What does this unconnected part do? Hmmm

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
ManzanoNissan
Car: 1991 Nissan D21 4x4

1991 D21 4x4. Restoring this beast, what an adventure so far.
I'm in the engine bay and replacing filters, belts, spark plugs etc and find this part that looks like it connects under the manifold shield. Green wire no longer connected.
Thinking I can do a solder and taping but it would be good to know what this was for.

https://imgur.com/a/0BXNgf1

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

That is your O2 sensor wire. A single wire 02 sensor. It's been a long time since I've seen one of these. Solder and heat shrink tubing should get it functional again if the sensor is still good. Nissan original (22690-06F00) is crazy expensive at around $200. Bosch 11051 is a good quality O2 sensor replacement at around $25.

ManzanoNissan

Figured as much.

This truck has no power. Terrible acceleration, terrible gas mileage and I lose power going up steep hills, having to drop to 4th with the pedal to the floor and will lose speed.
I've changed out the air filter, gas filter, spark plugs, wires (cap was good shape), belts and still no discernable noticeable difference.
I'm about to change out the coil now but this seems a likely culprit as well. Thanks!

ManzanoNissan

For anyone following along, the O2 sensor isn't a 'slap in' job I thought it would be. To get the manifold heat shield away for you to get a wrench on the sensor, you have to detach a chrome section of exhaust that sits right along side the plate. Because the plate has a hole for the sensor to fit through, you're kind of locked in if you don't remove that pipe section from the exhaust. Will have to wait a couple days before I can change that part out.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

ManzanoNissan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:33 pm
For anyone following along, the O2 sensor isn't a 'slap in' job I thought it would be. To get the manifold heat shield away for you to get a wrench on the sensor, you have to detach a chrome section of exhaust that sits right along side the plate. Because the plate has a hole for the sensor to fit through, you're kind of locked in if you don't remove that pipe section from the exhaust. Will have to wait a couple days before I can change that part out.
Actually this should be simpler than you think. There is no need to remove heat shields or pipes. You need an O2 sensor socket for a 3/8" or 1/2" drive ratchet wrench in order to remove that O2 sensor. Pick one up at any automotive parts store or an online retailer like Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-8-Inch ... 01MXPT0EC/
It fits right over the sensor and slips in past the heat shield while the wire sticks out the side of the socket.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

mdmellott wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:52 pm
Actually this should be simpler than you think. There is no need to remove heat shields or pipes. You need an O2 sensor socket for a 3/8" or 1/2" drive ratchet wrench in order to remove that O2 sensor. Pick one up at any automotive parts store or an online retailer like Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-8-Inch ... 01MXPT0EC/
It fits right over the sensor and slips in past the heat shield while the wire sticks out the side of the socket.
+1. If it's stuck or rusted and the torque is spreading the special socket, have a worm-drive radiator clamp handy to lock up around the base of the socket. That will allow you to use a cheater without rounding the hex body of the sensor.

ManzanoNissan

mdmellott you rock.
VStar650CL you always rock.

Thank you both, saved me some grief for sure.

ManzanoNissan

As it turns out the O2 is stuck in place solid and yes the socket is spreading. I tried twice and stopped and let a couple days of penetrating fluid work in. I'll grab some worm clamps while in the city and try again on the weekend.

ManzanoNissan

Nice tip VStar. I couldn't get to the job for about a week so I took the time to use Blaster penetrating hitting it everyday and making runs a couple times so by yesterday it popped right off. The worm clamp around the end of the socket also a great idea, this socket didn't seem to be snug to begin with.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ManzanoNissan wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:42 am
Nice tip VStar. I couldn't get to the job for about a week so I took the time to use Blaster penetrating hitting it everyday and making runs a couple times so by yesterday it popped right off. The worm clamp around the end of the socket also a great idea, this socket didn't seem to be snug to begin with.
Glad to hear you got it moving! It isn't looseness in the socket as much as limited torque. Those slotted sockets are rarely sturdy enough to take much without spreading, and the ones that are tend to be impact types that are often too thick-walled for many applications. If you can't cut the wire and use a box wrench, then reinforcing the socket with a clamp is the next-best thing.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”