Wetter water - What do you guys think

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
gunslingerdoc
Car: 2007 G35 SEDAN

Ok well the grand plan of getting the G so I could save on fuel costs over the ford 250 aint quite working out since Im driving the hell out of the G....I've noticed I can actually get my temp gauge to move north after a few spirited runs...

Ive used a product called wetter water to keep temps down on bikes and ATV's and had good luck before.

Anyone using it in their G cars?

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Waste of money. It might drop the temps a few degrees, but don't expect much.

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

I think you'd have better luck peeing in your radiator reservoir! I think that wetter water stuff is probably snake oil...

Dave

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Supposedly, it reduces the surface tension of water, allowing for better heat transfer. Assuming it does this adequately, the cooling system may operate more efficiently, but overall temperature probably won't change as the thermostat is still going to open and shut based on the coolant temperature. It may open for shother periods but more often though. Not sure if it might change the specific heat of the coolant mixture.

Infiniti Chica
Car: 2004 Sedan- Sport package

My limited understanding of "water wetter" is that it actually IS NOT designed to lower your car's total coolant temperature: it is, however, designed specifically to reduce hot spots on say, your cylinder head, where it works by decreasing the build-up of water vapor in any superheated areas. This apparently can promote pre-ignition. Think Smokey Yunick's theory of "soft combustion chambers". I think Redline has a comprehensive brochure with good data and research behind it.

Is it worth it.... racers would say absolutely, as a commoner I'd vote no.

Now I'll wait for the deluge of dissertations on my understanding.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

gunslingerdoc wrote:Ok well the grand plan of getting the G so I could save on fuel costs over the ford 250 aint quite working out since Im driving the hell out of the G....I've noticed I can actually get my temp gauge to move north after a few spirited runs...

Ive used a product called wetter water to keep temps down on bikes and ATV's and had good luck before.

Anyone using it in their G cars?
I've heard of guys in the mustang club using it when they would track their cars....maybe Jeff has used it..

infinitgkid
Car: '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe

where i'm from; to cool hot motors, we don't use all these fancy chemicals n' such, we have far more advanced methods!

Method for cooling hot motors:Materials needed:1 roll duct tape2-5 bags of ice

Instructions:Place bag of ice on motor, and apply as much duct tape as needed.

***In the event of hood not going back to original position, apply as much duct tape as needed to return hood as close to the original position as possible.***

gotta love the south! lol

TeflonG35
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

You're going to have your infinit sit in your front yard when it dies aren't you? Like an old chevelle.

infinitgkid
Car: '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe

TeflonG35 wrote:You're going to have your infinit sit in your front yard when it dies aren't you? Like an old chevelle.
LOL! no no no, i wouldn't do that... I'd keep it in the garage, but i'm just sayin, a lot of people do that kinda stuff where i'm from.

Even some of the shops down here do that when they have a car on the dyno, except without the duct tape... I hear it works pretty well too...

Infiniti Chica

infinitgkid wrote: Even some of the shops down here do that when they have a car on the dyno, except without the duct tape... I hear it works pretty well too...
I'd be afraid to get sick or require surgery where you live-- they'd likely use a hacksaw, channel locks and needle nose pliers to fix a broken leg.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

The South is the place to be!!Especially since we have indoor plumbing now!

Let me retract that statement....(thinks about all of the northerners that have relocated here and how crowded his little town has become.......)

The NORTH is the place to be!!! You guys have it SOO good that you should stay up there!!

Infiniti Chica

SVTCOBRA wrote:The South is the place to be!!Especially since we have indoor plumbing now!
I distinctly remember waxing my car while in the south and all the flies and bugs chasing it down the street. At malls or even at home, a fresh coat of Zymol, that sweet smelling wax, attracted bugs like a light bulb. Was wondering of the wax was causing pheromone euphoria and if so, maybe I should try some, or maybe the bugs in the south just happen to get excited quickly.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

can't hurt...

If your temp gauge is running above the middle I'd try replacing the coolant and running a flush through the motor/radiator to remove deposits.

I have used water wetter before, didn't notice a difference.

On the Hemi I installed a Mercury Sable 3.1 electric fan and a 180 degree thermostate. Even when the overhead temp gauge said 127 degrees crawling down I-10 the truck still ran a 1/2 the temp gauge and the AC stayed cool. At the track I could flip a switch between runs and run just the efan so my motor was always cold for racing

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I have used WW in the past, but I have no idea how well it worked. Honestly, I had forgotten about it - but I think I'll get a bottle this year.

I know that Dennis (a/k/a Q45Tech) uses it and has seen something in his Consult trials that indicates it's worthwhile. I certainly don't think it would hurt anything...

Heath

Jacko3

Gunslingerdoc:

For some reason, the radiator and cooling system in most cars have failed to garner and reliable research on how to overcome heating problems. It is the one area of a car that remains a mystery to auto designers.

Anything sold to you as a panacea for heating, is more snake oil than solution. Don't buy it. Even if it works, it will be so temporary such that the cost will remain unjustifiable. It used to be that way with tires, but that is slowly chabging with better tires.

Best solution----flush your radiator system and change your thermostat. If it doesn't work, buy a new radiator form the dealership. Avoid buying one at your neighborhood after market shop. Get OEM.

gunslingerdoc
Car: 2007 G35 SEDAN

I had a bottle laying around so I dumped it in...G-car is at the shop getting the front end fixed where hit and run grandpa worked his magic so I really wont know for a week until I get it back...I think an extra fan sounds like a good idea at some point. RIght now Im pretty pleased with the intakes, and brakes...Ive still got to do the exhaust....Im back driving the ford 250 this week....bummer I miss the g-ride...New girlfriend sure like the g better but its hard to make out if the damn thing!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”