what else for front suspension/handling

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Pubydingus
Car: 1981 datsun 720

I'm going to be replacing ball joints up front. Any reconmendations on what else I should replace while I'm under there... new struts too.. I'm going to be lowering with torsions and blocks and will be getting an alignment.. I know the 30yr old s*** under there is worn out so I'm trying to stiffen everything back up.. feel free to make a list of everything you can think of. Its a project in the making ill be posting picks soon

dayid
Car: 1986 720

Be sure to check (and replace, pending condition)
Shocks
Shock bushings
Strut rod bushings
Idler arm bushings

Pubydingus

ok thank you. I was also thinking i should get:
*inner and out tie rod ends.
*front satabilizer bar link w/bushings and hardware
*front sway bar link kit w/bushings and hardware

1)aslo should i get adjustable fornt strut/shock since im going to be lowering with torisons?

when its all said and done i will have new
Ball joints
shocks/struts
inner/outter tie rod ends
sway bar links w/bushings
stabilizer links w/busihngs
upper/lower control arm bushings
idler arm bushings
strut rod bushings
Center link
if there is anything else that would help the front end handling and suspension better fill me in?
Last edited by Pubydingus on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodbutcher5691
Car: 85 720 2wd 5sp.
3- 280zx's

Might as well get the center link as well. I replaced my shocks a month ago and found that I'm going to do the same thing as you + a center link.
That mother should handle like a new one then. :naughty: ('xcept the lowering part), I'm getting older and it's comfortable to get in and out of as it is. :squint:

Pubydingus

I just need to figure out what shocks im going to be ordering and if they need to be adjustable or not. can anyone please tell me or give me some advice on a good set of shocks to get for front and rear that work best with lowering your datsun thankyou. and im just going with the tie rod bushings not the tie rods themselves. The rear end is next going to get shocks and new bushings all the way around.I will pretty much be copying PEZi's suspension rebuild from the the DIY thread. From there body work and paint, wheels and tires, intieor, motor work, idk if in that particular order but its about to be a bad a** little truck ill be posting pictutres and keeping everyone updated on the build! :naughty: oh ya and the center link too thank you for telling me that

Pubydingus

Another couple question. 1)Are stabilizer bars and swaybars the same? 2) where can i find a good lowering block kit? yes ive read the DIY where it says to go to local parts store for blocks but its somewhat unclear on how to get the U bolts? Also it seems on this forum 90% of people just read and dont really like to help. Hopefully someone is nice enough to help me out. That is what forums are for correct. No offense but this forum seems to be lacking the helpful part. Everyone likes to look but not that many ppl like to help. I have just noticed by the amount of views on most ppls post but the very few responses. Lets help each other come on guys! :crazy: Im not saying this forum sucks casue there is a lot of helpful info on here and there are helpful ppl but I seem to notice theres a lot more unhelpful ppl than ones willing to help

woodbutcher5691
Car: 85 720 2wd 5sp.
3- 280zx's

Ah man, don't sweat it.
There isn't a lot of traffic here now because summer is winding down and guys are trying to get their rides wrapped up enough for the winter. (at least I am and assuming everybody else is doing the same). So that doesn't leave much time to yak on the 'net. Have you checked out ratsun.net? There is a little more traffic over there.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Stabilizer/sway bar= same thing. You just snatch the blocks from a parts store, and most kits come with U bolts. If the U bolts don't fit with the kit you buy, which most don't for these trucks, you just swing by a spring shop for trucks and buses and whatnot. Takes less than 5 minutes for them to make those things.

Pubydingus

Just an update on the full front suspension rebuilt. I will be getting

1) Idler Arms (Beck/Arnley) You can always just get the bushings to save $
2) Control Arm Bushing set upper/lower (Energy Suspension)
3) Front Sway Bar w/ Endlinks and Mounting Bushings (ADDCO)
4) Center Link (Ingalls Engineering)
5) Tie Rod Ends (Energy Suspension)
6) Tie Rod Sleeves (Proforged Chassis Parts)
7) Strut/Tension Arm Bushings (Moog)
8) Front and Rear Shocks (Pro Comp Toxic) For lowered Applications
9) Upper and Lower Ball Joints (ebay)
10) 3 inch Lowering blocks and U Bolts
11) Leaf Spring Bushings and shackle Set (Prothane Motion Control)

I was thinking Torsion arm bushings too but i cant find them?

All parts found at http://www.summitracing.com besides the Center Link which i found at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com wich also has all the parts
Last edited by Pubydingus on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pubydingus

Ok this should be final update lol... if anyone here even cares... I personally think it would be a helpful thread to someone rebuilding/restoring front suspension. More research and searching led me to finding out my truck did not come with a sway bar :( which is not very uncommon on my year truck (81).

So on the list above in my last post #3 sway bar bushing kit will obviously need to be purchased along with a sway bar and luckily I found ADDCO makes front and rear sway bars specificaly for my truck. Well its says 80-81 Datsun Pick up but my new thread "Sway bar confusion over!" will explain. ill add #11) tension rod or strut rod bushings. I think I've seen both names but they are the bars that connect at the bottom of the lower control arm and come forward and attach underneath the front bumper. Also I'm just going to be replacing idler arms all together a little more expensive than just the bushings but oh well. There might be a number 12 but idk if the torsion bars have bushings or not do they? And if anyone wants to add anything go for it. I also found some of this stuff cheaper on http://www.rockauto.com they got a lot of stuff for these trucks at good prices. :chuckle:

thestrange
Car: 82 720

Iv always liked rockauto. I have recently bought a 82 720 that's lowered, and after a good tune up will be replacing alot of the suspension parts. Post your results, as I am curious of the handling and ride comfort outcome.

Pubydingus

Just the last update (I Hope) to my list

FRONT: Lowered via torsions
1. Upper and lower ball joints (ebay)
2. Upper and lower control arm bushings (energy suspension)
3. Tie rod end dust boots (energy suspension)
4. Tie rod adjustment sleeves (Moog)
5. Center link (Moog-problem solver)
6. Idler arm (Moog-problem solver)
7. Strut/Tension arm bushings (energy suspension )
8. Pro comp toxic shocks part # 413518
And for 9. Sway bar w/ mounting bushings and end links when I get some extra $ (Addco)

REAR: Lowered via 3 inch blocks
1. Leaf spring and shackle bushing kit (energy or prothane motion)
2. Pro comp shocks part # 418520
3. Lowering Blocks 3" (pep boys parts store)
And 4. Rear sway bar w/ bushings when I get the front one (Addco)

Just a few things left to order then I can start putting it all together. I will take pictures and more than likely do a step by step of all the work as I go. I'm excited to get the results. I'm sure I will feel a huge difference since its all getting done at once and not a part here and a part there sort of thing. And it will be taken to get an alignment as soon as the last bolt is tightened.

Pubydingus

I guess not done updating... for the front I'm just gonna get new tie rods

10. Inner and outer tie rods

85Kansas720
Car: 2WD 1985 Nissan 720 King Cab

Hey Puby, it looks like we are doing a lot of same things. My to do list is quite similar:
1. Ball joints
2. Front Shocks
3. Center link
4. Sway Bar links and bushings
5. Inner and outer tie rods and sleeves
6. Tension rod bushings

Although I have not tackled a task of this magnitude before, I have 10 years of aerospace assembly experience and have a pretty solid skill set when it comes to things of this nature. I'm hoping to be able to get this done within a week and began the tear down a couple of nights ago. So far I've gotten the ball joints/ knuckle out along with the tension rods and bushings. I unbolted the center link to take it out but am having some clearance issues getting the bolts to clear the steering gear and idler arm. It seems I need another 1/4" or so to pull the cross rod out. Thinking the sway bar may be in the way, I took the brackets off and was able to rotate the sway bar down but still wasn't able to get the cross bar to clear. I really wasn't wanting to take out the pitman and idler arm to do so. Am I missing something?

85Kansas720
Car: 2WD 1985 Nissan 720 King Cab

Got the center link off. Had to take off the idler arm.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

If you can give a detailed write up of what you did and maybe snag a few pics, this would make an awesome addition to out how-to section!

shakercrouch
Car: 1981 Datsun 720
1987 Chevy C10

Just came across your thread and thought I`d say it was helpful to me. Cheers

Return to “Datsun 720”