What do you feel is the most comfortable speed City/hwy?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

I’m asking because I’m tired of people cutting me off and passing me all the time. Granted, I live in a country a** state right now and everyone thinks if they have a truck or suv they own the road. But more than once (maybe once a week), I’ve had to show rude drivers I’m not some grandma behind the wheel and can go from 50 to 100 real quick. And considering I’ve got worn valve seals, I can make an extra spectacle when I’m peeling out and leaving everyone in a fog of blue soot lol.

But at the same time, I don’t like to get in the habit of abusing my drivetrain. Lately I’ve just been letting the f*** pass or race by at will. I feel I get the best economy and handling between 65 and 70 mph. I do feel a smooth cruise at 85-90 as well, but it sucks down gas and I feel the overall stability is lowered.

It’s just so annoying how people drive nowadays. I understand newer cars can maintain and reach speed faster and without much effort. But I almost feel like people seem annoyed at me for driving the speed limit give or take. What really irritates me is when someone passes and jumps right in front of me. I’ve already had a perfectly good windshield get cracked and speckled with rock chips over the past 2 years, so I make sure anytime someone does that, I either flash beams or speed up and cut them right back off. Bastards.

But anyhow, idk if it’s just my driving style, or the fact it does take a lot of energy to move this car. It’s a bit more nimble when empty, but when I’m carrying 75-100 pounds of luggage, it feels even more heavy.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Why do you care if people pass you? Are you harmed? How do you know what "everyone thinks"?

You're projecting - look it up. You can't assume "annoyance" from inside a car. That's bordering on mental illness.

"It’s just so annoying how people drive nowadays." Are you a grandmother? Your sample size is incredibly limited, both geographically and statistically. It's a silly, overly-broad statement.

Here's the biggest concern: You speed up and cut someone off because you're afraid of a windshield chip on a $1000 car?

You need to stay off the road. You're the problem - people get shot for acting like that.

Other drivers aren't the problem. Your inexperience and flawed thinking is the issue. Chill out and drive. You've not been harmed.

Better yet, go get some track experience and enroll in a HPDE course or three.

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

In the same vein of speed...

I've noticed on my 99 that the speed reading is about one to two miles slower than the speedometer is saying, according to GPS and traffic radar. Is that something that can be adjusted in the computer?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Not likely. Are your tires the correct OEM diameter?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

ZiprHead wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:52 pm
In the same vein of speed...

I've noticed on my 99 that the speed reading is about one to two miles slower than the speedometer is saying, according to GPS and traffic radar. Is that something that can be adjusted in the computer?
I'd say this is pretty typical of every car I've driven. Just like gas gauges say they're empty before you're at the "cough cough sputter" point, I think the manufacturer wants to err on the side of you going a little slower than you thought you were. Avoiding a nuisance lawsuit asking them to pay for your speeding ticket, legal fees, and increased insurance rates for getting pulled going 1 MPH over the limit in Waldo, FL is in their interest.

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

Thanks for the responses, guys.

OEM tire size, in fact just had them replaced with the same result.

I guess I never noticed on my other cars about the speed. I guess I just never noticed it on other cars.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Speedometers are designed to err slightly on the fast side. "Speedometers are designed to never show speeds lower than actual speed." Thomas Tetzlaff, Volkswagen Canada's media relations manager, wrote in an email. "In order to do this... they will necessarily always show speeds slightly in excess of actual speeds."

Why is there a built-in factor of error for speedometers? Speed is a measure of distance over time. That's what the GPS is showing. But speedometers figure this out by measuring how fast the wheels are spinning using the speed sensor in the transmission.

If the diameter of the wheels changes – and it does change, depending on tire size, pressure and wear – the accuracy of the speedometer gets thrown off.

Car and Driver wrote about this more than a decade ago, and their explanation still stands.

"Normal wear and underinflation reduce the diameter of the tire, causing it to spin faster and produce an artificially high reading," writes Frank Marcus. "Overinflation or oversize tires slow down the speedometer."

98_Q45

AZhitman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:01 am
Why do you care if people pass you? Are you harmed? How do you know what "everyone thinks"?

You're projecting - look it up. You can't assume "annoyance" from inside a car. That's bordering on mental illness.

"It’s just so annoying how people drive nowadays." Are you a grandmother? Your sample size is incredibly limited, both geographically and statistically. It's a silly, overly-broad statement.

Here's the biggest concern: You speed up and cut someone off because you're afraid of a windshield chip on a $1000 car?

You need to stay off the road. You're the problem - people get shot for acting like that.

Other drivers aren't the problem. Your inexperience and flawed thinking is the issue. Chill out and drive. You've not been harmed.

Better yet, go get some track experience and enroll in a HPDE course or three.

Here’s the thing: since I wrote this post I’ve had 2 instances of what I was referring to. One example was someone who was tailgating me even though I was going 70 in a 65 on the highway, The b**** (driving a Murano) then switches Lanes and floors it, knowing there’s already another truck in the passing lane. Then the b**** switches lanes right in front of me, not even using a signal! At that point, I was feeling disrespected...I tried to ignore it...but a few minutes later I sped up and got right on their a** and turned my high beams on, and quickly switched lanes.

Why does that s*** annoy me? Imagine if the same b**** butted you in line at the grocery store? And I’m a big dude. People never cut me in person, so thinking they can because they drive a newer or bigger suv gets in my last.

I’ve replaced windshields, condensers, foglights, paint jobs...due to childish people who drive like that. I have a right to get mad: if they do it to a cop car (and they know it’s wrong so why do it to me), they would be dragged out the car, and given a ticket.

Am I better person for acting like them? No. But I have on several times do the same maneuver they do to me, to let them know I’m no grandma behind the wheel lol. I’m a safe and courteous driver usually until someone takes that for weakness.

The other instance, just last week: some woman was blowing horn while my friend was following me to his house. The b**** then turns around and starts cursing at us. She almost died that night. My friend was ready to drag her. But I felt it was my fault because I put my car in neutral at the light because it was doing its thing that it does in under 40 degree weather...which is stall out when coming to a stop.

Almost my car is not $1,000 lol. It was when I brought it, but I’ve put in more than that.

Oh and a 3rd instance: I was the first car in line in a merging lane. I let one car go ahead, then a Truck speeds up to prevent me from changing. There was a whole row of cars ahead and behind. I got so mad, I f*** floored it and went right thru the next light. Do we need to see who can get to their destination faster? Lol. And that’s not something I do. It just brings out the worse. I took drivers ed in high school, 2 defensive driving courses, seen family and friends get injured and killed in accidents. The road isn’t for taking out anger or playing games.

But I lived my whole childlife people treating me like nothing because I don’t have the latest or greatest. I refuse to put up with that every time I get behind the wheel.

At the same time I never let it get out of hand. I never follow or do more than 1 “lesson”. I keep my windows rolled up and don’t yell or get out of the car at any point, because that constitutes road rage. But I will communicate I was offended. Most get the hint and don’t escalate.

AZhitman
Administrator

Lots of big talk until you throw a bitchfit in front of the wrong person and get your melon splattered all over the windshield.

Stay off the road. You're not a victim. You've not been harmed. Period.

I got so mad, I f*** floored it and went right thru the next light

No, you're not "a safe and courteous driver."

You're a petulant juvenile emotionally-charged twit with no skills, and you need an adult to slap the piss out of you before you get yourself or someone else killed. Two defensive driving courses? LOL

98_Q45

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:22 pm
Lots of big talk until you throw a bitchfit in front of the wrong person and get your melon splattered all over the windshield.

Stay off the road. You're not a victim. You've not been harmed. Period.

I got so mad, I f**king floored it and went right thru the next light

No, you're not "a safe and courteous driver."

You're a petulant juvenile emotionally-charged twit with no skills, and you need an adult to slap the piss out of you before you get yourself or someone else killed. Two defensive driving courses? LOL
Lol...I’ve got to credit you for putting the fire in my arse. I am having a good laugh.

But seriously: you’re telling me you don’t get annoyed at these things either? If someone cut you off, and threw a rock and chipped your windshield...and 3 months later it cracked, and then you’re looking at $400 for a new one? Especially that first example? Or a rock went dead into your condenser, and all the refrigerant sizzled off? Which meant replacing condenser, drier, and paying $120 for a recharge? That wouldn’t annoy you just a little bit? Oh...and it’s the middle of May, and you’ve got to drive from North Carolina to Florida. And it’s raining and 90 degrees out?? All because some inconsiderate ***hole wanted to steal a few feet of Lane space from you?

I don’t think I need to stop driving, I think entitled idiots need to stay home. I’ve driven 2 cars more than 100,000 miles, and in 20,000 more miles, the Q will have been driven 100,000 miles also. All those miles have been accident free except for cases where OTHER people have hit me (once I did hit a traffic light, but that was years ago and I learned my lesson not to come off the off ramp at 90 mph).

I don’t know if I’m just generally more irritated by people, or if people are just worse driving, or perhaps it is a state by state thing since I relocate often (I see more courtesy in Montana than I would in Florida, for example).

AZhitman
Administrator

My points stand as stated. Babble all you want, you'e coming off as unhinged and entitled.

We're not talking about me. IDGAF if I get a busted windshield, because there's absolutely zero correlation with following distance or being "cut off." You're delusional.

If a rock busted your condenser (which I doubt VERY, VERY seriously) and you blame another driver, that's mental illness. Period.

Instead of ranting, seek help for your impulse control issues. Know why? Because you can't do s*** about other drivers.

98_Q45

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:17 pm
My points stand as stated. Babble all you want, you'e coming off as unhinged and entitled.

We're not talking about me. IDGAF if I get a busted windshield, because there's absolutely zero correlation with following distance or being "cut off." You're delusional.

If a rock busted your condenser (which I doubt VERY, VERY seriously) and you blame another driver, that's mental illness. Period.

Instead of ranting, seek help for your impulse control issues. Know why? Because you can't do s*** about other drivers.
Your assumption is in error. I actually seen a semi hurl a large rock at my bumper (unintentionally), and few minutes later when I pulled off to pick up my oil filter at Nissan...I could see the “steam” from the condenser. Few minutes later, I had no a/c. This was years ago in the Maxima, which normally I had a car bra on for that reason. That day, I didn’t have it on.

There is a correlation between following distance and being cut off. If the car ahead of you is not more than 3 seconds from the point it passes and your bumper, it’s too close. That’s how I drive. I don’t need someone closing in on my space. This is not nascar. I’m not trying to catch a “DRAFT”. And I damn sure am not trying to be the recipient of someone who gets mad at me because I’m driving the speed limit.

Anyhow...we’ve gotten so far off the topic. What’s the best speed? I see most cars flying by at 80-85. I feel the Q is most steady and comfortable at 70-75. I also notice a unexpectedly smooth cruise at 90-95 mph as well...usually after someone disrespects me and they think, “wow, grandma is PISSED, now she’s pushing 250 HP” lol.

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

In my 95 Q45, I think i get the best MPG at 70-75. At 80 or higher, the MPG drops off noticeably. Probably because it's a 4 speed transmission, which is ancient nowadays. Most cars have, what, 5 speeds or more. Those new Mustangs have 10 speed slushboxes!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”