what are these oil for???

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Smartidiot

Hello Guys,

Here comes a newbie question..

I am about to do my 96000km maintainence and I have been told that I need to flush some oil in my G35 Coupe..

My question is.. can anybody tell me waht each oil is for?And also.. due to my monthly budget concer, I may not be able to flush all the oil at once.. so can someone prioritize the importance of each oil so that I know which one to flush first...

Tranmission oilradiator oilrear diffusal oilbreak oilpower steering oil

Thank you guys in advance...

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

Smartidiot wrote:Hello Guys,

Here comes a newbie question..

I am about to do my 96000km maintainence and I have been told that I need to flush some oil in my G35 Coupe..

My question is.. can anybody tell me waht each oil is for?And also.. due to my monthly budget concer, I may not be able to flush all the oil at once.. so can someone prioritize the importance of each oil so that I know which one to flush first...

Tranmission oilradiator oilrear diffusal oilbreak oilpower steering oil

Thank you guys in advance...
transmission fluid is for your transmission.theres no oil in the radiator, its coolant you want.rear diffusal? I think you mean differential... its the thing under your car in the middle of both your wheels.brake fluid is for brakes.power steering fluid is for power steering.

your diff oil and tranny oil should be okay for now...

flush your radiator since summer is coming

Smartidiot

adrians_s13 wrote:
transmission fluid is for your transmission.theres no oil in the radiator, its coolant you want.rear diffusal? I think you mean differential... its the thing under your car in the middle of both your wheels.brake fluid is for brakes.power steering fluid is for power steering.

your diff oil and tranny oil should be okay for now...

flush your radiator since summer is coming
so does it mean that

radiator flush = engine coolant flush?

Another question that I have here...

is Engine de-carbonization the same as tranmission oil flush?

sorry for these dumb questions...I just dont want to sound like an idiot when i talk to the people from the carshop ......

and last one.. what is the purpose of doing a in-cabin filter change??

Does it give me cleaner air or something?

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Judging by your questions, I would recommend you take your car to a dealer or a trusted shop. It won't cost that much to replenish your fluids.

Engine "de-carbonization" sounds like something you would put into a high-mileage engine ( >100k) to clean of the valves. DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR OIL OR FUEL!!!

The in-cabin filter is a just what it sounds like, a filter to clean incoming air to the HVAC system. Replace after 15k or 2 years.

adrianfromthecastle

Smartidiot wrote:so does it mean that

radiator flush = engine coolant flush?
radiator is what cools teh engine
Smartidiot wrote:Another question that I have here...

is Engine de-carbonization the same as tranmission oil flush?
engine is separate from the transmission. De-carbonization is basically cleaning up all the carbon build-up that you have in your engine...

I can see that happening in like an old car like mines, but since you have a fairly newer car, I wouldn't worry too much about that... although its recommended like once a year I think...

the filter change / clean doesnt give you cleaner air necessarily, it will just free up the airflow if your filter is dirty...

I think the only thing worth worrying about is radiator flush (since summer is coming) and your 3000 mile oil change (engine). Make sure you toss in a new oil filter every time you change oil too.

turnitdown
Car: 2004g35x

I had oil change, transmission flush, and brake fluid flush today at the dealer. It cost $437. Oh they wash and vacuum the G too.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

wow....$437, for less than $60 in fluids. ohh, you pay for that wash and vacuum!!!

Smartidiot

adrians_s13 wrote: radiator is what cools teh engine

engine is separate from the transmission. De-carbonization is basically cleaning up all the carbon build-up that you have in your engine...

I can see that happening in like an old car like mines, but since you have a fairly newer car, I wouldn't worry too much about that... although its recommended like once a year I think...

the filter change / clean doesnt give you cleaner air necessarily, it will just free up the airflow if your filter is dirty...

I think the only thing worth worrying about is radiator flush (since summer is coming) and your 3000 mile oil change (engine). Make sure you toss in a new oil filter every time you change oil too.
thanks a lot adrians_s13now all i need to do is to find a good carshop in town to do my servicing..

you dont happen to live in Toronto and know a good carshop here too.. do U?

adrianfromthecastle

Smartidiot wrote:you dont happen to live in Toronto and know a good carshop here too.. do U?
haha... sorry... I don't...

bone_stock_240
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45

Are you looking for an infiniti dealership, or are you just looking to take it to some random shop in Toronto??

adrianfromthecastle

oh and fyi... if you do all the changes yourself, it would be tons cheaper than $437...

1 quart of like redline motor oil = $10x 5 or whatever... = $50oem nissan filter = $10----------------------------------oil change = ~$60

radiator coolant = $6 per galx2 or however many it takes to fill----------------------------------less than ~$20

both of which can be done by you... I'd say as far as the mechanically inclined goes, difficulty is maybe 3 out of 10, with 10 being the hardest.

diff and tranny oil is a bit harder. I probably wouldn't advise you to try it yet.

bone_stock_240

Yeah man, much cheaper. If you don't care that it is done at a infiniti dealership, buy all the fluids and filters and I will help you do it. It is really easy, and I can save you a ton. If you want to have full service records when you go to sell the car, you can take it to the dealer at Morningside and 401. They have treated my friend well there.

Smartidiot

bone_stock_240 wrote:Yeah man, much cheaper. If you don't care that it is done at a infiniti dealership, buy all the fluids and filters and I will help you do it. It is really easy, and I can save you a ton. If you want to have full service records when you go to sell the car, you can take it to the dealer at Morningside and 401. They have treated my friend well there.
Hello BoneStock...

Thanks a lot for the info.. I too know that it'd save me couple of hundred bucks if I know how to do it by myself..

I am not planning to bring my baby to the dealer as they'd prolly charge me more than CAD$100 jsut by looking under the car...

but the thing is..I have never done this by msyelf in my life and I really really love my car (since I just got it last month).. so I am looking for a reputable private carshop I can rely on going forward...

from your profile, it seems like you are from the GTA area too, do you by any chance know any good carshop (or youself) which you highly recommend?

I live in North York so anywhere near Markham, Scarborough, North York, Richmond Hill is fine...

thanks again..

bone_stock_240

I don't have any carshops that I could recommend because I do my own work. I have no problem helping you do it yourself though. That way you won't have to rely on taking it somewhere to get it done in the future. I live right near the 401/404

adrianfromthecastle

bone_stock_240 wrote:I don't have any carshops that I could recommend because I do my own work. I have no problem helping you do it yourself though. That way you won't have to rely on taking it somewhere to get it done in the future. I live right near the 401/404
"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime"- Don't know the author

bone_stock_240

Damn you!!!! I am so hungry. Now I want to go to the bar and get fish and chips. I sex fish and chips.

Smartidiot

bone_stock_240 wrote:Damn you!!!! I am so hungry. Now I want to go to the bar and get fish and chips. I sex fish and chips.
Thanks a lot Bone_stock..I can pay you for the hours that you spend teaching me...

I guess I will start by the basic Enging oil change..

but i dont have any required tools (if there is any..)

also.. I heard that it'd be cheaper in the long run if i can get a washable filter (K&N hi-flow filter) than using a NISSA OEM filter.

is that true?? if it is.. where do I get the filter from???

my msn is "[email protected]"

bone_stock_240

Nah man, no need to pay me. I have tools that will be required. Only need very basic ones anyways. You can buy the K&N filters from Canadian Tire, but I am not 100% sure if that is a good idea. I hear oiled filters are not good for the mass airflow sensor. Talk to the G guys and see what everyone's opinion is.

All you have to do is buy the fluids and filters. Don't forget the most important fluid of all when you are doing car work ... .... beer. I will add you to msn when I get home from work and we can figure out a day to do this. It won't take all that long.

adrianfromthecastle

bone_stock_240 wrote: I hear oiled filters are not good for the mass airflow sensor. Talk to the G guys and see what everyone's opinion is.
yeah, it isn't at first... that sh1t really messes with your mafs... then you'll wonder why your car has a really low idle when you hit a stop light....

Smartidiot

bone_stock_240 wrote:Nah man, no need to pay me. I have tools that will be required. Only need very basic ones anyways. You can buy the K&N filters from Canadian Tire, but I am not 100% sure if that is a good idea. I hear oiled filters are not good for the mass airflow sensor. Talk to the G guys and see what everyone's opinion is.

All you have to do is buy the fluids and filters. Don't forget the most important fluid of all when you are doing car work ... .... beer. I will add you to msn when I get home from work and we can figure out a day to do this. It won't take all that long.
haha.. that sounds great.. i can bring a case of 24 if u like....

just a quqestion though.. where do i buy the Infiniti OEM filter?

from the dealer??

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Smartidiot wrote:just a question though.. where do i buy the Infiniti OEM filter?

from the dealer??
You could do that, yes. But you can get better prices from one of our sponsors. Call Joe Tsensky at http://www.everythinginfiniti.com ... his prices are excellent, particularly if you buy the oil filters in more than 1 quantities.

Don't forget to get the copper drain plug crush washers too. When you replace the engine oil, you have to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the engine to remove the old oil. When you replace the plug, you need this copper washer - let it "crush" down when you tighten the bolt, so that it ensures a tight seal.

But, if you don't mind my saying so, doing much of the stuff you talk about here, requires some basic knowledge of car care. If you are not careful, you could mess things up without realizing it. Like knowing about the drain plug washers and using new ones each time - no replacement of the old one allowed!

With engine oil and filters, it is relatively inexpensive to get these OEM filters & drain plug washers and get some local auto shop to change the oil and filter for you. I don't like the idea of crawling under my car, so I buy my own oil (6 qts of Mobil 1 0W-40 for about $42, oil filters/washer (about $6.5 or so) and get the work done for about $12 (US).

Z

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

bone_stock_240 wrote:Nah man, no need to pay me. I have tools that will be required. Only need very basic ones anyways. You can buy the K&N filters from Canadian Tire, but I am not 100% sure if that is a good idea. I hear oiled filters are not good for the mass airflow sensor. Talk to the G guys and see what everyone's opinion is.

That right there is what makes NICO such a great platform for learning things. A guy is willing to help out another member with something the latter isn't sure how to do. You rock man.

To the original poster. Make sure you get some good oil in your car to help prevent any future problems. Spend the extra money you are gonna save with getting it done yourself and get some good fluids. Doesn't have to be top of the line stuff, just some good, reputable stuff. I am sure bone_stock can guide you in the right direction.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Smartidiot

You can save yourself a ton of money in vehicle maintenance costs by investing in a couple of hundred dollars in toolsStart with a socket set with both 1/2 and 1/4 in drive.The oil drain plug takes a 1/2 drive 14mm socket.To remove the fiberboard cover to access the oil filter takes a 1/4 drive 10mm socket. I use my cordless drill with a 1/4 drive adapter for the socket.Get yourself a decent set of ramps and a 3 ton hydraulic jack & place under the jack points. See owners manual!I jack up each side of my G35 & place a ramp under each front wheel.The OEM oil filters at the dealer run about $8 or $9 each & I buy three at a time. I buy my oil on sale at Pep Boys and just bought a case of 12 quarts for $12 last Sunday. I have been changing my own oil every 3k miles or so for the last 40 years. All other fluids can be easily checked and you'll only have to visit the dealer if and when something major ever happens.

Good luck

Telcoman

Smartidiot

telcoman wrote:Smartidiot

You can save yourself a ton of money in vehicle maintenance costs by investing in a couple of hundred dollars in toolsStart with a socket set with both 1/2 and 1/4 in drive.The oil drain plug takes a 1/2 drive 14mm socket.To remove the fiberboard cover to access the oil filter takes a 1/4 drive 10mm socket. I use my cordless drill with a 1/4 drive adapter for the socket.Get yourself a decent set of ramps and a 3 ton hydraulic jack & place under the jack points. See owners manual!I jack up each side of my G35 & place a ramp under each front wheel.The OEM oil filters at the dealer run about $8 or $9 each & I buy three at a time. I buy my oil on sale at Pep Boys and just bought a case of 12 quarts for $12 last Sunday. I have been changing my own oil every 3k miles or so for the last 40 years. All other fluids can be easily checked and you'll only have to visit the dealer if and when something major ever happens.

Good luck

Telcoman
Thanks guys..I too want to learn how to change oils and do maintenance by myself on a regular basis.. but i don't know anybody who is into this field and i am really afarid of going under the car by myself in case if i screw something up...

...it'd be nice if someone can walk me through everything the first time i do it.....

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

I left off a few items in my previous post.

Take an OEM oil filter into a PEP Boys or any major auto supply store as you will need an oil filter cap wrench to remove the oil filter with your 1/4 inch drive socket setYou will also need a plastic container in which to drain the oil. I also use a funnel to hold under the drain plug as the old oil drains into the plastic container. I save old 2 & 3 quart orange juice containers. I then fill them with the used motor oil and drop them off at Pep Boys when they are closed. Do not dump old used oil. Here in NJ any place that does oil changes is required to accept used motor oil. If you want to drive to NJ I'll show you how. Oh I also use a creeper that rolls me under the car. You can get by without it if you can find a level clean concrete driveway?

Have fun

Telcoman

szh

telcoman wrote:Get yourself a decent set of ramps and a 3 ton hydraulic jack & place under the jack points. See owners manual!I jack up each side of my G35 & place a ramp under each front wheel.
Yes! This is very, very important!

Please don't just use the jack that came with the car (designed to lift it for tire changes). Personally, I consider locking jack-stands insufficient too - a good set of ramps is essential to avoid any accidents. If you are under the car when a simple jack tips over, or a jack or jack-stand fails (even the good hydraulic ones), it is goodbye for you!

Z

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

*knocks on wood*

telcoman

szhosain

You are correct. Sorry I just assumed that no one would use the jack that came with the vehicle to change the oil. In fact to be safe it should never be used at all. Sears runs a special from time to time that includes a 3 ton heavy duty hydraulic jack as well as two jack stands.As far as changing a tire, I would never do it on a busy road. I recommend AAA . Call them and let them either change the tire or flatbed you to the nearest Goodyear or any other tire dealer. Even if you don't want or keep the emergency tire it is safer & cheaper than if you injure yourself changing a tire. With AAA plus you get free flatbed towing service of up 100 miles. It is well worth the money for the entire family in case of an emergency. Here in NJ if you breakdown on the NJ Turnpike you first have to get towed off by a turnpike authorized tow truck which will tow you to the next exit & then get a AAA tow truck. The AAA reimburses for the turnpike tow and prevents a motorist from getting ripped off.

Telcoman

bone_stock_240

G_whizz wrote:*knocks on wood*
hahaha. Don't worry, I have low profile ramps, jackstands, and a proper jack. If anything does happen to me while I am helping smartidiot out, I want you guys to avenge my death.

szh

bone_stock_240 wrote:hahaha. Don't worry, I have low profile ramps, jackstands, and a proper jack.
Good!
bone_stock_240 wrote:If anything does happen to me while I am helping smartidiot out, I want you guys to avenge my death.
Got it!

Z

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”