what do you use to controll your electric fan???

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

so since im doing an radiator upgrade, fan upgrade, and installing a water temp gauge, im going to finally suck it up and get and automatic fan controller finally. ive been controlling my fan manually with a switch inside the cabin which im going to be happy to get ride of. anyways, which setup do you have to controll your electric fan? what would u guys recommend? so far im leaning towards a spal fan controller like this one http://www.jaycorptech.com/sho...d=155

is $70 a good price for one? i like that one because I can just splice it into the sensor thats already there.

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

I think I've got some blitz something or other. It has 2 individual fan controls and a "both on no matter what" button. Just bought it used from somebody, but I think flexilite sells one you can stick into the rad. if you want. Not as fancy, but cheap.

oneslow240se
Car: 91 240se

why not just use a thermo switch? you can pick them up at pretty much any parts store... i'm currently using 2 thermo switches.. one is adjustable and set at around 160 and the other is non-adjustable at around 180 ... I'm using 2 switches just incase one malfuncitons ..mines wired to stay on till the temp drops below the settings after car is shut off.. both can control 2 fans.. i spent maybe $70 total for both.

Bwana
Car: Denali

DIF Dual Fan Controller

Buy it, but not from them cause you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I love mine and highly recommend them.

Acecool
Car: 1989 240SX Hatch Pig KA24E 126k

Lol...

I had mine wired up with the lower radiator hose temp sensor, and had the fans running when the car was on..

I snipped the wire that turned them on when the car was on.. and just left the temp sensor constant power going to them, and they work AWESOME with just that....

turns on and off whenever the engine needs it whether or not the car is on or off...

HxC_Nismo
Car: 98' Nissan 240sx SE R33 RB26DET, 07' Nissan Titan SE, 05' Toyota Corolla

+1 on the dif fan controller ive been using mine ever since and never had any issues with mine. you can get em from http://www.phase2motortrend.com

Joe

i use the kickass painless panel

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

^ show off

Joe

hehe 0=)

BoostFab

on my last car i used this Flex-a-Lite 31147 adjustable radiator fan controller. it's not fancy, but it's wire up the dual fan with a relay ; works reliably. ,[more info]

Warped161
Car: 90 s13 the never ending project

i'm going to install that flex a lite kit on my fans, where did you put the thermal sensor?

Bwana
Car: Denali

One thing I really like about the DIF unit is that it uses the ECU temp sensor making it very accurate.

BoostFab

Warped161 wrote:i'm going to install that flex a lite kit on my fans, where did you put the thermal sensor?
in the radiator (top) return hose; there are instructions in the flex-a-lite kit.

s14_sport

I had both of the above eFan controllers.

The DiF and the flex-a-lite ones. The DiF is cleaner, nicer and more accurate. The flex-a-lite definately worked reliably too, but, was tougher to make the engine bay as clean. go DiF!

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

For all the plugs I've given dakota digital, they should be sending me a big fat check.

I checked out what they would have for a fan controller and they have one that is pretty much like the dif unit except it has a digital temp display and it is only $100 plus $10 if you don't want to use your stock ECU temp sensor plus $10 for a relay to run dual fans. I think I'm just going to spend the $100 and supply the signal to the unit from the ECU temp sensor and supply my own relay for the second fan.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/i...3.htm

BoostFab

as for digital fan controller; i like the SPAL Fan Controller better. it's custom programmable fan controller allows cooling fan to vary speed based on engine temperature thereby increasing fan life while decreasing under hood noise. The FAN-PWM also utilizes the OEM water temperature sensor eliminating the need for a second sensor.

the only downside is it doesn't have the temp readout lcd

not bad $69.95

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

Does the SPAL allow you to run two fans at once and control the speed of both? And is the speed continuously variable or is it high/low speed based on engine temp? Sounds like a pretty good deal for only $70.

The dakota digital can run one dual speed fan or two fans at a single speed.

240wootie
Car: 1989 rb20 coupe, 2002 WRX

Kamin wrote:i use the kickass painless panel

Holy Freakin Crap! looks like you have 3 cowbells hanging where you stereo should be! that is pretty sweet

ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

BoostsFed wrote:as for digital fan controller; i like the SPAL Fan Controller better. it's custom programmable fan controller allows cooling fan to vary speed based on engine temperature thereby increasing fan life while decreasing under hood noise. The FAN-PWM also utilizes the OEM water temperature sensor eliminating the need for a second sensor.

the only downside is it doesn't have the temp readout lcd

not bad $69.95
this is the one I am most likely going to get. Most the other ones are $100+ this one is right in my price range, plus I already have an aftermarket water temp gauge. and no offense but i dont want my interior looking anything close to Kamin's, im going for a sleek/sleeper/stock look, so not having another display works for me.

BoostFab

Darius wrote:Does the SPAL allow you to run two fans at once and control the speed of both? And is the speed continuously variable or is it high/low speed based on engine temp? Sounds like a pretty good deal for only $70.

The dakota digital can run one dual speed fan or two fans at a single speed.
it will controll more than one fans, but only one will be variable speed functionality. you still program what ever the temp the fans come on, at your will. that's still great for the price. I like this unit better than the DIF, in price and in the variable speed feature.

look at the manual and wiring diagram if you want to see it before getting one; http://www.slickcar.com/manuals/fan-pwm.pdf

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

the hks or pivot units are nice...

Sky80
Car: '92 240sx Fastback

The best fan controller that I know of TO DATE would be:

BoostFab

Sky80 wrote:The best fan controller that I know of TO DATE would be:

dude you're retarded, this topic is about a standalone fan controller ; not an engine management system that is $1500. back on topic.

the Pivot unit is nice if you want the all in one temp readout led

Cpt_Impossible
Car: G35 6MT

HKS Fan Controller

Looks good, digital readout, small, and uses factory ecu temp sensor so no modifications required.

Sky80
Car: '92 240sx Fastback

BoostsFed wrote:dude you're retarded, this topic is about a standalone fan controller ; not an engine management system that is $1500. back on topic.

the Pivot unit is nice if you want the all in one temp readout led
LOL, reading OWNS JU! last time i looked the title of the thread was "What do you use to controll your electric fan???"

And then if you READ (<-- yes i know thats the part that slows you down) the rest of the original post, it says nothing in it about standalone fan controller... so anyways, back on topic and...

AEM FTMFW

Kansei240sx
Car: S13 - RB25 Circuit car
71 240z - street/track day car
AE86 - Daily Drizzle/track day car
Z31t - Paper weight/street car

BoostsFed wrote:on my last car i used this Flex-a-Lite 31147 adjustable radiator fan controller. it's not fancy, but it's wire up the dual fan with a relay ; works reliably. ,[more info]
**** YEAH!!! Its cheap, and it works damn awesome. I love these things, i;ve used them on countless peoples cars with no problems. Cant beat it for the price and time it takes to install which is about 15 minutes.

Bronze MFP
Car: 1987 300zx w/digital dash radness

I ran the DIF controller as well and loved it. started off with a FAL controller and it was ok minus the defective power wire that melted and could have set the car on fire.the dif is just a good, easy to install, easy to setup unit. match it with some SPAL fans and you'd have a pretty rock solid cooling fan solution.

kouki-gymkhana
Car: 1993 240sx (only 90,000 mi!)

Hmm, I might have to pick up one of the DEF units this week. My FAL fan controller gave up the ghost this past weekend and almost caused my car to overheat. It's such a piece of crap...I've only had it for 2 years and the car has only covered about 500 miles in that time frame. No more FAL crap for me. Anyone have any personal experience with the HKS or Pivot controllers?

PS: I drove my car this weekend for the 1st time in 7months (I've been away) and I must say that I've fallen back in love with it!

-kg

fayceoff

4 bucks worth of toggle switches and 14 gauge wire....

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

I'm debating between the DiF and SPAL controllers. What fans are everyone running? Due to space constraints, I am forced to use Pusher fans. I was debating between a single 14 or 16" fan or dual 12". (or Altima e-fans)

I'm interested in everyone's opinions...
Bronze MFP wrote:The DiF is just a good, easy to install, easy to setup unit. match it with some SPAL fans and you'd have a pretty rock solid cooling fan solution.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”