What does steel ammo damage?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
PoorManQ45

Just wondering what exactly gets damaged by using steel cased ammo like wolf.

Thanks

bobotech

Wolf is not steel core ammo.

Wolf is steel jacketed and can attact a magnet. Indoor ranges just freak out because steel core ammo can damage the traps. Its just easier for them to ban any ammo that has steel in the bullets even though steel jackets usually aren't more damaging than copper jackets.

True steel core ammo is like the 5.45x39 stuff that is currently in the country (you can import rifle ammo that is steel core but not pistol ammo).

The last steel core AK ammo was the chinese stuff that was last imported in the early 90s.

But in reality, nothing should get MORE damaged by steel jacketed ammo like Wolf than just plain copper jackets.

PoorManQ45

Sweet. So now I can buy cheapo wolf .223 for my break open

We shoot at an outdoor range

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

eh...people claim it's harder on extractors.

there's a few guns that just won't feed the stuff reliably though.

PoorManQ45

Talked to a few local gun stores.

They claim it's hard on the chamber because it doesn't conform to the imperfections like brass does.

Any info on this?

bobotech

Its mild steel. Its not hardened steel like a knife blade.

I even have reloaded some boxer primed steel case Wolf 45acp. Loads fine.

It is a little harder on the extractor of an AR but extractors are dirt cheap, far cheaper than the difference in price between brass 223 and steel 223.

PoorManQ45

Also, what about the waxy coating that is usually on steel casings?

This is going in a single shot so I don't think it'll make a difference. I'm just wondering.

Thanks for the help

Logan76
Car: Junk

I'm just spitballing here, but common sense tells me that steel rusts and would need some form of prevention, whereas copper does not? Maybe that is the waxy coating your feeling.

bobotech

Logan76 wrote:I'm just spitballing here, but common sense tells me that steel rusts and would need some form of prevention, whereas copper does not? Maybe that is the waxy coating your feeling.
I believe it a polymer coating and partially just for that (rust prevention).

PoorManQ45

Will this jam up the receiver on an AR?

I don't think it'll be a problem on a break open, but on an AR you can burn through alot of rounds, fast

Mr1der

I'd be more worried about the dirt from it fouling up an AR than the casing.

god I hate AR's...

bobotech

Mr1der wrote:
god I hate AR's...
I love my AR. It looks pretty.

I love to shoot my AKs though!

PoorManQ45

I meant assault rifle. Sorry for the confusion

No armalite, although they are pretty

Mr1der

ehhh...the SIG 552 is a much better looking rifle.

no goofy carry handle.

the SCAR L is kinda silly with the buttstock.

the AR is an ok rifle....I'm just not a fan of the overall design.

4cefed
Car: 92 240SX Coupe
03 SRT-4
Various Dodge POSs

bobotech wrote:Wolf is not steel core ammo.

Wolf is steel jacketed and can attact a magnet. Indoor ranges just freak out because steel core ammo can damage the traps. Its just easier for them to ban any ammo that has steel in the bullets even though steel jackets usually aren't more damaging than copper jackets.

True steel core ammo is like the 5.45x39 stuff that is currently in the country (you can import rifle ammo that is steel core but not pistol ammo).

The last steel core AK ammo was the chinese stuff that was last imported in the early 90s.

But in reality, nothing should get MORE damaged by steel jacketed ammo like Wolf than just plain copper jackets.
WTF are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure the OP was questioning the STEEL CASE, not the projectile.

While there have been actual steel jacketed bullets, they are plated in copper. How many rounds would you get out of a barrel shooting steel on steel? Wolf ammo is a steel case and some variation of a FMJ COPPER JACKETED round. Different weights and some may be hollow points. And steel CORE ammo is still available if you want to pay the price. For 5.56mm look for "SS109" I bought some Olympic stuff a few years ago and they make nice holes in things. You are right about the ranges not wanting the steel core stuff, the traps take a beating.

Steel cases are supposedly rougher on the extractor, (which has been mentioned,) and more importantly on the chamber. That polymer coating has a few uses. I'm sure it's used as a rust inhibitor, but it is also meant to seal the primer and bullet ends for waterproofing, and it lets the case slide into the chamber easier. The problem with the coating seems to be after firing a lot of rounds, there seems to be red dust all over the breech. Some claim this will eventually lead to jams. I've put a couple hundred rounds through my mini-14 without a problem. Should be OK for a single shot.

Oh, here's a good page:

http://www.firearmsid.com/Bullets/bullet1.htm

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

The problem is the gun wasn't designed for steel cased ammo in long term usage.

It's going to cause a built up in the chamber of the lacquer, so if you don't clean your rifle properly you can slowly close the chamber off and that can cause feeding, extracting, and in some rare cases over pressurization problems.

The lacquer also builds up under the extractor and if not cleaned this can cause the extractor to fail to do it's job or get sheared off.

The steel case ammo is also prone to bullet setback since the "crimp" is non-existant. If it feeds and sets-back it can blow the case and that will blow down through the magazine and swell the lower. In rare cases it can detonate the entire upper.

I've also seen overcharged steel case ammo in rather high amounts as well as squibs and underloaded ammo.

It's cheap junk ammo and I do not run it.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”