1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

All around bad things. Brad Wardell (head of Stardock, former owners and creators of Impulse) obviously talks positive about the sale, but as a gaming consumer I find it hard to see any good in store.

For those not aware of Impulse, it's a Steam-like digital distribution platform. What has made Impulse special is that its operators stood up for the rights of gamers. I've quoted Wardell on NICO a few times in DRM discussions.

One question this raises is obviously whether Impulse's attitude toward consumer rights and DRM will remain. But for me that's not at all the big issue. The big issue for me is that I despise Gamestop. I don't like how they operate, particularly in regards to preorders and product launches. I make a point of avoiding spending money at Gamestop unless I have to. Despite my cynical viewpoint of the idea of "voting with dollars" I have no desire to help validate Gamestop's business model with my own purchases. I'd much rather redirect that money into local shops or even big supermarkets who at least keep non-absurd hours and occasionally offer discounts or gift cards that you'll never see at Gamestop.

So for me, Impulse is no longer an option. I'd never have bought a digital download from Gamestop before, and the giant's acquisition of Impulse changes nothing there. I simply don't care to support Gamestop with my dollars.

Gamestop also bought Spawn Labs, a cloud gaming service that I'd never paid any mind to before because cloud gaming is a stupid idea that needs to go away and die quietly in a corner.

Pretty disappointing news.

Amays U G37S
Car: shoes

Cloud gaming - Stupid and intense moments of Lag, if not streaming lag completely.

I do not like Gamestop either. Especially with the trade in characteristics and rules they have on games - They sell for 15-20 used, give you 7 dolla! However, the wide selection of games to console gamers will always keep that business a float no matter how bad they become. Plus i've never believed in Pre-Order's either so.

Best Buy is a large game competitor and I hardly see anyone in the PC game selection, much less xbox or ps3. Then you go to Gamestop and its crowded.

:gotme

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Amazon ftw.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Stardock...makers of one of my favorite games, Sins of Solar Empire?

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I dont believe in preorders and hate going to game stores as well.

All the gaming stores buy for super low and sell for $5 off original value pretty much no matter how old it is. You might as well just buy a new one and not deal with a headache if the disc is scratched and no warranty. When Game Crazy was still around, I literally got pennies for some games, and the most recent games only gave me $5 bucks tops! wtf. AND, my buddy was telling me that if you buy an online game say MW2, you have to pay $10 for the online license to even play the game online (for PS3 atleast). So a used copy for 54.99 + tax + $10 + plus any bullcrap membership that takes off 10% that you pay $25 for. I only wanna pay $40 at most for a USED game that half the time doesn't even come with the book.

Sorry if I missed the point. /rant

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

ScorchedNX2K wrote:Stardock...makers of one of my favorite games, Sins of Solar Empire?
Stardock are the publishers of Sins, but not the developers. They do make their own games as well, though.

Return to “Gaming”