What exhaust are you running?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
2kredz3
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

I just got my hands on a stock exhaust from a frontier v6, i plan to fab it up with the header i got a few months ago. I am going for stock sound with improved flow.

what is everyone else running? i see most people have headers, but hard to tell what exhaust systems your running.

Nissan_Boy85
Car: 85 Nissan 720

Pacesetter header, Flowmaster V-Force muffler, stock catt that im fairly sure is acting as a cherry bomb.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i have the pacesetter header into 2" piping up to a maganaflow high flow cat... from the cat back it is 2.25" piping up to a magnaflow muffler... its all custom piping

it runs 85 decibels at autocross events tho... so louder than stock

i'll try to get an exhaust clip up sometime soon

2kredz3

PEZi303 wrote:i have the pacesetter header into 2" piping up to a maganaflow high flow cat... from the cat back it is 2.25" piping up to a magnaflow muffler... its all custom piping

it runs 85 decibels at autocross events tho... so louder than stock

i'll try to get an exhaust clip up sometime soon
do you know what the stock DB is? i might be okay with 85 DB but im not sure my boss would be.

i picked up that stock exhaust from the V6 truck, sigh its the same as what i have + a ressonator.

PEZi

no idea what stock is... but to give you an idea with the bimmer 2.5l engine... my buddy's 325i is running 77 DB with the catless euro headers... and that's about twice the actual sound the car had when the stock headers were on

our club's E30 325i has no muffler and is at 83DB

2kredz3

PEZi303 wrote:no idea what stock is... but to give you an idea with the bimmer 2.5l engine... my buddy's 325i is running 77 DB with the catless euro headers... and that's about twice the actual sound the car had when the stock headers were on

our club's E30 325i has no muffler and is at 83DB
yeah i would say that 85db is to loud then.

2kredz3

Ened up going with a full length header and 2.5" exhaust going to a thrush fully welded muffler.

PEZi

*UPDATE*!!!!!!!

i now have a 'frankenstein' exhaust... but i love it and it worked fantastic at today autocross!

it starts with the pacesetter header (now ceramic coated) and uses the 2" piping that pacesetter gives you for the pre-cat section. from there i have a new 2.25" test pipe... into another 2.25" section after the flange. a 2.5" pipe is now welded over the end of this 2.25" section and then over the entrance to the resonator... there is no piping after the resonator... it is simply angled slightly down right before axle so the gases go out the back

.... oh yeah..... its loud!

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Right now bone stock. But after the engine swap I intend to run local built 2.5 custom system by Imraj Brothers. Sourced a Z20 turbocharged engine with automatic transmission for $900, with spare parts. completed the rebuild of the Z22 5fwd to install with the engine. Will post pics of before and after the swap soon.

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

I would dare say that mine is original. I plan on going to a hollowed out cat (test pipe), and then just re doing everything from there back with a simple resonator I pick up from the parts store and a touch larger pipes than are there already. I am not looking to significantly alter the truck, however a bit more air flow might give me a touch more power (never bad). I want it kind of stock. Also, this is what I have decided on after these folks gave me advice. Sounded great.

2kredz3

Supererogator wrote:I would dare say that mine is original. I plan on going to a hollowed out cat (test pipe), and then just re doing everything from there back with a simple resonator I pick up from the parts store and a touch larger pipes than are there already. I am not looking to significantly alter the truck, however a bit more air flow might give me a touch more power (never bad). I want it kind of stock. Also, this is what I have decided on after these folks gave me advice. Sounded great.
you could pick up the thrush fully welded muffler from autozone, rather then just the resonator (i think that will be louder then you will like if you want it mostly stock)

PEZi

i used to have a thrush glasspack... it was ok but i had more power with the resonator... enough to feel actually

2kredz3

PEZi720 wrote:i used to have a thrush glasspack... it was ok but i had more power with the resonator... enough to feel actually
i agree the glass pack is no good, but they just released this fully welded 2 chamber muffler which is what i got

Return to “Datsun 720”