What did I buy - 2017 Pathfinder & buyers remorse

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RZ.
Car: 2017 Pathfinder S

Hello Nissan family!

One week ago (tomorrow), I bought a 2017 Pathfinder S. It’s cheap family transportation, which is all I really wanted - but having done some serious mods to early 2000’s model fronty/xterras, I was hoping to un- soccer mom this pathfinder asap.

It didn’t take much internet searching to figure out that mods are not going to happen anytime soon (since there is zero aftermarket support right now).

Apparently what MAY happen soon, is that this CVT transmission may take a crap on me. ... and I’m hoping that the several references I’ve seen to blown head gaskets is something Nissan addressed in the 2017 update to “DD” on the VQ35.

That explains the ‘buyers remorse’ part of my thread title - now for the reason I typed all that: What did I buy?

I’m new to this forum, but not to forums in general - so I know more than one helpful contributor is going to tell me to use the search function. I have and I will continue to - but I’m also going to ask for information right here & now.

Can anyone tell me what options I may have for interchangeability with previous motors & non-cvt transmissions?
I know ‘anything’ can be swapped with enough time & money - and if it comes to that, I just might. But for now, what are the basics on this VQ setup - does it share mounting brackets with older models? Does the bellhousing pattern remain unchanged from previous generations? Are there folks out there swapping their CVT’s for trans/tcase from other models?

Thanks for taking the time to read all that - looking forward to spending some time here & learning a few things.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Sorry to say, nothing on the '17 fits up with older models. Nissan has failed many owners with this particular model engine design. A recent post here is just one such troubling issue. nissan-pathfinder-check-engine-light-at ... 25329.html

RZ.

Thanks for the reply, mdmellott!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I can add this: A manual swap is all but ruled out, because of the wiring. You'd need the entire harness, ECU, all modules from the donor vehicle, and a good grasp of CAN-BUS wiring functions... and even then, it's all integrated with the HVAC, ICE, and safety equipment.

Better off selling it and buying what you wanted.

RZ.

Thanks AZhitman - I appreciate that input.

In the past, I’ve bought a wrecked donor so I’d have ECU’s & harnesses to work from. Sourced info on pinouts and fabbed a custom harness to mate newer motor to older chassis. It was all a lot of fun & satisfying work when it all worked like it should & ran for years (still going as far as I know).

But that was a much cooler vehicle than this impulse buy R52. I really want to like it, but the more I read, the more I wonder how long it will be trade-in-able!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”