What could this ticking/knocking come from?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Mustangs_Suck

Alright, well in order to keep this car running, it needs to be revved and all that...so i think i've revved it in neutral (yes there is brand new clean oil in it) probably about 10 times in like 3 months...up to about 5K at most. I changed the spark plugs and thought everything was well, but the engine started running like poo, and i couldn't figure it out. Well turns out that spark plug #2 wasn't connected all the way because the tip of the old spark plug broke off in the connection of the spark plug wire.. i dug it out, snapped it on, and it started it up like a charm... I have this knocking coming from the back of the engine, if it's a cylinder (hope to GOD it's not) it's only one of em as it just goes *knock knock knock* steady rhythm, not more than one thing. My friend thought it was my rocker arms maybe, but the previous owner said there are no rocker arms cause it's an OHC engine.. Any clue what it could be? Do you think revving the engine with spark plug #2 not ALL the way could of misfired something and given me some bad knock?? The knock speeds up with the engine, and is pretty loud when the hood is up.. any ideas? Thanks!M.S.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

If you have the SOHC they are notorious for poor valvetrain oiling which makes for a loud lifter tick. You may have a worn valvetrain component that is making this worse. Revving the engine cold can wear components very quickly in the valvetrain... you may have a worn tappet.

Mustangs_Suck

Yep it's the SOHC modded to hell :D Are the lifters right at the back of the engine? Like right in front of the windshield almost?I know cold revving it is bad..i hope i didn't mess anything up, but my damn new battery keeps getting it's juice drained from it.so i have to, to keep everything lubricated and running.. Are tappets or the lifters able to be changed for not too much money and get rid of that tick/knock?

Thanks!M.S.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

You have rocker arms, not lifters. Rocker arms can get expensive if you replace all 12 of them (i paid $360 when i put new ones in with my cam in Jan, but i got them from the dealership, bad idea). But if you have a bad lubrication problem to them, changing them out will only ruin your new ones. Best advice i can give is pull your valve cover off and take a look at them. If you see abnormal wear on a few, try to see why. Are they bone dry? Do they have oil? Are your rocker arm bolts tightened enough? One other thing i might check is the condition of all my plugs. If the one at the back of the engine is white and the others are black, you may not be getting enough fuel to that cylinder (probably not tho). Hope something here helps you out! Long live the SOHC!

Mustangs_Suck

Hey thanks for all the ideas! Once i get some good ole tools from my friends and get some time (probably this weekend) I'll do what you said and check em all out. HOPEFULLY this is just a simple thing..if it's a cylinder..i'm gonna cry. :( :(

Thanks for everything!M.S.

SWIFT_DRIFT

Quote »if it's a cylinder..i'm gonna cry.[/quote] LOL:yesnod

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”