slow speeds . But Living in kansas , Its all flat ground too .

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

By the way sluday, welcome to the forum. Sorry I missed that the first time around. Hope you enjoy your stay here. Look around, there are several forums that are focused on other things, but this is the home of the EX.

Again, Welcome to Nico.

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

So it seems that the EX is better than the RDX in fuel economy. I have heard from RDX owners that they barely get 20 highway and this is a 4 cylinder turbo. It seems that the EX is much smoother and quieter than the RDX from what I hear on some forums. I was surprised to see that the ex gets a little less than a BMW 335xi which has about the same horses but a twin turbo. I guess weight has a lot to do with that.

Dodgeyaussie

sluday wrote:So it seems that the EX is better than the RDX in fuel economy. I have heard from RDX owners that they barely get 20 highway and this is a 4 cylinder turbo. It seems that the EX is much smoother and quieter than the RDX from what I hear on some forums. I was surprised to see that the ex gets a little less than a BMW 335xi which has about the same horses but a twin turbo. I guess weight has a lot to do with that.
The RDX has a much lower EPA MPG rating than the EX..

Check out http://www.fuelly.com to monitor fuel useage...

mike995134
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I'm seeing that the mileage for my EX is very close what I am getting with my G.

In all City (stop-and-go type driving) I am getting between 16-18 ... the last mpg display showed 16.8 ... and on a recent freeway trip (about 80% freeway,. 20% city streets) the diplay showed 23.8 and that was with the cruise control on and set at 70.

RCHarris
Car: '08 EX35 AWD Journey - loaded

Are you folks driving the same car as me?

My AWD EX35 has NEVER achieved even 20 mpg combined on a tank. The best I was able to squeeze out of my gas pig is 22 mpg on a 100% freeway run at 65 mph. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, it makes me smile. But gasoline mileage is a very, very sore subject with me.

At the 3700 mile service I complained to the service manager and everyone else I could find, that my car was averaging 16 or 17 mpg combined. He assured me that the number is totally consistent with other EX35 owners that he services. He said "the car is a performance car, the engine is a high performance engine and it was not designed for fuel economy". If you people are getting 20 plus mpg in your new EX35 you should be very pleased. Don't even get me started on the fact that it requires premium!!Randy

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

the only place where it says premium required is on the inside fuel door. the literature says premium recommended and you can use regular, just dont expect to get all of your power.

Mark Booth

Just filled up today and reset both of my fuel economy gauges. At reset, the one in the instrument cluster indicated 22.1 mpg. And, in fact, the last SEVEN fill ups have been 20 mpg or better.

And, yes, I do city driving. About 30% is city driving on average.

Mark

dude153
Car: Infiniti EX35

RCHarris,

I'm just through first 500 miles on my EX (love it) and was going through all kinds of experiments looking at tach/speed and fuel indicators. I drive mostly city and if I don't think about gas mileage, it clocks at around 16-17 MPG. However, I can do 21 in 100% city driving,I just have to work on it. I guess folks with 'light foot' can get close w/o constantly thinking about it, that's why we have some differences. Here is what I observed so far:Hills are bad. On a horizontal flat road, I can keep the speed at about 40MPG instant reading. If you have hills on your way, it goes dramatically lower.On top of that (I have hills since I live in Seattle area), I get 21 average in city driving as following: - Plan ahead. Look at cars in front of you and keep huge distance - this helps to prevent unnecessary breaking.- On acceleration (from red light etc), push it decisively so it goes into 3-4k RPM and keep it there until it reaches the speed you need (lets say 35MPH) plus 5 - then abruptly release the gas pedal and wait until tach drops to around 1300 rpm. Now you are in cruising mode - looking at the instant gas meter, keep you r foot on accelerator just so it eats 30-40MPG - it will maintain the speed. If you go downhill - don't break, get some additional speed to use on the other side when you go up. Estimate the distance before next stop (another red light etc) and completely remove foot from gas...On long stretches of city roads, I use laser-guided cruise control.Doing all this stuff I get 21 (or more) in city.

But not doing all this stuff and just switching off my gas indicators, I get 16 and lots of fun. So I find myself doing that more :-) What a fun car, it is so ready to please!

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Thanks for your detailed observations, dude153, and welcome to our little group!!

Cheers,David

rubystar88
Car: EX 35

Great observations Dude153.

I am a "light foot" and drive 100% city .I get roughly 18mpg with a/c running and 21 without.

Every once in awhile, I let EX go at her "natural pace" - she loves to fly!

"if I don't think about gas mileage, it clocks at around 16-17 MPG. However, I can do 21 in 100% city driving,I just have to work on it. I guess folks with 'light foot' can get close w/o constantly thinking about it, that's why we have some differences. "

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

OK, finally got around to having a close look at this.

I've now clocked just shy of 4200 km (about 2600 miles) and the instrument cluster is showing an average fuel economy of 12.4 l/100km, or just over 19.1 mpg (US gallons). I estimate that about 30% was city driving.

The period-to-period fuel economy function available from the touchscreen shows quite a variation - from about 10.7 l/100km (22 mpg) to about 13.2 l/100km (17.8 mpg).

I say about because (as I'm sure you've all discovered), exact readings are not available from that function. Results are only depicted as a bar graph and the best you can do is estimate. Would it really have cost Infiniti that much to build a complete function that saves/displays for each interval, the starting odometer reading, number of miles/kms travelled and the calculated economy value (or fuel amount used)?

Interestingly, I've achieved better fuel economy from 87 octane in my last 3 tankfuls than my first 4 or 5 fillups, using 91 octane. I realize this isn't enough data from which to draw any firm conclusions and I did anticipate better fuel economy as the engine components loosened up, but just the same, this was unexpected.

Cheers,David

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”